Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Good is The B230K Engine

Views : 9628

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 17:18   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh740R View Post
The B230K fitted to a 740 used the 631 Cylinder head. Its a flat head and there is no combustion chamber within the head. The combustion is all done within the the cylinder bores. So it is a key maintance item to replace the cambelt within the service intervals, as if it snaps it will cause contace and damage the valves.

The cambelt snapped 2k short of its service interval, heres one of the valves, quite a few had to pressed out of the head.

The B230A uses a convential head set up most probably a 405 head or a 530, not to sure to because never had any of these engines in my possesion. Also the b230k has a head mounted distributor where as b230A's have a convential Dizzy mounted in the block

My father had a 87 740GL with the B230K from new and it was a fine car and the only faults it had were the mechanical Fuel pump packed up, and we changed the pierburg carb to a brand new webber as the pierburg carb seemed to be probelematic with its auto choke, this was around 125k.

Its milege as i recall correctly was around 160k at the time and it was still going strong.

Other than that a great engine in a fine car and if it hadnt been written off in 1998 by some lowlife drunk driver ploughing into it i think my dad would still be driving it to this day or it would have been kept as a runabout in the family.

At least it died saving my dad's life.

RIP D163 EVC a truely fine car.

That Engine is not A B230K it is a B230KH and comes with extra emission gear . H stands for Heron , which is the type of head you explained pretty well .
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 09:00   #32
skidje
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That Engine is not A B230K it is a B230KH and comes with extra emission gear . H stands for Heron , which is the type of head you explained pretty well .
Hi Clan, So the B230K is a similar engine to B230A? Since I saw an engine with 530 head. Whereas I also thought that the B230K always had heron heads. Any idea what CR this B230K engine has from the 700 series? I need a high compression enginion and came across this B230K with an old chap who is selling. And it looks like it never ran in his 700 series with automatic gearbox.
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 11:54   #33
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The early K is basically a A engine but with the twin choke carb. Later K engines can be identified by the 631 head
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 13:16   #34
skidje
Master Member

Are these engines really with car 10.3?
I need the bases to replace a B230E running LPG and besides fueling seems the engines are quite alike
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 20:28   #35
skidje
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidje View Post
Are these engines really with car 10.3?
I need the bases to replace a B230E running LPG and besides fueling seems the engines are quite alike
Compression ratio 10.3

Sorry
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 21:29   #36
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If looking at the B230K with 530 head head the dish in the pistons is about the same as a B230A/E engine

Are you looking at just slapping in a used bottom end or building a engine optimised for LPG?
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 00:34   #37
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidje View Post
Hi Clan, So the B230K is a similar engine to B230A? Since I saw an engine with 530 head. Whereas I also thought that the B230K always had heron heads. Any idea what CR this B230K engine has from the 700 series? I need a high compression enginion and came across this B230K with an old chap who is selling. And it looks like it never ran in his 700 series with automatic gearbox.
The B230FK is 8.7:1
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 05:27   #38
skidje
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
If looking at the B230K with 530 head head the dish in the pistons is about the same as a B230A/E engine

Are you looking at just slapping in a used bottom end or building a engine optimised for LPG?
Optimized for lpg. The 245 runs already 15 years with an B230E KJet inlet. Inlet and outlet will be transferred to new engine Incl of ignition.. I would assume the B230K can do the job after lowering the head with 0,5 - 1.0 mm or so. Any advice welcome..

Last edited by skidje; Oct 15th, 2023 at 07:43.
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 20:56   #39
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Flat top pistons would be one good way of raising the CR. Another option that would be good is to for a 86mm crank raising the CC and in turn giving a little increase in CR to match