Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5, First test drive

Views : 1425

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 07:47   #1
Infinity

Default D5, First test drive

Well I finally managed to get a test drive over the weekend. Went and had a look at an 04 plate D5 with 108k on the clock.

Had a good look around the car, despite it's "awaiting valet" stickers on it, it looked very clean bodywork wise. There were a couple of minor scratches, which my 5yr old lad found

Inside it was pretty dirty, but nothing that couldn't sorted once they have valeted it! Although the lid on the centre console that covers the cup holders was broken - not a huge issue though.

Once I'd adjusted the seat (bloody comfy!) and the mirrors I started her up. No issues at all - ticked over nicely and made no extra noises and gave no nasty smoke. The wife nodded her approval and my son settled back into his booster seat and told me to get going.

Drove though town first to get the engine up to temp and to get used to the clutch. No worries so far... Once though town I got to the dual carriageway and must admit, that I am very impressed with the way it goes. For a diesel it's quick - bearing in mind I am used to a tuned Nissan 200sx. Obviously not as quick, but very good nonetheless.

Got back to the garage and gave the keys back with a good mind to put in an offer, I had a word with the guy and am going back on Wednesday once it has been fully valeted.

Only a couple of minor gripes:

The boot opening isn't as large as I'd have liked, even if the boot is a cavern!
The rear visibility isn't that great, but I still had no worries reversing. Though my wife might.
Lastly the bite-point on the clutch is very high! Is that normal?

All in all though I and my family were very impressed!

Justin
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 08:09   #2
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Thanks for sharing, hope you find the right car - don't rush into buying the first one you see.

Things like the centre cup holder lid - if you are buying from trade get it replaced as part of the deal otherwise it will bug you for ever (trust me mine's the same) do the same with any similar "minor" things as these add up to a lot of money to get sorted (£90 for the cup holder, lid not sold seperately) or if it's a private seller negotiate discounts for each thing you spot especially on the interior as these are the things that you have to look at every day and they don't pollish out!

Agreed about the boot slot, yes, you have to post anything that you want to get in there (flat pack only) but if you were getting the car for it's boot capacity you'd get the V70!?

Clutch doesn't sound right to me, may just be an adjustment issue but certainly not a feature of the model, unless you've just noticed it as being very different to your current car?

Finally, at 108k, check the service history to be sure that things like cam belt have been done (should also be a sticker on the top of the front panel for this)

Good luck,

Tim.

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 21:05   #3
Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5 _Monkey View Post
Thanks for sharing, hope you find the right car - don't rush into buying the first one you see.

Things like the centre cup holder lid - if you are buying from trade get it replaced as part of the deal otherwise it will bug you for ever (trust me mine's the same) do the same with any similar "minor" things as these add up to a lot of money to get sorted (£90 for the cup holder, lid not sold seperately) or if it's a private seller negotiate discounts for each thing you spot especially on the interior as these are the things that you have to look at every day and they don't pollish out!
I'd definitely want that sorted, as I would annoy the hell out of me!

Quote:
Agreed about the boot slot, yes, you have to post anything that you want to get in there (flat pack only) but if you were getting the car for it's boot capacity you'd get the V70!?
I have looked at the V70, but both myself and the wife prefer the saloon. I suppose my main concern with the boot 'slot' is whether our baby buggy will fit in as it's one of those big buggers that last right from baby to toddler. It's more like a moon buggy

Quote:
Clutch doesn't sound right to me, may just be an adjustment issue but certainly not a feature of the model, unless you've just noticed it as being very different to your current car?
I am used to a sports clutch, which is quite heavy and has a fairly quick bite-point. However this one required the pedal to be nearly all the way up before I could feel anything. Maybe this is something that could be adjusted?

Quote:
Finally, at 108k, check the service history to be sure that things like cam belt have been done (should also be a sticker on the top of the front panel for this)

Good luck,

Tim.
As for the service history, I will be looking through this with a fine-tooth comb when I go back to see the car again, as I forgot to ask to see it on the day of the test-drive.

Justin
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 21:14   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

The clutch sounds as if its about 80% worn it will probably go on a long time yet but still an expensive job to have done ...

AT 108000 it is bang on due for service and the cam belt should have been changed at the last 96ooo service , was it?
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 21:28   #5
Viper_7
Premier Member

You should be ok for the buggy, as long as you have watched how they complete the puzzles on the Krpyton Factor.
It will have to go in length ways and then you can straighten it out, this means you really can't have anything else in the boot for you to put it in, or it ends up being at the back. Obviously the opening is as such due to the design of the 'V' cut into the rear hauches and followed thru to the light cluster. It gives the Snn range the current Volvo look but it does hamper functionality.

I'd agree about the clutch it does sound worn. i'm not 100% sure , but the clutch is self adjusting - could be wrong here, but I'm sure I've seen it somewhere. This would be an expensive replacement if done by a dealer, but it could be item you need to haggle a little on the price,and this isn't just a niggly haggle it's a strong point.
Also 108K isn't alot for a clutch really, should last much longer, but it only takes a previous owner to ride it at the lights etc all the time to kill it.

The D5 engine otherwise is pretty much bullet proof, and with the bodywork and interior as you describe it should give you many years of happy motoring.

Vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 21:38   #6
Infinity

Cheers for the feedback on the clutch... It felt fine other than the high bite point, but it is something I will bear in mind when it comes to haggling

However, I really need to see the service book first - as I mentioned previously I forgot to look through it. I'm guessing by the way it drives that it has been looked after service wise...

Clan, thanks for the heads-up for the cam belt I will check this out.

As for the buggy I might ask for another test drive and bring the car to my house and have a go - I only live a short drive from the garage

Justin
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:56   #7
SteveTDCi

Try and drive a different S60 to get an idea of the clutch, it might just be the S60 being different to the 200SX, and I presume you would want to remap it to get a bit extra performance to get you closer to the power of your SX. You will have to adapt your driving style completley but you will find the D5 quicker in day to day driving.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 07:37   #8
Infinity

Well I went back to have another look at it yesterday after work.

I had a good look through the service history and it was serviced at 103k, and the sticker under the bonnet said that the cam belt was done at 105k, so all is well there!

RE: the clutch... They have another S60 (2.0T), which has only just had a new clutch and the bite-point is the very similar. I guess I'm just used to the early bite on my 200sx.

RE: the cup holder lid... That will be replaced if I decide to purchase the car

Steve, yes at some point I will want a remap. However, as with any car that I've modified I want to spend a good 6 months getting to know the car first before taking to another level

I know my driving style will have change somewhat. This was pointed out by my wife on the test drive as I chucked it into the round-about like I would the 200sx, totally forgetting that I was now driving a family car!

Justin
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 07:46   #9
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
I know my driving style will have change somewhat. This was pointed out by my wife on the test drive as I chucked it into the round-about like I would the 200sx, totally forgetting that I was now driving a family car!

Justin
Bet you also failed to change out of 1st gear within 0.001 sec of setting off!

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 08:43   #10
SteveTDCi

I don't think the S60 will drift like the 200SX either !
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote