Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1997 940 estate, 135k miles, manual

Views : 1936

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2013, 23:07   #1
mylittletony
Master Member

Default 1997 940 estate, 135k miles, manual

Evening all,

The time has come up to put my trusty Volvo up for sale, I've taken a new job that will mean I have to drive 30 miles to work and I will need a frugal diesel...

I bought this in October 2011 for occasional load lugging, long trips and because I fancied a RWD turbo. When I bought it I did a full service and changed the cambelt, at 124k miles. It was bought from a window cleaner in Dorset who bought it from customer who was a vicar apparently, although I have no evidence to substantiate this.

important info:
MOT until 16th July 2013
Tax until Sept 2013
135k miles, will rise slightly as in occasional use still.
2.3 turbo, manual. Engine code B230FK, M90 gearbox, the desirable redblock combo with oil squirters.

I have had 2 problems in my ownership:
1. a running under load issue, eventually diagnosed as a cheap, faulty MAF which was replaced with a new, genuine Bosch item with a value of £250. The cat was also blocked and replaced with a new one. As part of the diagnostic work all the ignition components were replaced, dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads and plugs. Please see my old threads for more info.
2. Broken alternator belt, which resulted in a tow home after the lights became too dim to continue. New ancillary belts fitted.

Existing faults:
Front brake judder, this will be warped discs as it started immediately after the aforementioned tow. These are available for £17 ea on ebay, or more if you want to spend it.
Clutch judder when pulling away, which only occurs in first gear. There is no slipping in the other gears. This hasn't got worse in 18mths and as such I haven't investigated any further.
Ham fisted PO has closed bonnet heavily and dented the forward edge slightly
Some general scratches
Cracked windscreen, but passed the MOT like this and hasn't got any worse since purchased
Rear near side door doesn't unlock correctly on central locking, must be opened from the inside the first time. Once unlocked there is no problem.
Warning light for a blown bulb, this is the RHS brake light, but the bulb is not at fault, there is a loose connection which I have not repaired.

Since owning it, I've sorted out some interior niggles, such as a loose tailgate trim panel using genuine clips and replaced the tailgate struts with new as I banged my head one too many times!

Modifications:
Manual boost controller and boost gauge fitted. Pressure has been raised from 4psi (135hp) standard to 12psi for an estimated 190hp, based on the HPT models getting 165hp from 8psi. Total transformation of the car, but can be easily removed. I very rarely use the additional power as I don't like wasting money on fuel by driving like a tool.

I have lowered the car by removing 2 coils front and rear, again a total transformation! No longer boaty and wallowy, but flat and firm. Still comfortable though and doesn't catch unless on the harshest of speed bumps when the exhaust kisses occasionally. This change could be very easily reversed by fitting a new set of springs.

Other:
Half leather interior and generally a nice place to be. There are a few age related scuffs.
I've fitted new rear discs and pads
I fitted a tow bar, but never used it. This can be seen by the fact I never wired it up!!
I've got the genuine dog guard and front and rear undertrays in the garage

Anyway, enough typing, see below for some pictures:

The worst scratch, this hasn't damaged the steel, but would need a touch up

Dents on bonnet:

Interior:

Any questions, drop me a PM and I'll respond with my phone number. Happy to provide any more pics or info as required.

I'm looking for £850, which I feel is fair considering it's relatively low mileage, good spec, good condition and had the cambelt done. A small amount of cosmetic work on the paint and some new front discs would see this become a very smart example. I am open to sensible offers and welcome all viewings.

The car is in Weybridge.

Many thanks,

Tony
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 00:39   #2
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Smile

Isn't that a 1998 car? I ask because my 1997 940 (sister car to yours, right down to the scratches around the door handles and dent in the bonnet!) was registered in December on a P plate. Not that it matters, just curious.

Good luck with the sale!
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:16   #3
matbat

When you say you've removed the coils have they been replaced with springs with less coils or have you cut the old springs?

Cheers,
M
matbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:09   #4
mylittletony
Master Member

cheers Baggy, to be honest I don't know, but I'll have a look at the V5 later and reply.

M - I've cut the original springs. I know this is a contentious modification, but I researched the potential issues thoroughly and read about the number of people who have successfully done the same. I'm also a chartered mechanical engineer and work for a company designing military vehicles, so wouldn't take the decision lightly!
I'm happy to go into the detail of spring rate equations and the pitfalls of cutting springs, but the proof really is in the pudding. Also, if someone is truly unhappy it's easily reversible with some new springs.

incidentally, I'll be in Yapton this evening if you wanted to come and have a look??

Some other points:
There were no advisories at the last MOT
I have receipts for the work since I've owned it
If someone wanted me to sort out any of the issues I would do it for the price of the parts (after receiving a deposit)

Hope that helps!
Old May 1st, 2013, 18:39   #5
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default I don't need another...

Personally, for a couple of quid a day - you'll be using a gallon of diesel daily in stead of a couple of gallons of petrol (if you turn the boost down) I'd keep the Volvo. But if you are determined:

Things for your buyers to consider:

Much of those paintwork probs (I agree not serious) will NOT polish out.

The ghetto drop will work fine - so long as you have not got Nivos. If you have Nivos (and I thought they were standard on estates) they will be trying to jack the rear off the shortened springs thus:
(a) increasing the risk of spring dislocation
(b) makeing an odd transition in spring rate as the springs load up
(c) doing god knows what to the height of the roll centre
(d) increasing wear and tear on the Nivos which at 135k miles are near end of life.
Solution - sport nivos at £270 each or de-nivo which will mean new rear springs since the nivo springs are floppier because the nivo does a lot of the work.

Rear bumper at least needs re-aligning to get the overtrim to sit right.

Important question. Have you declared the mbc because if you have insurers share data so your buyer will have to declare it too and that may well hike the insurance LOTS. And have you got an AFR to keep an eye on what it is occurring to air-fuel rations which affect combustion temperatures?
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 19:11   #6
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Rogerthechorister, you said

"Important question. Have you declared the mbc because if you have insurers share data so your buyer will have to declare it too and that may well hike the insurance LOTS"

That's an interesting point, never considered it before.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:30   #7
mylittletony
Master Member

Thanks for your response Roger, to answer some of your points:

I'll be doing a minimum of 300 miles a week, 90% on motorways and not 'on boost', which is 3/4 to a tank of vpower at £100. It would be half a tank of diesel at the same price, which equates to £50 a week saving.

I agree they won't polish out, but they could be touched up. None of the scratches go through to bare metal.

It doesn't have Nivos, can't say whether they were removed by a previous owner or never fitted, but the car was certainly not saggy (i.e. on soft nivo springs) before I lowered it. I researched all of the above before even considering it.

I have to say I'd not noticed the bumper trim, I am flexible on price if someone wanted to negotiate.

Regarding the insurance, everything is declared, down to the pipercross panel filter in the airbox. I'm in my 30s and have kept a clean license for 13yrs, as such I won't risk the ramifications of insufficient insurance! If the buyer decides to remove the MBC then it can be insured as not having one, same with the springs.

I haven't fitted an AFR gauge, but I've never experienced any detonation or running issues (since replacing the dodgy AFM)

I hope that helps - I'm not a chav who's turned up the boost willy-nilly and lopped 2 coils off then ragged it everywhere, I've carried out recommended upgrades and well researched suspension work, then used the car sensibly (mostly trying to conserve fuel!)

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
Personally, for a couple of quid a day - you'll be using a gallon of diesel daily in stead of a couple of gallons of petrol (if you turn the boost down) I'd keep the Volvo. But if you are determined:

Things for your buyers to consider:

Much of those paintwork probs (I agree not serious) will NOT polish out.

The ghetto drop will work fine - so long as you have not got Nivos. If you have Nivos (and I thought they were standard on estates) they will be trying to jack the rear off the shortened springs thus:
(a) increasing the risk of spring dislocation
(b) makeing an odd transition in spring rate as the springs load up
(c) doing god knows what to the height of the roll centre
(d) increasing wear and tear on the Nivos which at 135k miles are near end of life.
Solution - sport nivos at £270 each or de-nivo which will mean new rear springs since the nivo springs are floppier because the nivo does a lot of the work.

Rear bumper at least needs re-aligning to get the overtrim to sit right.

Important question. Have you declared the mbc because if you have insurers share data so your buyer will have to declare it too and that may well hike the insurance LOTS. And have you got an AFR to keep an eye on what it is occurring to air-fuel rations which affect combustion temperatures?
The Following User Says Thank You to mylittletony For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2013, 15:28   #8
mylittletony
Master Member

Unhappy

I've listed this on ebay

link

it had a buy-it-now of 800, but if anyone from here is interested I will consider any offers between the current bid of 500 and 800. However, I will require cash in my hand to end the auction.

Please remember this has a 1yr old Bosch MAF, half leather interior, relatively low mileage, dog guard, load area cover, 16" alloys (in great condition) and is a late model, so would break for the current bid price, but this would be a real shame
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:36   #9
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Your car but...

Probably wise to disclose to insurers in your circs.

If you turned the boost down (fine for motorway cruising) you'd probably be doing 30 mpg on the motorway, and you would not need V-power so your petrol bill would only be £57 per week total. And your fuel saving would be partly offset by appreciation of the vehicle. You are still only doing a smidgeon over 15,000 miles per year and up to that mileage the higher servicing costs of a diesel are usually recond to nullify any fuel saving, so if I were you I'd keep her!

It sounds as if you originally had a non-nivo car or she has been properly de-nivo'd at some stage - which some people regard as a plus point because of the price of replacement nivos. Personally I worship nivos.

I DO hope she goes to a good home - but I definitely do NOT need another!
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote