Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear bottle holder / tunnel console removal

Views : 2007

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2012, 20:20   #11
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
As the cover has to be changed, you can press the cig-lighter inwards and force it out of the plastic mounting. These are stuck in from behind... Not glued, but clipped.
That doesn't look possible from that pdf. document you linked to, Daim, where it shows the lighter being pulled out rather than pushed in. It is indeed clipped in but it looks slimmer on the inside than on the outside of the panel.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 14:42   #12
froggyted
Master Member

A belated update on this, although the problem was (finally) resolved about two months ago.

This task, which i expected to take less than half an hour, was an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE, and was finally resolved after many hours and a lot of expense, and for what it was worth (a new bottle holder) i wish i'd left well alone.

Firstly, the rear bottle holder panel at the back is stubborn to remove and you will have to employ careful use of trim removal tools to do so without damaging the console. If that's the only problem you have you will be very lucky indeed - read below!!

When i finally remove the panel i couldn't get the wiring off the power socket because there was insufficient slack in the lead to get my fingers behind. I spent about an hour trying do so with plyers etc. and finally got a hacksaw to the panel and had to cut it in three pieces before i could get my hands behind to remove the lead! This ultimately achieved very little, because when i came to fix the new panel, i couldn't mate up the wiring and the power socket, again due to the lack of slack in the lead. After much cursing and headscratching i decided that there was no other option but to remove the entire tunnel console. I followed the official pdf manual mentioned in an early post very carefully, and yes, succeeded in removing the console - but at a cost: there is so little clearance between the console and the handbrake lever (at least in the 08 facelift version) that i ended up damaging the leather on the handbrake. I may have decided to live with this if i hadn't, during reassembly, dropped a screw into the recess beneath the console and had to remove the console all over again: perhaps i was rather tired and well hacked-off by this juncture, because despite being wary of the danger, i ended up causing even more gouging to the handbrake leather. The problem is that the the tunnel console is so large and unwieldy that you have to be watching several places to make sure you don't damage not only the handbrake lever, but the seats, the dash, and the headlining too, and as i've said there's very little clearance between the lever and the console. In the end i decided i couldn't live with the handbrake leather and that it had to be replaced. Well, guess what, even that wasn't simple: you can't get a replacement handle, you have to replace the entire handbrake assembly! The leather is bonded to the assembly, and in any case it isn't even available as a separate part. I had the main dealer do this job, it's not one i would have trusted myself to do, and this didn't leave me a lot of change out of £200.

To anybody planning to remove the tunnel console i would suggest wrapping both the handbrake leather and the seats, or at the least the seat adjustment knobs, and taking great care when undertaking the job. It's difficult enough removing the console without damaging the handbrake but the greatest danger is when you attempt to replace the console where, if you don't present the console to the handbrake in the correct way, you're in trouble.

What's particularly annoying about all of this is that, having removed the console, there was actually sufficient slack in the power socket lead, it was just the way it had been clipped in place during manufacture. I readjusted the lead so that if i ever need to remove the bottle holder panel again i won't have to repeat the above scenario. What should have cost me about £25 and half an hour of my life ended up costing me about £200 and many hours of time. You have been warned!
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 00:07   #13
Nikesh
I've got a new White S40

When I took my bottle holder off, to take power off the cig lighter to power my speed camera detector (easiest place to get ignition switched 12v from).
When I put the bottle holder back on, to give it more slack, I made up a short length of 2 core cable with 2 male and 2 female electrical spade terminals on each end (the male to go in the cable end, and female to connect to the cig lighter socket)
This will help no end with giving you a bit more to play with.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nikesh For This Useful Post:

Tags
bottle holder, tunnel console decor, tunnel console removal, tunnel console trim