Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Camber angle and suspension strut bolts

Views : 758

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2019, 19:31   #1
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Default Camber angle and suspension strut bolts

I've just replaced the front reluctor rings on my 1998 V70 Tdi.

As a result of disturbing the suspension strut to steering knuckle bolts when replacing the ABS reluctor rings the other day, I'm now replacing these nuts and bolts since they are single use stretch bolts. Even if they weren't, I wouldn't have wanted to re-use them anyway since the heads were somewhat corroded. I'd hoped to avoid having to disturb them but I was unable to free the lower balljoint from the steering knuckle.

Now as I understand it, the camber angle is, in theory, not adjustable but with the bolts fitted loosley there is some free movement of the steering knuckle relative to the strut in the plane which will affect the camber angle.

Not having any alignment gear or even a level piece of driveway attempting to measure the camber angle is probably a non-starter. So I'm thinking just to set the steering knuckles in the middle of the available range of adjustment and hope for the best. Does this seem reasonable or is there better way?

The wheel alignment was good before I took the old bolts out.

I should welcome your comments please.

Many thanks

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 19:46   #2
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Martin.

I don't know where I got the idea from, but somewhere (ipd, fcp, robert etc) I picked up the idea that I should lift the brake disc and steering knuckle before tightening the knuckle to strut bolts.

ie go for the max lean in of the top of the knuckle.

That has given me an acceptable camber whenever I have subsequently had it checked.

And it seems like the easy option.

Hope that helps.
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Jun 11th, 2019 at 19:50.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 19:55   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Martin: ~ I have completed the same a few months back on a ’97 V70 estate (some previous correspondence exists regarding this & the ABS repair) after cleaning the various suspension parts & bolts then a straight forward – put everything back as found-procedure has been fine to date, tracking and camber remain as original i.e. no further adjustments required.
(I heated the rings to expand them prior to fitting)
Hope it helps
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 20:24   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

If the car drove well before dismantling, can you not re-assemble the strut and hubs by lining up the old rust/assembly shadow on the paint/metal. It should then be back to where it started.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 23:42   #5
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Now why didn't I think of that? Sometimes it's remarkably easy to miss the obvious!

Much useful advice received so far.

Many thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 18:57   #6
Martin Cox
VOC Member

So the new nuts and bolts are in and properly tightened. Unfortunately the old rust/assembly shadow wasn't clear enough to provide a definitive setting, so in the end I went for Steve's suggestion but backed off very slightly.

I can't tell any difference from how it drove before so it can't be too far off.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and comments.

There are a few creaks and groans coming from the back which I think may be tired delta link bushes but that's a job for another day.

Martin
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 05:44   #7
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
So the new nuts and bolts are in and properly tightened. Unfortunately the old rust/assembly shadow wasn't clear enough to provide a definitive setting, so in the end I went for Steve's suggestion but backed off very slightly.

I can't tell any difference from how it drove before so it can't be too far off.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and comments.

There are a few creaks and groans coming from the back which I think may be tired delta link bushes but that's a job for another day.

Martin
I hope to do all 4 rear bushes on my 70 this weekend if it stops raining!!!
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:20   #8
Martin Cox
VOC Member

It's still pretty wet here so good luck. I'd be interested to hear how you get on. It's a job I may have to tackle sooner or later but I might just pay to have it done.

Martin.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 06:14   #9
PNuT
MaDMaN

The delta links are easy with the right bits of kit, I have changed a set in around an hour without the special tool but you will need various other things to do it!

I have just bought the tool now as I figure every 70 I buy those ends are going to be worn out due to the age!