Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1994 Wentworth Auto Estate

Views : 5149

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 18:33   #11
bogart
Master Member

Forgot to mention that the tempremental key fob is no longer playing up. Been repaired and is now fine works 100%
And you can have a coice of CD/radio. Either the original VOLVO CT-503 or an as new Blaupunkt San Remo CD32

Last edited by bogart; Apr 2nd, 2011 at 18:35.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 14:00   #12
captain_pugwash_20
Master Member

First, is she still available?
If yes, I have some friends coming down to MK at Easter, they can give me a lift. I should be able to find the 400 by then, can you wait? My 740SE saloon 'died' last week and I almost allowed myself to be pushed into getting a smaller car, but I know I don't do smaller cars. Is she a good drive. I guess the answer is yes. Anyway, it all hinges on your reply to question 1. Take care
Bob
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 15:14   #13
bogart
Master Member

Hi

Yes still around and still working, just used to go down to the station. Yes if you've been used to something this size anything less seems very cramped. I have a V70 and the 940 is so much more roomy, and a damned sight easier to work on as you may know. With the rear seats folded down one can sleep in the back, I know I've done it often enough. She drives fine. As the ad states the bodywork has some marks the most recent being the arguement with white van man. But as already said the tax/tyres are worth nearly half the asking price.

Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to bogart For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 18:42   #14
captain_pugwash_20
Master Member

Thank you for your swift reply. Well, this looks a go-er. We're a long way apart, but it'd be a pleasure to return with her. I see Easter is a couple of weeks away, are you sure that's ok by you and is 400 ok too?
My 2 litre 740SE Auto (normally aspirated) hasn't been too bad on fuel for a car of her size. Do you think the turbo will make any difference?
Just in case you might like to trade details, my mail addie is:-
captain_pugwash_2009@yahoo.co.uk
Now I must go and lower the asking price of my dear 740. Now that I am able to think straighter, I guess I was asking rather a lot.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 18:50   #15
bogart
Master Member

The turbo obviously helps the engine power but at the expense of fuel, laws of nature. If one tries to keep the turbo boost gauge needle in the first half of the dial you'll be ok. Obviously this not possible all the time.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 21:13   #16
captain_pugwash_20
Master Member

I used to have a Mk 4 Ford Zodiac 3 litre V6 which was an ex taxi. The previous owner fitted a vacuum gauge which was great for economy, as long as I kept the needle in the green. I suppose the boost gauge on yours can be used similarly. Unlike a Volvo, the Zodiac turned to Bran Flakes underneath. Probably why you don't see many 'Dagenham Dusbins' around these days.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:02   #17
captain_pugwash_20
Master Member

correction to previous post.......'Dustbins'.

Anyway, I've been trawling through the information on Wentworth Estates on the internet and so far it shows (I think) that the Wentworth spec. is quite good. could you let me know how it differs from the standard 940? Also I saw one advert for one in Brighton and the seller claims it does 38 MPG!!! THAT'LL do for me, ha ha. However I'd like to drive at more than 5 MPH so I guess it'll be similar to my own 2 litre which although good for a big car, is, I'm sure, not THAT good, but I can wish.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 10:25   #18
captain_pugwash_20
Master Member

Sorry 'D', not enough posts yet, so cannot 'PM' you. No messing M8. Took the '38' with a pinch of salt (lol). Yes I agree, Wentworth specs. DO seem all over the place, but generally in the right direction. The only 'blot' that I could envisage is the little oil problem. I can't imagine a link between that and the heater. Oil and water springs to mind. Cosmetically I'd tackle the various 'dings' the windscreen trim and as far as I can see, the offside tail light glass. I can see a great potential from having the towbar as long as I don't overwork the 2 litres. Mine's on charge as I type, so I'll have another go at her soon to see if there's a pulse. It'd make life so much easier if there is. May I ask if there's anything you can think of that I may have to prepare myself for when the MOT comes due? Anyway, I'll continue to watch this space, or my e-mail inbox. Cheers, 'B'
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 16:07   #19
bogart
Master Member

No obvious reasons for any untoward problems at MOT time. The rear light cluster is not a fail. If I get around to it I'll try and find a windscreen clip, one should do. The oil leak def only occurs, or well did, only with the heater on. If was mine I'd lob a bottle of Forte seal restorer in, heard excellent things about it.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 18:09   #20
captain_pugwash_20
Master Member

Ah, so it's only a clip needed for the windscreen. Hmmm, I'll have a look at mine, maybe it's similar and if so, I'll pinch one (or two) off there. That is, unless you beat me to it. Forte seal restorer eh? Never heard of it, until now that is. It can't hurt to give it a try. There MUST be a light cover somewhere out there in 'Scrapland'. Then there'll be those 'dings' Mr. Whitevanman so kindly left. Oh it can't be all that bad to bring back into shape. The only reason I left my driver's door with a 'ding' from an air gun attack was that it would have meant stripping the door right down, panel beating from the back then trying to match baby blue metallic from 1989. The last quote almost gave me a coronary. Plus it was topped of with no guarantee of a perfect colour match! Decisions, decisions. I'm struggling between your in car entertainment options. It would be nice to keep with tradition and go for the Volvo system, but then, Blaupunkt have such a good reputation. Towards the time, I'm guessing it'll be a case of eeny, meeny miny mo...ha ha. Oh here's a little ecercise for you, and I suppose for anyone else who might want to try it. Go to Google Maps, type in NE24 2EL on satellite then zoom in. The big silver blue car there is my Anna-Frid. Street View brings up a better shot, especially from just into Rowley Street. THERE now, surely she's worth putting right in the right hands. She started today and ran 'lump free' and smooth for 10 seconds. So, it's got a pulse, I'm suspecting the replacement main fuel pump just fitted in January has failed. Underneath I go tomorrow to see (hopefully) if a connection has come off. Take Care 'D'
Closed Thread