Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reasons to buy new car

Views : 1336

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 15:37   #1
Triple-S
How Old?

Default Reasons to buy new car

Whilst in the precinct at my local shopping area I was pounced upon by a chatty saleswoman. She asked if I was a motorist (yes) and would like a new car (yes please if free!).
Anyway she rattled down her list of questions: family, approx mileage etc so after listening to her replied with my retorts re benefits of driving a good second-hand car:
1) low annual mileage means probable longer life
2) not wanting to play "keeping up with the Jones's"
3) sometimes cheaper tax for older cars
4) ditto insurance and depreciation
5) as car overnights in the road, not too bothered if a victim of 'hit and run'
6) easier to self-maintain
7) no computers and plastic parts to expensively perhaps replace

I then said I loved my Volvo 240 to which she replied - "whats that?" She really ought to learn her subject........ However, I thought - bearing the above in mind why on earth would I consider a new car? A shrewd guy could save on tax by swapping under 3-year old cars regularly, but that could be risky if unlucky, so I'll stay where I am, but can anybody advise me of other important reasons to either change or stay with what I know?

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 16:57   #2
volvo always
Premier Member

Against.

Fuel costs. A 240 isn't terrible but no where near a diesel MPG wise.
Rust. LPG it!

For.
Better the devil you know.
When buying used you could be buying into other unknown problems, unless you can buy new, even then could have issues.
Older cars have more character.
240 Gets classic insurance like my GLT with business use for £225.00 a year.
No depreciation! Probably risen from the £350 purchase cost 9 years ago.
Parts available to keep them on the road.
No big monthly HP bills unless of course you can pay in full.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Jan 8th, 2018 at 16:59.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 17:08   #3
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Reasons to buy
1 - you're a kind and generous chap, dont want to be able to afford a holiday this year, and are delighted for the sales sharks to have one for you.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 17:11   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

To me the biggest reason against a New car is depreciation, the minute your signature goes on the registration document it becomes second hand and loses a chunk of value, that may not matter so much if you intend to keep it forever, but even than why not buy a nearly new one where someone else took that depreciation hit?
I'm still happy in my 19 year old V70 bought for £800 about 8 years ago, over that time it has had some money spent on it but, as I'm not precious about a dealer stamped service history on an old car, the extra expenses like the rear brake refurb can be offset against lower routine service costs.
There is a psychological element to be considered, my wife insists on a newer car, to her newer must equal better but that doesn't tally with her Nissan going for scrap at about 12 years old while the V70 cruises on.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 18:17   #5
green van man
Premier Member

The problem is that older cars are going to be legislated off the roads if the lobby groups get their way.

I listened to a report that refined if you took 100% of the cars in London off the road you would only improve air quality by 10%. Of course this is overlooked when diesel is killing kids.
On that point, I grew up in a pit town, not only did it have a pit it also had a washery and a coal fired power station, every attic had at least an inch of fine coal dust on the rafters, I'm not dead yet and pushing pension age.

My 200,000 mile 24 year old landrover is less polluting than a Toyota Prius if you take whole life polution into account, again it does not count as I am killing kids with my NOx emissions.

This year for the first time in I think 20 years co2 output has risen because folk have been scared off diesel cars, the fact that euro 6 diesels are as clean or cleaner than petrol again matters not.

Vehicular polution seems to be the smallest area of pollution, aviation and shipping along with wood burners are it seems far far worse.

However none of that matters as we MUST buy a new clean petrol car to save our kids. The fact that the co2 will kill the planet is immaterial.

Marketing and hype from vested interests.

Afraid it bothers me not, if I am banned from towns or cities I shall use the park and ride or go somewhere else.
Interestingly, during the recent snow, no one but no one cared how polluting my landrover was, only was I able to get nurse so and so to work in time for her shift and the nurse she was replacing home. Now I don't mind risking a couple of grands worth of discovery in the snow for such duties, I would think very hard before venturing out in a £60,000 xc or £63,000 range rover, no matter how clean. Of the 6 vehicles in our 4x4 response groups that carried out such work none is younger than10 years old and most 15+.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 18:29   #6
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

It’s funny how they love 4x4’s when you’re helping the community through the winter!! I love taking the Disco out in the snow, especially as the old D1 is such a joy to potter around in. It’s an N reg car, don’t see many normal cars that are 22 years old on a daily drive but it still looks a tidy car and is great for daily use, in fact, my Dad does now use it daily! It replaces our beloved Thumper the D3 which was our main family transport almost all his life, from 8 months to 12 and a half years old. A retired couple now own him to tow a caravan; he’ll have a much easier life there than he did with us! The D1 is so raw to drive yet the D3, 9 years it’s junior was nearly half a ton heavier, less fuel efficient, carried no more people yet had a considerably larger footprint on the road. Funny what we call progress!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 19:46   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I agree with all the arguments for not buying a new car. The only possible reason for doing so that I can see is the new car guarantee. Even that is of limited value if nothing goes wrong (which it shouldn't), but may give peace of mind to some in the event that something may.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 19:58   #8
Dippydog
Premier Member

The number of recalls for a wide variety of issues that manufacturers are doing are quite frightening and with the advent of small capacity turbo'd engines putting out quite high [claimed hp]there are a few too many engine replacements going on for me,so buy a new car?Not me thanks.I'll stick with my 17yr old barges for a while longer.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 20:57   #9
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Can't afford a new car, and I think people who take out a second mortgage to have a new car are off their rockers. Maybe if I won big on the lottery I would have one, until then, my 15 year old S60 does exactly what a new car does
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 00:41   #10
niggly

+++above.

I reckon most of the new 2016, 17, 18 cars you see, a lot of which are £30k-£60k+ must be on PCPs.