Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Am I being fussy? Some faults on new car.

Views : 2535

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2018, 08:28   #21
green van man
Premier Member

Mate of mine in the trade baught a fair few at auction. Only went to one place and sussed their modus operandi, whom the house bidders were etc. He would decide what the car was worth to him and would not pay a penny more no matter what, often bidding on the same car week after week as the house bidders would try to up the price when interest was shown in a car. They normally succeeded with casual punters, not my mate and the house ended up with the winning bid.
I accompanied him a couple of times, was an education indeed. On one occasion a group of 4 youngsters were bidding on a 4x4, were they fleeced or what. They got bidding feaver the house bidders saw them coming a mile off and there was no stopping them. By the time they paid the comition on top of the final bid they paid about 4 times what they could of got the car retail. All with no garentees.

Secret of buying at auction seems to be set your value and walk away as soon as it's exceeded, your value has to include a margin for the things you cannot test, yes you can run the engine but there are no test drives. Certainly not at the actions I attended.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 09:28   #22
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjimknickers View Post
Rear sensors worked when I got it, now they stay on
If the car has satnav the VOLVO TECH reversing camera is a good upgrade and somewhat mitigates the duff reversing sensors (mine are faulty intermittently too - must get round to attempting a repair)
GSTheo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 10:05   #23
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Only you can decide if you are happy with a repair or a replacement but as you’ve paid for some of the car on finance, it’s not your car, it belongs to the bank who lent you the money. They have big clout when getting these things sorted so I would phone them first
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 14:53   #24
Bigjimknickers

The crunch will come when I drop it off this week for the intercooler repair & I leave my version of a pdi checklist that I want him to go through & call me about discussing it. I’ll also notify the finance company of the known faults.
But I’ll have to let him know first as I don’t want him thinking I’m undermining him by going straight to the finance company & moaning!
Bigjimknickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 15:15   #25
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
The crunch will come when I drop it off this week for the intercooler repair & I leave my version of a pdi checklist that I want him to go through & call me about discussing it. I’ll also notify the finance company of the known faults.
But I’ll have to let him know first as I don’t want him thinking I’m undermining him by going straight to the finance company & moaning!
Give him and the finance company everything in writing at the same time. Let them both know you will hold them both responsible under section 75. The finance company will just tell him to sort it or they will and then recover any loss from him.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 17:13   #26
Bigjimknickers

I wrote this to the finance company this morning:

Hi, I have a few issues that I need to notify you of with the car, I’ve contacted the dealer to inform him that it needs some repairs so I’m letting you know too in writing. I’m currently returning the vehicle this week for the work.
1. Turbo intercooler blown/split, maybe hose.
2. Noise from power steering pump/rack when steering slowly right.
3. Reverse sensors stay on in wet/rain
4. Alarm service required, the siren unit is a Sealed unit & will need replacing as it doesn’t work.
5. CD player broken.
6. Spare key fob doesn’t work, I’ve replaced the battery.

I understand this is an older car, but the price paid is the top price so I expect it have the faults repaired unless the price was to reflect the faults listed.

I don’t currently have an email address for the dealer so I’ll be leaving him a copy of this email with the car.

Many thanks
James stewart

Sent from my iPhone

The dealer called me & was totally dismayed, I said I just wanted to discuss the faults and try to rectify them, & his answer was no, he won’t repair any of the faults & he will give me a full refund & collect the car.
Bigjimknickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 17:38   #27
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

good result
As its on finance you dont own it, they do.
Lets hope the chap does what he says, take pictures of the car being collected etc just in case there is a "delay in paperwork"
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 17:57   #28
4x4
Premier Member

Sounds like you're on the right track Jim. It took my dealer 16 days to sort out most of the faults on my car and still a couple pending re some research from myself... I had the opportunity to reject the car, but my view was once the faults were rectified there was a nice vehicle with good history waiting to be rescued. I'm glad I waited, it's a lovely car and I spent today giving the exterior a good clean.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (129.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (200.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (175.3 KB, 157 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 18:00   #29
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Thats illegal. I think its a variant of Shill Bidding. Naughty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Mate of mine in the trade baught a fair few at auction. Only went to one place and sussed their modus operandi, whom the house bidders were etc. He would decide what the car was worth to him and would not pay a penny more no matter what, often bidding on the same car week after week as the house bidders would try to up the price when interest was shown in a car. They normally succeeded with casual punters, not my mate and the house ended up with the winning bid.
I accompanied him a couple of times, was an education indeed. On one occasion a group of 4 youngsters were bidding on a 4x4, were they fleeced or what. They got bidding feaver the house bidders saw them coming a mile off and there was no stopping them. By the time they paid the comition on top of the final bid they paid about 4 times what they could of got the car retail. All with no garentees.

Secret of buying at auction seems to be set your value and walk away as soon as it's exceeded, your value has to include a margin for the things you cannot test, yes you can run the engine but there are no test drives. Certainly not at the actions I attended.

Paul.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 18:28   #30
kenny
Master Member

Quote:

The dealer called me & was totally dismayed, I said I just wanted to discuss the faults and try to rectify them, & his answer was no, he won’t repair any of the faults & he will give me a full refund & collect the car.
I think you have got a result there. I fear you would have got caught up in a long and stressfull saga getting the dealer to sort your car. That's an expensive list and would be a lot more than he was making on the car. Once you have the refund for the car send an invoice to both parties for your out of pocket expenses.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post: