Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Short trips with a Diesel car

Views : 5079

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 16:22   #31
GMcL
0's and 1's

I'm very confused by it all.
When the shift to diesel occurred it was because we were told there was a massive hole in the ozone layer and unless CO2 emissions were brought under control we would all die. Now NOx is the enemy and people are switching back to petrol or a hybrid variant thereof. Have they cured the ozone layer and we can now freely burn petrol with no further thought ?

Secondly, electric. Over half the electricity in the UK comes from burning natural gas with a further 15% being nuclear. Claim as of right now (http://gridwatch.co.uk/) is no coal is used yet coal is not supposed to be offline until 2025. Generating electricity is not like using it where a switch can be flicked and a coal burning power station comes online.

Thirdly, it's already started. Everyone switch to electric and you'll hear all about the impact of the motor vehicle through emissions from braking systems and tyres. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48944561

It doesn't matter what you drive, governments and local authorities need revenue. They will always need more revenue never less. If they do not get it from fuel they will collect it from another source be it road tolls, congestion zones or whatever.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 18:40   #32
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Is this dependant on some other factors/conditions being true, as IIRC in the Astra and Merc 325 handbooks it mentioned something about a regen light would come on if x/y/z are met and that point it advised to maintain a constant speed until the regen was complete?

I am always on the motorway daily (doing 1,000 miles a week and never saw this happen on its own) so I just did what I mentioned in my previous post. Upon doing that, the mpg went back up accordingl to the onboard computer, car felt fractionally perkier and smoother.
From memory there has to be, I think, at least half a tank of fuel present, there maybe other variables decided before a regen is initiated, maybe someone else knows.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 18:45   #33
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
Apologies, but diesel is a completely inappropriate fuel for a car.
Lorries - where you need massive torque, then yes, but a car? Nah.

Sold to us by governments as the fuel of the future, 10 years later, it's the worst thing since coal. Helped along the way by the VW scandal.

You'd be better off with a T2/T3 if you only do short trips.

Cheers
I actually prefer the power characteristics of a diesel, surfing the wave of torque that a turbo-diesel generates instead of having to rev the tits off a petrol engine to get adequate forward motion. It's each to their own. But the mid-range is where you drive most of the time, having to extract power from an engine where it's mostly at the top end becomes tiresome very quickly. And with regard to soot (particulates) generated that's what the DPF collects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 18:51   #34
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
I actually prefer the power characteristics of a diesel, surfing the wave of torque that a turbo-diesel generates instead of having to rev the tits off a petrol engine to get adequate forward motion.
I, like you, prefer the mid-range torque a diesel gives you and never in a million years dreamed a petrol would ever get close.

Direct injection petrol engines have changed that.

I've got a four cylinder 2.3 litre petrol that gives 470Nm torque. And it has power too, best of both worlds though 21mpg has some way to go to match diesel I'll grant you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 21:21   #35
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I, like you, prefer the mid-range torque a diesel gives you and never in a million years dreamed a petrol would ever get close.

Direct injection petrol engines have changed that.

I've got a four cylinder 2.3 litre petrol that gives 470Nm torque. And it has power too, best of both worlds though 21mpg has some way to go to match diesel I'll grant you.
Ford Ecoboost?

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 21:39   #36
GMcL
0's and 1's

Yes. I've also got a 5 cylinder D3 remapped to 470-ishNm, the S60 wouldn't see which way the Focus went.

The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 23:03   #37
owyn
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I'm very confused by it all.
When the shift to diesel occurred it was because we were told there was a massive hole in the ozone layer and unless CO2 emissions were brought under control we would all die. Now NOx is the enemy and people are switching back to petrol or a hybrid variant thereof. Have they cured the ozone layer and we can now freely burn petrol with no further thought ?

Secondly, electric. Over half the electricity in the UK comes from burning natural gas with a further 15% being nuclear. Claim as of right now (http://gridwatch.co.uk/) is no coal is used yet coal is not supposed to be offline until 2025. Generating electricity is not like using it where a switch can be flicked and a coal burning power station comes online.

Thirdly, it's already started. Everyone switch to electric and you'll hear all about the impact of the motor vehicle through emissions from braking systems and tyres. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48944561

It doesn't matter what you drive, governments and local authorities need revenue. They will always need more revenue never less. If they do not get it from fuel they will collect it from another source be it road tolls, congestion zones or whatever.
The ozone layer became depleted thanks to CFC's, they were banned and its slowly repairing itself(although there was a recent plume came out of China somewhere). CO2 is a greenhouse gas, probably a good idea to limit that if possible.

I work in power generation and you are right, coal will be very lucky to make it to 2025, there is the odd station which may survive but economics will mean they will barely run.

I'm with you on the revenue thing, I reckon it'll be road tolls.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 23:40   #38
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by owyn View Post
The ozone layer became depleted thanks to CFC's, they were banned and its slowly repairing itself(although there was a recent plume came out of China somewhere). CO2 is a greenhouse gas, probably a good idea to limit that if possible.
My first job was in power generation after the CEGB was broken up. Agree it was CFCs, however the message to Joe Public was it was cars and exhaust emissions that were poisoning the planet.

Getting everyone to jump ship from petrol to diesel (15+ years ago) or diesel to hybrid/electric (now) doesn't do the VAT coffers any harm - says the cynic inside me.

I think I'm just jaundiced now after 33 years of motoring. Whenever a 'scientific fact' is trotted out my first reaction is who paid for the information and why. I'm not in denial I think there is a balance to be found though when a politician gets involved you just know someones pocket is being lined somewhere.

Last edited by GMcL; Jul 24th, 2019 at 23:44.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 07:01   #39
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Always bet on petrol. The fuel of champions.😉

Diseasels are for misers, my big petrol turbo designed 40 years ago will stomp a D5.👊
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 06:52   #40
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Always bet on petrol. The fuel of champions.😉

Diseasels are for misers, my big petrol turbo designed 40 years ago will stomp a D5.👊
Yes, you are correct, however post zombie apocalypse my tankfull of oil burner juice will keep me ahead of the hoards far longer than your super cars tank of petrol..

Given the inevitable congestion caused by the fleeing masses a diesel 4x4 would be my recomendation.

Please enjoy your super car, I am prepared for the zombie apocalypse and quite contented with my oil burners.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: