Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bearing noise, alternator

Views : 1865

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:28   #1
gibbsies

Smile Bearing noise, alternator

Hello,

I have a 2001 S60 that has done 170,000km. It had a loud grinding/resonating noise originating somewhere from a component driven by the auxiliary belt.

The Volvo dealer said that the bearing in the auxiliary belt tensioner was noisy and that everything else was OK. I had the tensioner replaced by my local Volvo (non-dealer) mechanic however, the noise remained. Although I wanted the noise fixed, the bearing in the tensioner was worn, so I eliminated this as the source.

Using the old plastic pipe (garden hose) placed near the ear trick, I located the fault! I carefully placed the end of the pipe on/near the areas making the greatest noise and located the source. Others (mechanics) had used a mechanics stethoscope, but as the noise was being transmitted mechanically through the drive-chain, locating was difficult.

Finally I found the source of the noise. The noise was coming from the pulley on the front of the alternator. The pulley known as a free-wheel type pulley otherwise known as an overrunning clutch type. This type of pulley locks in on direction, and spins free in the other. This type of pulley eliminates noise and mechanical shock (loads) being transmitted back through the auxiliary belt.

Well, today the pulley was changed over, and I am back to loving my S60 again.

Hope this helps someone else experiencing the same noise.

PS. The manufacturer of the pulley states the service life to be 90,000Km. This should be a service item picked up during the 90Km service!

Cheers
Steve Gibbs
gibbsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 15:25   #2
podman999

Default similar problem

Hi Steve, I have a similar problemem with my s60 D5 2002. I replaced the idler wheel for the aux belt (£42 From Volvo) as there was some friction in the bearing but this did not help. I too then used the plastic pipe routine. The noise disappears when you place a little pressure against the centre of the alternator pulley, suggesting my bearing is worn?

Where did you get your replacement part? Is it volvo only? Hope not as the prices are beyond a joke. This problem is also driving me nuts!!!!!

Thanks,

Lee.
podman999 is offline   Reply With Quote