Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo UK website - rubbish or what?

Views : 724

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:42   #1
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default Volvo UK website - rubbish or what?

Am I the only one who thinks that the Volvo website is appalling?

The car configurator doesn't load, the links along the top don't work, the whole thing takes forever to operate and of course, they've got rid of the comprehensive used car section to restrict it to current models.

If I didn't like the cars, the site would certainly put me off.

PS, I'm using a Mac with IE, Netscape and Safari browsers, all of which have the same problems.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 09:33   #2
Mav_UK

Default RE: Volvo UK website - rubbish or what?

Is a bit sucky. As an ASP developer I have to say poor testing and design.

I wonder if it's designed to work with Netscape / Safari etc. They don't stick to W3C standards for DHTML (for once MS is right) and so the client script can be a pain in the neck to get things working for both.

Stu
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:36   #3
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Yes, I've fought my way through the configurator on IE, with many refreshes when the next page wouldn't load.

This of course means that anyone who doesn't use IE won't be looking too hard at a new Volvo - guess that doesn't worry the lads in Marlow, but it should.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:36   #4
Mav_UK

The issue is howmany sales lost, compared to how much effort to sort I think. Macs make up is it 3% of home computers, and Netscape doesn't have a high hold on the market. Of all the stuff I have had to do only one has actually wanted something that will work in IE and Netscape. I just wish designers woulfd pay attention to the standards rather than making up their own (MS *and* others). It would certainly make my life soo much easier.

Stu
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 21:04   #5
Mike Clift

The Volvo site works perfectly in Int Explorer which I imagine is all it was designed for.

As a web design company we never ever design for Netscape. Stats for this week so far show just 38 visits from Netscape out of just over 500000 unique visits on hosted sites including many professional photographers.

Put simply, Netscape on the PC is a waste of time and anyone using it is just doing so to try and make a point. Why bother.

Having said that with almost everything programmed in php the output should work anyway cross browser without too much aggro.

As for Mac users they have two chances - sites will display or they wont.

I'm happy with that, so are the clients and that's what matters.

Thats my opinion.

Mike
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 16:39   #6
Bob
Club Director

I passed this on to Volvo Car UK and this is the reply:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The site has been designed with the following OS/browser combinations in mind:

1) IE 5+ on PC with modern Windows OS (Win2000 and WinXP)
2a) IE 4+ and Netscape 6+ on PC (all Win OSes)
2b) IE 5+ on Mac
2c) AOL browser on PC
3) any other combination

The priorities have been based on the usage of the site in the last 2 years, and user focus groups.

Our web provider will do more extensive testing (Safari on Mac, the Opera browser, different Unix OSes etc.). I have heard reports about problems with Mac, though we haven't yet received any detailed information that we could examine ourselves. The sites did pass Volvo Car Corporation Mac tests, and they are looking into these.

Your feedback has been passed to our web developers. I do hope you like the new look and feel, and I will do my best to resolve the technical issues as soon as possible with our developers.

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote