Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Short trips with a Diesel car

Views : 5072

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2019, 21:39   #41
TM01

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Yes, you are correct, however post zombie apocalypse my tankfull of oil burner juice will keep me ahead of the hoards far longer than your super cars tank of petrol..

Given the inevitable congestion caused by the fleeing masses a diesel 4x4 would be my recomendation.

Please enjoy your super car, I am prepared for the zombie apocalypse and quite contented with my oil burners.

Paul.
An older Diesel Landcruiser would be my zombie apocalypse car of choice!, they're near on indestructable.
TM01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 23:18   #42
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Always bet on petrol. The fuel of champions.😉

Diseasels are for misers, my big petrol turbo designed 40 years ago will stomp a D5.👊
We Petrol-ers should unite!

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 06:38   #43
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM01 View Post
An older Diesel Landcruiser would be my zombie apocalypse car of choice!, they're near on indestructable.
Very fine, if you can find one. Best start looking imediatly cause those that have them rarely sell them.

The post zombie apocalypse needs planning for

Paul.

Last edited by green van man; Jul 29th, 2019 at 06:51.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 08:18   #44
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Very fine, if you can find one. Best start looking imediatly cause those that have them rarely sell them.

Paul.
Brexit.

Sorry Paul, I thought I was on the word association thread.

Keith.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 10:28   #45
TM01

Quote:

Paul.
I used to have the baby Landcruiser the 3.0 D4D and that was great, really want to find an early 90s full sized one with the 4.2 TD engine at some point but, like you say they rarely come up for sale, and when they do are very expensive!.

I’d avoid anything Land Rover in the zombie apocalypse too, it would break down and you’d get eaten.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 16:31   #46
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM01 View Post
I used to have the baby Landcruiser the 3.0 D4D and that was great, really want to find an early 90s full sized one with the 4.2 TD engine at some point but, like you say they rarely come up for sale, and when they do are very expensive!.

I’d avoid anything Land Rover in the zombie apocalypse too, it would break down and you’d get eaten.
Oooh! Wash your mouth out with soap there is nothing wrong with the green oval products, provided you buy nothing after the td5 and for preference the 300tdi. Mine even has a piece of string between throttle pedal and pump, no fly by wire to be disabled by the zombie EMC pulse.

For me, remove stop solinoid, remove plunger, refit stop solenoid roll down hill, bump start and I'm fleeing the dread hordes. EMC pluses, what EMC pulse.

I will give you that later green oval products do not inspire confidence reliability wise and I certainly would not want to trust my life to them, however my 26 year old disco 1, have every confidence it will see me through, and at far less cost than a landcruser, good as they are.

Paul.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 16:34   #47
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Brexit.

Sorry Paul, I thought I was on the word association thread.

Keith.
Keith, you are not the messiah, you are just a very naughty boy.

Paul.
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 19:46   #48
ksmi
Master Member

Cool On the naughty step,as usual.

Quote:
Keith, you are not the messiah, you are just a very naughty boy.

Paul.
I am doing my best!
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 19:51   #49
TM01

Quote:
Oooh! Wash your mouth out with soap there is nothing wrong with the green oval products, provided you buy nothing after the td5 and for preference the 300tdi. Mine even has a piece of string between throttle pedal and pump, no fly by wire to be disabled by the zombie EMC pulse.

For me, remove stop solinoid, remove plunger, refit stop solenoid roll down hill, bump start and I'm fleeing the dread hordes. EMC pluses, what EMC pulse.

I will give you that later green oval products do not inspire confidence reliability wise and I certainly would not want to trust my life to them, however my 26 year old disco 1, have every confidence it will see me through, and at far less cost than a landcruser, good as they are.

Paul.
D1s are alright, so is the RR Classic, used to enjoy green laning in a ‘88 3.5 EFI Vogue that cost £700 at the time(dread to think what it would be worth now), like you say though anything later is a nightmare with them!, unfortunately made the mistake of getting a 2005 RR Sport a few years back, everything that could fail on it did, including the gearbox and air suspension .
It’s a shame the modern ones are built so badly as I’d love a D4, agree on the old Discos being pretty good though, need to be handy with a welder now and then though!.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 19:54   #50
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Ref.Land Cruisers, Was the model that looked more akin to The Land Rover,as opposed to a Range Rover ever sold in the UK ?

Keith.