Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0W30 or 5W30

Views : 55501

Replies : 194

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2021, 19:55   #141
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

By what factor 'better' flow & 'better' economy out of interest? Demonstrably it does, but are there any stats on how material the improvement is?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 20:45   #142
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Its not a gimmick. Dealer prices for average (quality made) oil are however a farce.
0w is better oil than 5w quality wise, and gives faster flow and lubrication during startup, plus improvement in economy and emissions during warmup. Yes 5w is ok for uk, but 0w does hold advantages. Its not about cold pumpability at -35 vs -30 etc but other things.
So yeah, 5w30 is ok, but 0w30 is better not a gimmick.
Its a money gimmick, not a gimmick as in its no good.

Indeed, the prices dealerships charge for oil are ridiculous.

5w30 is fine... no problem using it here in the UK & that's what I'm sticking with... We don't live in Alaska after all.

I noticed no difference with economy whatsoever between 0w30 & 5w30. I understand that the difference between viscosity isn't just about temperature ranges, but that's what the "w" stands for... winter. 0w30 would be better in colder temperatures, lubricating the engine faster because its thinner etc, but how often do we see these cold temperatures to realistically make a difference as to how fast the engine gets lubricated in the morning? Yes, we had a cold snap this winter with snow & frost, but nothing compared to places like America. In cold climates, I can understand the reason for using 0w30 oil only.

On another note, I'd like to make a point that 5w30 is actually better than 0w30 in warmer weather conditions because its thicker than 0w30... not that we see much warm weather here, but you see my drift. 0w30 is the best in colder conditions, 5w30 is better in warmer conditions. So we don't see much cold here in the UK, but we don't see much warmth either!

5w30 is used in loads of different types of vehicles, so saying its "ok" is a slight understatement. 5w30 is used in high performance supercharged & turbocharged vehicles for example (Yes Volvo's have turbo's too, but I mean other manufacturers). Its certainly more than "ok", in fact, its a fantastic oil at a fraction of the 0w30.

Yes, I know 0w30 is what's recommended by Volvo, but paying 3x the price for Castrol just isn't justifiable for me. I know there's cheaper alternative brands of course, but 0w30 oil isn't particularly cheap in comparison to the wide array of 5w30 ones.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 18th, 2021 at 20:50.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 20:59   #143
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
In reality, using 5w30 A5/B5 instead of 0w30 A5/B5 doesn't really make much difference here in the UK. Its not an extremely cold climate, nor is it a particularly warm one.

Generally, 5w30 is much cheaper than 0w30 too. From a servicing perspective, you can save a lot on your oil changes by using 5w30. Volvo recommends Castrol, have you seen the price of it? You can, in theory, use any brand you want so long as it meets the right spec.

If we lived in a really cold climate, then I understand the use of 0w30. Here in the UK, it seems a bit over the top & more reason for dealerships/garages to charge through the roof for servicing because the 0w30 oil is expensive.

Now before anyone starts saying, "Oh, its what Volvo specify bla bla bla"... I know plenty of people that use 5w30 in their cars, instead of 0w30 & never had an issue. However, they do buy the right spec (A5/B5 for example), but just a different viscosity (5w30, instead of 0w30 for example).

Its your car & your choice at the end of the day. I'm not paying £80-£90 for 6L of Castrol because Volvo specify it. There's plenty of brands out there much cheaper & even cheaper if you go down the 5w30 route.

We don't live in the North Pole... 0w30 is just a money gimmick, in my opinion. Mobil 1 5w30 Super 3000 for example (meets A5/B5 spec)... fantastic oil & much much cheaper than Castrol.
You need to get yourself onto Volvo then as they charge less than that for 6l of proper Volvo oil, filter and sump plug washer delivered!

Volvo are very reasonable for parts on older vehicles.

I would either go to Volvo or buy a drum of the stuff off eBay.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 21:01   #144
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

My understanding is that the 0W30 is specified for improved performance and efficuency on cold starts.

I doubt it makes much difference but as a oils change, filter and sump plug washer is less that a tank of diesel I splash out any buy the good stuff. I change mine at 6-10k, why not!

I also use what Volvo specify..
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 21:40   #145
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
You need to get yourself onto Volvo then as they charge less than that for 6l of proper Volvo oil, filter and sump plug washer delivered!

Volvo are very reasonable for parts on older vehicles.

I would either go to Volvo or buy a drum of the stuff off eBay.
I've found that there's contrasting prices between different dealerships. My local one wanted that price just for the oil (just shy of £90).

5w30 is "good stuff" too. I buy the right spec (A5/B5), just slightly thicker than they recommend at a fraction of the price. 5w30 is perfectly fine for the UK climate.
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 21:47   #146
AndyV7o
Premier Member

5w30 isnt thicker except in the cold. At operating temp 0w30 and 5w30 are the same.

At 0°c there will be a notable difference between 0w and 5w. What this is I can't find out and haven't had time to get my head around using viscosity index to calculate, but take a 0w40 vs a 5w40 (since I have figures to hand) both fuchs Supersyn, 0w40 at 40° is 74.4cst and 13.2cst at 100°c, while the 5w40 at 40°c is 83.5cst and 14cst at 100°c, you can see the negligible difference at 100 vs the bigger difference at 40 where the oil is much thicker too. This is at a temp hotter than a melting uk summers day, imagine how this pans out down at 0°c... Your engine is designed to run on the 100°c viscosity... (Expansion and contraction play a part here though cold vs hot engine too)
That said, this makes it sound much more extreme than reality, it is simply to illustrate the difference that one grade can make, since the question was raised.

As previously stated, 5w30 is ok, not a particular problem, simply not -as- good/appropriate as 0w30.
0w30 is more expensive, because its more expensive to make, because it requires higher grade ingredients to work, not to fleece people.

Yes 5w30 used in other vehicles, but those are different engines. You dont put 5w30 in a Capri nor fo you put 20w50 in a D3, hence, regarding euro4 D5 5w30 is ok but the specced oil is 0w30, whereas a PSA 1.6hdi fir example is specced 5w30 to begin with. Again, since this point was raised, not nitpicking with anyone!
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 21:56   #147
lynns hubby
Master Member

I Have never paid more than £70 for the Genuine "kit" which is 6Ltr oil oil filter and sump washer.
Ebay has a couple of genuine Volvo dealers doing online kits.
Last one I used was Rybrooke Volvo.

I am sure that I could probably get the oil and filter (non genuine) for a lot less from my local factor but its not as though you are doing the old school 6000 services.
If I were changing the oil and filter twice a year then I may be tempted to use other products. Don't forget this is 18000 mile stuff
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 21:58   #148
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
I Have never paid more than £70 for the Genuine "kit" which is 6Ltr oil oil filter and sump washer.

I am sure that I could probably get the oil and filter (non genuine) for a lot less from my local factor but its not as though you are doing the old school 6000 services.
If I were changing the oil and filter twice a year then I may be tempted to use other products. Don't forget this is 18000 mile stuff
Personally I change mine at 6k but I accept that’s a little OTT...
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 23:00   #149
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post

I got 6L of oil from Halfords for £38 (Mobil 1 Super 3000 5w30, meets A5/B5 spec). The oil filter (Mann) was £9... It wasn't a filter from the dealership, but the filter Volvo sell is a Mann filter in a Volvo box anyway (its got Mann stamped on the top of it!).

I'm aware the oil is to be changed at 18,000 mile intervals & that the 0w30 is a longer life product. Remember, the service schedule is 12 months or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first). It doesn't mean you leave the oil in the car for years on end until you do 18,000 miles, as not everyone does that kind of mileage anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
5w30 isnt thicker except in the cold. At operating temp 0w30 and 5w30 are the same.

At 0°c there will be a notable difference between 0w and 5w. What this is I can't find out and haven't had time to get my head around using viscosity index to calculate, but take a 0w40 vs a 5w40 (since I have figures to hand) both fuchs Supersyn, 0w40 at 40° is 74.4cst and 13.2cst at 100°c, while the 5w40 at 40°c is 83.5cst and 14cst at 100°c, you can see the negligible difference at 100 vs the bigger difference at 40 where the oil is much thicker too. This is at a temp hotter than a melting uk summers day, imagine how this pans out down at 0°c... Your engine is designed to run on the 100°c viscosity... (Expansion and contraction play a part here though cold vs hot engine too)
That said, this makes it sound much more extreme than reality, it is simply to illustrate the difference that one grade can make, since the question was raised.

As previously stated, 5w30 is ok, not a particular problem, simply not -as- good/appropriate as 0w30.
0w30 is more expensive, because its more expensive to make, because it requires higher grade ingredients to work, not to fleece people.

Yes 5w30 used in other vehicles, but those are different engines. You dont put 5w30 in a Capri nor fo you put 20w50 in a D3, hence, regarding euro4 D5 5w30 is ok but the specced oil is 0w30, whereas a PSA 1.6hdi fir example is specced 5w30 to begin with. Again, since this point was raised, not nitpicking with anyone!
5w30 is also mentioned in the owner's manual in a chart form, as are other oil types. I understand that 0w30 is the best oil for the engine though & the points you're making. I'll stick with 5w30 though, its fine for this climate. Not as good as 0w30, but still decent stuff.

I don't want to come across like I'm nitpicking either... its a forum, its for discussion!

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 18th, 2021 at 23:06.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 23:29   #150
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Vaguely on thread, there are an awful lot of cars doing very few miles at the moment - I reckon the XC70 bus has done perhaps 12k in a year - because poorly parents, but that the other two have done barely 1000. I'm certainly going to stretch 18months between services on the S60 and C70 as a result.

ETA
The S60 is Euro 3 and has 5/40 because it needs no more, the C70 has 0/30 because I think it's worth it, by the way.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote