Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought a 2008 D5 Se Lux V50!

Views : 2715

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2012, 15:12   #1
Electronix12

Default Bought a 2008 D5 Se Lux V50!

Finally got myself a V50. Paid £6k plus ~£500 fees.

Bought it at auction, ex-lease car that has had £8.6k spent on it over the last 4 years!

The cambelt was changed this year at 108k and a load of other stuff.

I *think* it has had its 4 year service in Feb this year, which is nice.

I was followed home and no smoke was said to be coming out of it. Clutch doesn't kick and there are no noises coming from anything! (Compared to the same year, engine and spec V70!)

Everything works as far as I can tell, bodywork is in very good nick (needs washing and a few bits of small touchup). Includes the winter pack (heated seats!).

I'm not so bothered that it has done 109k, I have £2k left in the bank to do any work to it.

Questions
How do I remove the handsfree kit:

Why does the V70 D5 have a redline at 5000 where-as it is 4500 in my V50 D5?

And how much would it cost to get the whole front end done with new power flex bushes?

Overall very happy with it

Last edited by Electronix12; May 3rd, 2012 at 15:21.
Electronix12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 21:48   #2
craigblues
VOC Member

You will need to remove the centre console and then reroute all the cables out. :-)
craigblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 22:29   #3
MikeV50SELUX

Hi.

Congratulations and welcome to the SE lux club! To remove the handsfree yes you need to remove the centre console to get to the back of the radio headunit. Follow the photos and guide in the thread called "USB, Bluetooth and MP3 on a 2007 C70! And it works!" this will give you an idea but the V50 centre console is slightly different in terms of the screws rearward of the gearlever - they are hidden until you slide the whole unit backwards which means also loosening off the whole transmission tunnel console as well - there are guides on here for that - quite daunting but I did mine quite easy.

Removing the mic coming out of the roof lights is easy, just pull down the light unit, it will need some force but pops off quite easily. trace the mic wire back - mine when left across top of the windscreen and down the passenger A pilar, had to pull away the door seal - it then went under the glove and to the passenger footwell where the handsfree unit was buried deep under the carpet - wiring from there then went to the back of the head unit.
MikeV50SELUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:15   #4
Roger Breaker

This is what I used to remove my centre console, will be the same for yours

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/In...er_console.pdf
Roger Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:57   #5
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Cost me about £300-400 in labour to get the whole thing Polybushed.

Lot of work, you can use the Focus ST kit to get everything done.

Difference is night and day (and I REALLY mean that not just forum blaze) although the ride will be a bit harsh if you're on 18's - 17's should be OK.

I've got pretty much everything on mine aside from a full coilover kit (which would be too hard for Scottish roads anyway) so PM me anytime if you're thinking of suspension mods.

If your dampers have done 109k they will be shot too - Bilstein is the way to go.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:38   #6
Electronix12

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
Cost me about £300-400 in labour to get the whole thing Polybushed.

Lot of work, you can use the Focus ST kit to get everything done.

Difference is night and day (and I REALLY mean that not just forum blaze) although the ride will be a bit harsh if you're on 18's - 17's should be OK.

I've got pretty much everything on mine aside from a full coilover kit (which would be too hard for Scottish roads anyway) so PM me anytime if you're thinking of suspension mods.

If your dampers have done 109k they will be shot too - Bilstein is the way to go.

Well I want to keep it as close to original spec as possible really.

How can I tell if the dampers/bushes are shot? Too much oscillation?

Where should I get the parts from?

The car has had the following done:

18000 Miles Service - March 2009
36000 Miles Service - Nov 2009
40000 - Exhaust Recirc Valve - Feb 2010
54000 - Something done to the engine - June 2010 (Could I find out wtf this is!?) (Only says 'engine' on my sheet)
54000 Miles Service - June 2010
72030 - Power Steering Rack?!?
72000 Miles Service
82000 - A/C Work (New condenser and recharge) - May 2011
90000 Miles Service
108000 Miles Service
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:55   #7
Hezi
VOC Member

Smile

Congrats , nice car i ran one for a couple of years, lots of fun and does go pretty well. I swapped for an older real T5.
Lots of scope to play about, but not really needed, as they are more than capable out of the box, and its limits are beyond the capability of the majority of drivers.
I would probably have another.
I have the same hand free kit and has said they are not difficult to take out a bit fiddly , but do come in usefull and they work well .
Enjoy and have fun
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:24   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde Rules View Post
Finally got myself a V50. Paid £6k plus ~£500 fees.

Bought it at auction, ex-lease car that has had £8.6k spent on it over the last 4 years!

The cambelt was changed this year at 108k and a load of other stuff.

I *think* it has had its 4 year service in Feb this year, which is nice.

I was followed home and no smoke was said to be coming out of it. Clutch doesn't kick and there are no noises coming from anything! (Compared to the same year, engine and spec V70!)

Everything works as far as I can tell, bodywork is in very good nick (needs washing and a few bits of small touchup). Includes the winter pack (heated seats!).

I'm not so bothered that it has done 109k, I have £2k left in the bank to do any work to it.

Questions
How do I remove the handsfree kit:

Why does the V70 D5 have a redline at 5000 where-as it is 4500 in my V50 D5?
And how much would it cost to get the whole front end done with new power flex bushes?

Overall very happy with it
Because the V50 D5 is a different specification , less horsepower .
I LOVE the wood trim ...
Old May 5th, 2012, 13:03   #9
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde Rules View Post
Well I want to keep it as close to original spec as possible really.

How can I tell if the dampers/bushes are shot? Too much oscillation?

Where should I get the parts from?

The car has had the following done:

18000 Miles Service - March 2009
36000 Miles Service - Nov 2009
40000 - Exhaust Recirc Valve - Feb 2010
54000 - Something done to the engine - June 2010 (Could I find out wtf this is!?) (Only says 'engine' on my sheet)
54000 Miles Service - June 2010
72030 - Power Steering Rack?!?
72000 Miles Service
82000 - A/C Work (New condenser and recharge) - May 2011
90000 Miles Service
108000 Miles Service
Shot bushes = crashiness over speed bumps, numbness and woolyness when you load up the steering on a corner.

shot dampers = delayed lurch when going into a corner and lack of adjustability, skipping to the side when hitting bumps on corners at motorway speeds.

If you want to keep to original spec, replace the bushes with original items save the front lower wishbone (front and back) and the front ARB bushes (use powerflex)

Put in Bilstein B6 dampers (B8's are just shortened B6's designed to work with dropped suspension) - they are far far better than original spec and exact drop in replacements.

Car will ride and handle beautifully then.

Drop to 17" if you have 18" wheels... better dynamics and ride by far.

Parts - FRF and powerflex for bushes - I will bet you a tenner the bushes and dampers will be pretty tired on your car if it's done 109k so consider it a service item - changed mine at 54k and they were gubbed.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Last edited by t5_monkey; May 5th, 2012 at 13:07.
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 22:16   #10
Electronix12

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
Shot bushes = crashiness over speed bumps, numbness and woolyness when you load up the steering on a corner.

shot dampers = delayed lurch when going into a corner and lack of adjustability, skipping to the side when hitting bumps on corners at motorway speeds.

If you want to keep to original spec, replace the bushes with original items save the front lower wishbone (front and back) and the front ARB bushes (use powerflex)

Put in Bilstein B6 dampers (B8's are just shortened B6's designed to work with dropped suspension) - they are far far better than original spec and exact drop in replacements.

Car will ride and handle beautifully then.

Drop to 17" if you have 18" wheels... better dynamics and ride by far.

Parts - FRF and powerflex for bushes - I will bet you a tenner the bushes and dampers will be pretty tired on your car if it's done 109k so consider it a service item - changed mine at 54k and they were gubbed.

I don't mind bushes as non-original. Just parts. Saves hassle with the insurance then and I have the standard SE Lux 17" wheels.
Just drove it back, quite abit of slackness in the steering. Bushes I assume? D5 pulls ridiculously well.

Edit: So I need:
1. Front Wishbone Lower Front Bush (12 or 14mm!?)
2. Front Lower Wishbone Rear Bush
3. Front Anti Roll Bar Mounting Bush

Dampers are £140 each from partsforvolvosonline.com

I'm looking at:

£280 for dampers
£140 for bushes
£400 for labour
£820 total.

Last edited by Electronix12; May 5th, 2012 at 22:30.