Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The mystery of the power steering belt

Views : 1183

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 14:11   #11
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Spray on belt dressing is safer than soap on your fingers!
Good point.

I should have made clear that I meant a block of hand-soap just held lightly against the side of the belt as it rotates.

LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 18:19   #12
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The coolant leak is dribbling out so isn't going on the power steering belt luckily.

Weirdly on the way home tonight for the first time in ages it didn't make a noise! However I'm sure tomorrow it will be back.

I do believe the alignment is out slightly, this only started after I did the cambelt, I have made sure the waterpump pulley is on square so I think from what has been said and looking at the car I think it might be a combination of a worn out adjuster and a the pump not sitting flush with the waterpump.

I will be sorting the leak in the coming weeks as it needs topping up once a week and my boss may start to notice the coolant in the stores is going down

I will have a go at getting it to sit flush too and then if it still happens I will swap the adjuster over from the car I'm breaking.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 13:36   #13
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Leaking

I have a slightly wheeping top waterpump gasket and need to top up coolant regularly, though not weekly. Although it is not a serious loss of coolant, it certainly has an effect on the power steering belt. With a cold engine it will sometimes slip for a few minutes, making the power steering juddery when driving off and noisy when cornering. I guess the heat from the slipping dries out the belt as it disappears after half a mile or so.
The belt is probably soaked with coolant over time, as replacing the belt last time cured this problem for over a year.
Replacing the waterpump is still on my list, but I hesitate what to do: just replacing the top gasket or the complete waterpump. The leaking is severe though getting slightly worse, especially when driving in heavy traffic.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 20:42   #14
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
I have a slightly wheeping top waterpump gasket and need to top up coolant regularly, though not weekly. Although it is not a serious loss of coolant, it certainly has an effect on the power steering belt. With a cold engine it will sometimes slip for a few minutes, making the power steering juddery when driving off and noisy when cornering. I guess the heat from the slipping dries out the belt as it disappears after half a mile or so.
The belt is probably soaked with coolant over time, as replacing the belt last time cured this problem for over a year.
Replacing the waterpump is still on my list, but I hesitate what to do: just replacing the top gasket or the complete waterpump. The leaking is severe though getting slightly worse, especially when driving in heavy traffic.
Don't hold off dealing with it for too long ... as you well know!!

The top joint on my 745 was weeping very sightly for a year or so and only needed a slight top-up every twice a year .... BUT, when I needed the car for my daughter when she was over from NZ for her to drive to Harry Potter World it was early January. However, I struggled out in the cold to check tyres etc etc. Then, I popped the bonnet and !!!! the header tank was drained to virtually the bottom!! Needless to say that required alternative transport. These things creep up on you - Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 23:42   #15
arctan

Default Continued.

If you do the water pump I'd advise an oem gasket set. I bought an aftermarket pump in a hurry, and used the aftermarket supplied gaskets/seals. Two weeks later they leaked- upper seal. Refitted it with oem and now sorted. The oem seal/s were much more flexible! (I appreciate that the pump needs upward pressure when refitting).
Elsewhere on this forum I've seen pictures of steering pump brackets where the mounting holes have gone oval...

Last edited by arctan; Jan 9th, 2019 at 23:46. Reason: Additions
arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arctan For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 23:57   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctan View Post
If you do the water pump I'd advise an oem gasket set. I bought an aftermarket pump in a hurry, and used the aftermarket supplied gaskets/seals. Two weeks later they leaked- upper seal. Refitted it with oem and now sorted. The oem seal/s were much more flexible! (I appreciate that the pump needs upward pressure when refitting).
Elsewhere on this forum I've seen pictures of steering pump brackets where the mounting holes have gone oval...
I seem to recall seeing a suggestion at one point of using RTV sealant on the seal. Run a bead onto the pump where the seal sits, a bead on the seal where it meets the head and wait a few minutes for it to "flash off" the first of the solvents before actually assembling then fit with the upward pressure on the pump and leave it overnight before adding coolant.

Whether that will work or not i don't know but similar methods have worked on other "problem areas" on different engines to the red-block so no reason to assume it won't work. Never had cause to fix this particular leak on any of my red-blocks but it should work, even with a pattern "hard" seal.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 01:39   #17
TheLeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
......Water on a belt, even a tight one, will cause it to squeal. .........
That's a good point. It happened on my dad's old BMW and made the water pump belt slip so much the engine overheated going up a hill. I had to go into the hotel up the road and get some bottled water to sort it out. It's even worse when there's anti freeze in there, as that seems to be even more slippery.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 17:57   #18
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Right then, I did the waterpump gaskets today.

The O-rings were crumbling and covered in crystalised coolant.

I started it up and it squealed it's head off straight away, I thought ah well let's just see if it leaks then. I forgot to dry the water off the waterpump so I doused it in brake cleaner and and the squealing disappeared! I then washed the coolant from around the header tank and some went on the waterpump which made it squeal. I brake cleanered it down again and it went quiet.

I had a fiddle with the power steering belt tensioner and I have managed to get it sitting much nicer and tensioned correctly.

So the answer to the squeak is a waterpump pulley that doesn't like being wet at all!

I did forget to put the top timing belt cover on before the waterpump pulley so it has to come off again to fit it!

While I was there I fitted the new rotor arm and cap too.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 19:00   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad you got it sorted Luke!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: