Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 petrol or Diesel...

Views : 1928

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2007, 16:56   #1
meta_volante

Question S60 petrol or Diesel...

Hi forum people

I am considering buying another S60 now I am somewhere near getting my money problems sorted (the reason I had to sell my other). My old S60 was a 2.0T SE auto '01 and I loved the car dearly,but I always had the ETM issues in the back of my mind and the car suffered from irratic idling and ETM related issues and visited the Main stealers a few with these issues - but to no avail. I lived with these problems and enjoyed my S60 to the max (pics can still be seen in my gallery), question is this now - do I buy another 2.0T and go through the ETM issues again (or buy a later non ETM model if funds allow) or just go for the D5 and not worry at all ? My yearly mileage is approx 7K in total and I have been told that buying a diesel would be ineffective fuel cost wise over the petrol engine version at this type of distance. The car would mainly be used for the school runs and the odd shopping trip / day out, while the rest of the time it would be polished on me driveway

any feedback welcomed

Andy

'03 S40 1.9D Sport
meta_volante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 17:02   #2
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Andy,

Save the planet, burn some heavy oil!!

Tim.

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 17:05   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Thumbs up

Having changed from a 2001 V70 petrol to an S60 D5 I would say the move has been great. The D5 is fast and economical and will hold its value better than a petrol. I find that an average of 42 mpg overall since I bought the car is great and that includes towing the caravan on our holidays. The old V70 averaged betwen 26/28 mpg everday running and more on distance work. I really enjoy my S60.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 17:32   #4
Viper_7
Premier Member

Your right saying that your millage would never save you much owning a diesel in terms of fuel costs, but you save so much more with regards to longevity of parts and resale value than you would with a petrol.

The Petrol models may have had the problems with the ETM - but the Diesels had the injector problems!

For 7K a year though and for your usage - I'd have neither and get a toyota Aygo or something!

Personally I also prefer buying second hand diesels as they can't be thrashed
and rev low so always feels a sure fire purchase compared to Petrol which could have a history of been red lined all the time.

vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:11   #5
meta_volante

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post
The Petrol models may have had the problems with the ETM - but the Diesels had the injector problems!

For 7K a year though and for your usage - I'd have neither and get a toyota Aygo or something!

vipes
Morning Vipes,

Thanks for bringing the injector probs to my attention - I will search for more info on it, surely it can't be that bad can it? I mean ETM level bad?

and as for the Toyota - after having 2 S40s and an S60, even if I was only going to the end of the road every day I'd stick with Volvo - me and Mrs meta just love the feeling of safety and quality you get with Volvo, and its nice to have a better half that loves the car you drive, now I just need to work out a way to get her out of the driving seat and me into it

regards

Andy

'03 S40 1.9D Sport
meta_volante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:20   #6
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I left Volvo as our family car at one point and missed it terribly and was happy to go back and would not make that mistake again. A volvo is a very safe family car. I would still buy a D5 doing that low mileage.
All the best.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:34   #7
baldt

Thumbs up

I agree. I only do between 5 - 10k a year (minus holidays etc.). I too have had two S40's and also an Audi TDi. I loved them all. However... my S60 D5 is by far the best car I have EVER owned. This S60 is the 14th car I've had and I have had many models from VW's to Vauxhalls

The Audi was great. It felt well built and being a Quattro, felt VERY safe in rain, standing water, snow etc. The reason I went back to Volvo though, apart from obvious safety issues, is that the build quality is as good as the Audi buy you get 100 times more kit and much less miles on the clock for your money. On the equivalent model of ANY car you won't get half the kit you do with an S60. Yeah people say modern Volvo's are Fords. However I had an S40 before Ford took over and one after. Yes the engine and gearbox improved (these were out of a Mitsubishi anyway) but that was it

My advice go for it! I will always say Diesel over petrol. It's not just the mpg you get but the power. It's not about BHP (even though 163 or 185 is mega) it all about torque, and the S60 has nearly twice as much as my Audi did

Go on autotrader.co.uk, parkers.co.uk or similar and do a comparison for the same money and same miles. The S60 will come up trumps everytime!!!

baldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:17   #8
Viper_7
Premier Member

So true, unless your a boy racer and are a 0-60 fanatic then the diesel gives you much more usefull power.

It's best for towing, and it's absolutly superb for 30-70mph overtaking capabilty. The drive is altogether more relaxed as well with less gear changes required - once your out of first!

The torque also helps in traffic queue's just stick it in first and let the idle speed take you along you don't have to touch the throttle - can do the same in second too! Holds a nice constant crawl speed with less clutch riding.

You'll never have to replace the exhaust for donkeys years either! along with the lack of water in the fuel and lets face the carbon in the exaust - it coats it nicely and they don't corrode the same why they do on Petrol vehicles. That's one of the things I mean about costs savings, there are others too.
Vipes
Mods:
Child Seat
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:30   #9
baldt

Right back at you Mr Viper sir! Everything he just said and more!

A friend of mine had a petrol Seat Ibiza and he had to thrash it to get any power. It was a 140bhp and when I had my Audi (only a 110bhp) he would take the mick... until he drove it! He now has a Seat Leon Tdi - I wonder why?

Is it possible to fall in love with a car? If so, best not tell the wife!
baldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:31   #10
Viper_7
Premier Member

So in summary -

Diesel cha cha cha, Diesel cha cha cha!

Anyone got any pro's over diesels for Petrol engines?

I can think of -
Better off the line acceleration.
Quieter at low speeds - but still slightly quiter at cruising speed - but you don't get the D5 Growl!!

Cleaner fuel - although I'd argue it takes less energy to produce diesel - you get better MPG - you get better longevity so is petrol really cleaner? Just at the exhaust level I'd say.

More refined drive - better lower gear ratio's.

ermmmm

Diesel cha cha cha....
Mods:
Child Seat