Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0D smoking after turbo change

Views : 776

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 15:04   #1
Vanndan

Default V50 2.0D smoking after turbo change

I’m hoping any one could lighten my day. I replaced the turbo today but now the car is smoking like a steam train. Along with the turbo change it’s had oil change and a new oil filter. There is a small filter on the oil intake to the turbo inside a hose which was destroyed but it was all put back together with out it. As this along with the normal oil filter was the cause of my turbo ceasing up. I didn’t want it to get blocked again so I left it off. I flushed the engine for any left over groggy oil before putting new oil in. But I’m stumped to why it’s smoking so badly. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Vanndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 19:41   #2
Bloders2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanndan View Post
I’m hoping any one could lighten my day. I replaced the turbo today but now the car is smoking like a steam train. Along with the turbo change it’s had oil change and a new oil filter. There is a small filter on the oil intake to the turbo inside a hose which was destroyed but it was all put back together with out it. As this along with the normal oil filter was the cause of my turbo ceasing up. I didn’t want it to get blocked again so I left it off. I flushed the engine for any left over groggy oil before putting new oil in. But I’m stumped to why it’s smoking so badly. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
what colour smoke?
Is it oil or is it fuel (blue or blackish)
was it a new turbo or a used one?
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 20:40   #3
harveys
Master Member

You sure the inlne filter wasn't a flow control to the turbo , controlled the flow rate to the turbo and so the volume of oil going down the turbo drain pipe.
I don't know how the set up is on your engine type so just a guess .
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 13:07   #4
Welton
Premier Member

I'm thinking the smoke could be from oil sitting in the intercooler, might be worth checking this and if so flushing it out into a container using petrol or something. Also oil might be sitting in the exhaust system and smoking when hot enough.

The little mesh filter at the Turbo was Peugeot's idea of protecting the turbo from particles in the oil stream, trouble is with extended oil service intervals or owners not servicing to schedule this filter can block up and restrict oil flow.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:54   #5
Vanndan

It smells like Diesel, it’s pure white smoke. It was a used but decent turbo. I wasn’t willing to pay for a new one as I’ve chucked enough money at it already. I’ve flushed out the inter cooler and pipes and got about a mug full of oil out. That small filter in the oil line I’m sure was a filter, but I’m not sure 100% although I googled it and what I found as a filter was exactly that. I’ve taken it to a mechanic and he’s struggling to figure out the problem unfortunately
Edit: this excess of smoke happened before the old turbo blew, so I’m not sure if the old turbo knocked anything out of place or what not. With the new turbo on in runs nicely and boosts hard as well but the smoke makes it undrivabel

Last edited by Vanndan; Jan 22nd, 2019 at 13:00.
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 13:44   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanndan View Post
It smells like Diesel, it’s pure white smoke. It was a used but decent turbo. I wasn’t willing to pay for a new one as I’ve chucked enough money at it already. I’ve flushed out the inter cooler and pipes and got about a mug full of oil out. That small filter in the oil line I’m sure was a filter, but I’m not sure 100% although I googled it and what I found as a filter was exactly that. I’ve taken it to a mechanic and he’s struggling to figure out the problem unfortunately
Edit: this excess of smoke happened before the old turbo blew, so I’m not sure if the old turbo knocked anything out of place or what not. With the new turbo on in runs nicely and boosts hard as well but the smoke makes it undrivabel
Possibly you have a pint of oil slopping about in your intercooler... try removing the bottom hose and see if you can drain it?

How much did you dismantle the car to replace the turbo - did you remove the exhaust manifold & EGR etc?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 18:46   #7
Vanndan

Had to dismantle the egr valve etc to get at the back of it all. It wasn’t much of a problem as I grinded the bolts off from the manifold as I had the replacements for it so saved me some time trying to get at the bolts. Problem is it’s got no MOT so I can’t exactly drive it about to clear the left over oil nor will it pass with all the smoke lol I think it is down to oil though as I don’t smell diesel any more. Thank you to all for replying