Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 led Volvo sales with a 387% increase

Views : 1086

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 11:13   #1
jonnyu

Default XC60 led Volvo sales with a 387% increase

Volvo has sold more than 600.000 cars worldwide for the first time ever.
Sales were led by the new XC60 that had a 387% increase.
I bet that the 2019 sales records for the XC40 will help Volvo to achieve the 700.000 mark.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob.../sales-volumes
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 00:41   #2
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
Volvo has sold more than 600.000 cars worldwide for the first time ever.
Sales were led by the new XC60 that had a 387% increase.
I bet that the 2019 sales records for the XC40 will help Volvo to achieve the 700.000 mark.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob.../sales-volumes
There’s actually remarkably little difference in XC60 unit sales between the two years if you add up the totals for old and current models.
387% goes to prove that there are indeed lies, damned lies, and statistics at the very top.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 07:51   #3
RobQuads

Don't forget the 78,887.5 % increase in sales of XC40s too ... perfect example of some silly stats.

12% gain is not bad for the market vs VW who did around 2/3% more but then they suffered the most
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 08:46   #4
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
...387% goes to prove that there are indeed lies, damned lies, and statistics at the very top.
How come?
It's merely reporting the facts of the sales of both models. There's no attempt to hide anything, or that there was a changeover from one model to another. It's all there for all to be seen.

To read lies and damn lies in to that confuses me.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:31   #5
Wizzpop
Master Member

Some of the percentages are meaningless. The XC40 for instance
Year to Date Dec 18 75,828 Year to date Dec 17 96 78,887.5 % compared to the V60 11
Year to Date Dec 18 19,177 Year to date Dec 17 0 100.0 %

Both the XC40 and V60 11 are new models, so presenting the very high percentage increase for the XC40 is nonsense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:36   #6
RobQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
How come?
It's merely reporting the facts of the sales of both models. There's no attempt to hide anything, or that there was a changeover from one model to another. It's all there for all to be seen.
The way it was phased IMO made it sounds like the XC60 was a great success BUT the stats alone don't prove that as they are virtually meaningless. I bet 75% of cars that are released in September will have a 300/400/500/600% sale increase from release year to the following year. It doesn't really give any indication as to whether its any good. It could actually be down on the model it releases.

A stat like 21% increase in sales over the previous model might be a better suited but even that again can cover up as previous model sales often drop off the cliff because people know the new model is coming.

Any thats why stats can be used to show anything you like
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobQuads For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:43   #7
I Feel Old

Ah, I see. The gripe is with the thread title and not Volvo publishing stats that are intended to be misleading.

Gotcha.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:32   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
How come?

To read lies and damn lies in to that confuses me.
Then you are easily confused. Not my problem.
There has not been a very significant increase in XC60 sales. The figure quoted is a red herring. A meaningless figure not worth quoting but in itself misleading.

Last edited by Quacker; Jan 18th, 2019 at 11:40.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:59   #9
jonnyu

Not sure why this number is misleading and it's actually correct.
People are mixing the sales from all XC60s and the table is explicitly identifiying the XC60 II with a sales increase of 387%.
This number is easy to explain: in percentage, if you look at the sales of 2017, they were extremely low, comparing to sales of 2018 due to the following factors:
• the car was actually unveiled in March 2017 and if you take in consideration the order overhead, you have the first sales numbers in April/May.
• The car was launched in Europe in Q2 2017. In US and Chinese markets, where the sales actually boomed, the car was launched later on.
• 2018 was the first year where the sales were tracked worldwide for this model
So why the enormous surprise with the figure 387% since this is a percentage relative to the sales of 2017…
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyu For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 12:30   #10
I Feel Old

Exactly jonnyu, people are reading Volvo's accurate published figures, putting their own interpretation on it and making 2 + 2 = 123.

The thread title is rather misleading, Volvo's figures are honest and accurate and not intended to do anything other than convey that information. That some choose to make their own assumptions and then call foul is a little bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker
Not my problem.
Indeed Quacker, your problem seems to be in understanding the purpose of the figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker
There has not been a very significant increase in XC60 sales.
Volvo doesn't claim there has been, you falsely assert that Volvo makes that claim. The error and misunderstanding is all yours, not Volvo's!

Last edited by I Feel Old; Jan 18th, 2019 at 12:38.