Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Short trips with a Diesel car

Views : 5075

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 14:10   #21
TonyB65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
Apologies, but diesel is a completely inappropriate fuel for a car.
Lorries - where you need massive torque, then yes, but a car? Nah.

Sold to us by governments as the fuel of the future, 10 years later, it's the worst thing since coal. Helped along the way by the VW scandal.

You'd be better off with a T2/T3 if you only do short trips.

Cheers
[Rant mode on]

Firstly, I do need that torque for when I'm towing my caravan, and my well maintained V70 D5 is likely to last a lot longer than most cars, ergo it is better for the environment than some crappy Ford or Vauxhall which is likely to be a rotting hulk way before my car, not to mention the crap they chuck out of their cheap fuel systems after 50K+ miles. As a previous owner of some of those cars I can testify first hand how much crap they chuck out as they gradually disintegrate before they've even been around the clock. My V70 might not be the most economical car but the exhaust is like an angels breath compared to those cars. Anyone who has started a second hand Ford/Vauxhall on a cold winters morning and then driven it uphill/or driven behind someone doing that will know exactly what I mean.

Secondly, the same people who told us to buy diesels are now telling us to buy electric cars instead, without telling us of all the environmental pitfalls of mining for rare metals, exhausting that supply, and not explaining how all these electric vehicles are really going to be powered by proxy, which is via electricity generated by fossil fuels, and you're still prepared to listen to them?

Finally, FWIW, the element that gives life to everything on this planet, that is 0.04% of the earth's atmosphere, of which man's contribution to that 0.04% is a miniscule 3% is definitely not changing the climate in any meaningful way anyway, and to believe so is frankly absurd.

[Rant mode off]
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 15:13   #22
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Right and your car emits unicorn farts I presume and you would happily stick your mouth over the tail pipe.....

If you're so concerned about the environment, you wouldn't burn any fossil fuel for your own convenience and pleasure so let's be realistic about your green credentials.
Based on my last MOT emissions certificate, they're a lot better than people who decide to own and run oil burners.

I've attached it for your viewing pleasure

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emissions.JPG (99.1 KB, 19 views)

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 15:45   #23
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Based on my last MOT emissions certificate, they're a lot better than people who decide to own and run oil burners.

I've attached it for your viewing pleasure

Cheers
Know what, I don't care, you made your choise and I made mine.
I run a D5 and a 300tdi while not needing to justify it to anyone . I pay all taxes due on them and that is the end of the matter.

The generation before mine left the aftermath of 2 world wars for mine to deal with, the next will have to deal with mines dealing with the ****e we were left with. They call it progress but in reality it's progressive capitalism without which we all starve under the current system.

Feel smug about your choices by all means but don't try to decry mine cause it won't work, I can afford to leave both vehicles ticking over 24/7 out of spite if I choose to and bugger the consequences.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 15:47   #24
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
The Diesel emissions test doesn't require or contain comparable data so I'm unsure how you can define "better".

As has been alluded to, for every diesel with 300k miles, there's probably been 2 petrol cars needing to be consumed to achieve similar longevity.

By your rationale on emissions, 6 electric cars regularly replaced over 20 years is environmentally better than 1 well maintained diesel.
Low or zero emissions on the road is a small factor in what makes something sustainable and long sighted environmental impact requires much more scrutiny than your short sighted analysis of what you deem to be green.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 15:49   #25
jonnyf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Know what, I don't care, you made your choise and I made mine.
I run a D5 and a 300tdi while not needing to justify it to anyone . I pay all taxes due on them and that is the end of the matter.

The generation before mine left the aftermath of 2 world wars for mine to deal with, the next will have to deal with mines dealing with the ****e we were left with. They call it progress but in reality it's progressive capitalism without which we all starve under the current system.

Feel smug about your choices by all means but don't try to decry mine cause it won't work, I can afford to leave both vehicles ticking over 24/7 out of spite if I choose to and bugger the consequences.

Paul.
I’m not trying to feel smug or decry anything, I’m simply confused to why people opt to drive diesels, and in OP’s case for “short journeys only”.
“Because the government told us to” just sounds like a cop out for making a bad decision. That’s all.

Cheers

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 15:49   #26
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Apologies, but diesel is a completely inappropriate fuel for a car.
Lorries - where you need massive torque, then yes, but a car? Nah.

Sold to us by governments as the fuel of the future, 10 years later, it's the worst thing since coal. Helped along the way by the VW scandal.

You'd be better off with a T2/T3 if you only do short trips.

Cheers
Yes, because a modern petrolis so much cleaner than a modern diesel...

Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 15:50   #27
jonnyf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The Diesel emissions test doesn't require or contain comparable data so I'm unsure how you can define "better".

As has been alluded to, for every diesel with 300k miles, there's probably been 2 petrol cars needing to be consumed to achieve similar longevity.

By your rationale on emissions, 6 electric cars regularly replaced over 20 years is environmentally better than 1 well maintained diesel.
Low or zero emissions on the road is a small factor in what makes something sustainable and long sighted environmental impact requires much more scrutiny than your short sighted analysis of what you deem to be green.
Not directly comparable but apparently we were “sold the idea” that diesels are somewhat cleaner, which is simply not true.

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 15:53   #28
jonnyf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Yes, because a modern petrolis so much cleaner than a modern diesel...

They look a load better quite frankly. Plus why does London’s ULEZ allow euro 4 petrols but is much stricter with Euro 6 for diesels?

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 16:16   #29
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
They look a load better quite frankly. Plus why does London’s ULEZ allow euro 4 petrols but is much stricter with Euro 6 for diesels?
What look a load better, the limits for E6 for petrol and diesel are very similar.

The reason that it is E4 for petrol and E6 for diesel is quite simply because E4 diesels were a lot dirtier, they have cleaned up significantly in the last few years to the point where they are not much different to a petrol but people like to bury their head in the sand and stick to the diesel = bad rhetoric.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 16:18   #30
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Not directly comparable but apparently we were “sold the idea” that diesels are somewhat cleaner, which is simply not true.
I wasn't sold anything.
Diesels have greater longevity than petrols so are better in the long term when it comes to needing replacing.
You're only obsessed with emissions on the road though so you won't understand this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: