Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auxiliary Belt Kit

Views : 441

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2024, 06:05   #1
machineage

Default Auxiliary Belt Kit

Hi all!

So it sounds like the bearings are shot in the idler pulley on my V50. The belt is screeching too. It's a 2008 1.8 petrol engine, would part no: 9487168 be the correct replacement kit for this engine?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7893.jpg (100.7 KB, 22 views)
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 09:04   #2
PNM

That is the correct kit.

However, the bearing is contained within the pulley. So if you think the tensioner mechanism is fine, but the bearing is rough, you could just change it for something like this

https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-...km34231-detail

If memory serves me correctly, it's held onto the tensioner with a reverse thread.
PNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 02:35   #3
machineage

Many thanks

Given the belts / pulley are the originals to my knowledge, and there is screeching which is quite bad at times, I thought it best to get the kit and replace both belts & the idler.

I've read about the issues getting the AC belt on, but seeing as I never use AC, I'm just wondering if I can just leave that belt off for now?

Cheers!
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 08:59   #4
PNM

Fair enough.

The AC belt is a bit of a pig to do, but completely doable for someone with some knowledge and a basic tool kit. The Haynes manual recommended loosening the compressor fixing bolts slightly to generate some slack, but you can also buy a stretch belt tool.

The AC belt can be left off, however it's recommended that the ac pump is ran fairly regularly to keep the seals lubricated to stop leaks.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 09:57   #5
PNM

Also, I've just looked at the picture you've put in the original post and that belt looks in bad shape. Once you've got it off, spin the rest of the pulleys by hand to make sure none of them are sticking or feeling rough
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 12:46   #6
machineage

Thanks @PNM

Yes, the belt does look well past its best.

The AC compressor hasn't been put into use for nigh on a decade, so I would imagine the seals are well shot by now!

I'll get the kit on order.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 15:08   #7
machineage

UPDATE:

I went for the INA kit, apparently OEM for VW etc, and it came with the three bolts. Installing it wasn't too difficult, the trickiest part was getting the belt sitting in the correct position ready for final mounting / tensioning. I left the AC belt off for now.

The bearing in the original idler was definitely past it. Loads of play in it, and clearly on its way out. Anyway, I checked the water pump & alternator bearings - they felt / sounded OK when spinning them manually. However when I fitted the belt kit and started up, I still have a distinct whine
Listening with a long screwdriver it's clearly the water pump bearing. So I need to order a pump now!

Anyone know the pump part number for my engine?

Also found another issue, posted separately

Thanks!
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 21:06   #8
machineage

Bought an INA pump, arrived today. Will update when I can get the other problem sorted!