Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best sites for selling an old Volvo?

Views : 2491

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2014, 22:59   #1
hancock23

Default What are the best sites for selling an old Volvo?

Any advice gratefully received?
hancock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 09:17   #2
nivram
nivram

I have sold my Volvo and Saab via this site http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/.
It is not usually a good idea to try and sell a car on owners club sites as most members have one or more cars anyway and they will want it as cheap as possible!

Last edited by nivram; Nov 21st, 2014 at 11:34. Reason: Link
nivram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nivram For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 10:10   #3
S40D Sport

This is a laugh, I tried to give you advice in your for sale thread, and you were smart back to me, then you make another thread asking for advice, which as you say will be "gratefully received".

You have the car advertised in the right places (eBay may help too), thats not where your issues in selling it lie....My advice, as a motor trader and a bit of a Volvo enthusiast (whether you choose to take it or attack me with your humorous quips) is this:

Firstly, you seem to have a quirky sense of humour, great, sure dont we all like a laugh, but for the purposes of selling your car, and especially when advertising it on a Volvo enthusiast forum, people want as much factual detail as possible and plenty of photos, no harm in a bit of humour thrown in, but all the details need to be there too. Most of these cars are bought by strange volvo entusiasts with a detail fetish I have found. The odd one will go to someone who just needs a big old load lugger.

Secondly, Your car is a V6, was is not particularly appealing as they weren't particaularly good at anything; not as reliable or economical as the 4 cylinders and the diesel, not as fast as the turbos. Infact, theyre down right awful on petrol and need proper maintenance, which doesnt tie in with the practical banger estate theme too well. Also, the miles on your car really are high for a V6. If its in nice order I'd say its worth about £600 to the right man (feel free to argue that anyone).

Thirdly, it has a limited market, so being slightly rude and facetious to people who may actually be interested, know someone thats interested, or be able to provide you with sound advice probably isn't going to help secure a sale.

Last edited by S40D Sport; Nov 21st, 2014 at 10:14.
S40D Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S40D Sport For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 14:36   #4
JohnDL

I feel compelled to join in on this. I have my car advertised on here. It apparently ticks all the boxes (4 cyl, turbo, fairly low mileage, etc.) and once I got over a slight technical difficulty uploading pictures, I think I provided as much detail as anyone could.

The only replies I got were half a dozen irrelevant comments from a group of 'enthusiasts' about whether not not this model normally had a turbo gauge. I suppose you could say that's my fault for including a picture of the dashboard?

My thread was effectively hijacked for a completely off-topic discussion and I nearly reported it to the moderators.

Nivram sums it up I think, this is not a good place to try selling a car. However, if anyone's interested or knows someone who might be, mine's still for sale!
JohnDL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnDL For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 14:45   #5
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDL View Post
I feel compelled to join in on this. I have my car advertised on here. It apparently ticks all the boxes (4 cyl, turbo, fairly low mileage, etc.) and once I got over a slight technical difficulty uploading pictures, I think I provided as much detail as anyone could.

The only replies I got were half a dozen irrelevant comments from a group of 'enthusiasts' about whether not not this model normally had a turbo gauge. I suppose you could say that's my fault for including a picture of the dashboard?

My thread was effectively hijacked for a completely off-topic discussion and I nearly reported it to the moderators.

Nivram sums it up I think, this is not a good place to try selling a car. However, if anyone's interested or knows someone who might be, mine's still for sale!
Sorry if my comment added to things. It wasn't my intention to go off on a tangent just to point out it was how they were. Sometimes it can be a good thing to get the thread bumped to the top of the list. The mods might be able to remove the posts though if you ask.

The only problem with advertising on here is that most people already own a Volvo.

Last edited by Steve940estate; Nov 21st, 2014 at 14:49.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 23:30   #6
hancock23

Default Coming soon - 'The Wicker Volvo'!

I wonder what the punishment for having a quirky sense of humour when discussing Volvos is...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wicker.jpg (365.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by hancock23; Nov 21st, 2014 at 23:32.
hancock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 02:17   #7
TheLeeds

I just use an ebay classified ad with no best offer, and also put it on Car and Classic. I tried the free adverts on Pistonheads, but I couldn't seem to be able to do it last time, because they kept trying to get me to upgrade to a paid ad, so I didn't bother in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock23 View Post
I wonder what the punishment for having a quirky sense of humour when discussing Volvos is...

We didn't burn him ?

Last edited by TheLeeds; Nov 22nd, 2014 at 02:20. Reason: Never ever, bloody anything, ever.
TheLeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheLeeds For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 04:43   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivram View Post
It is not usually a good idea to try and sell a car on owners club sites as most members have one or more cars anyway and they will want it as cheap as possible!
It's probably not a good idea to buy one either..!!

I said to one seller of a car that if he couldn't sell, and he was pushed for a quick sale cheap, then contact me and I would take it off his hands. In other words if he couldn't sell it, I would buy it.

Was hoping for a good car at a cheap price, yet what I got off the 'big man' was pure aggression, foul language, and threats of violence..!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 10:06   #9
740T
Master Member

Perhaps what we need to do is set a minimum amount of posts before being able to post in the for sale section. Plenty of other forums do this. Prevents people just signing up to sell their car.
740T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 740T For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 13:07   #10
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Many of us have argued for a simple sales template (for cars) that needs to be adhered to. Ergo if your sales post does not conform then it is deleted. A minimum amount of posts should be a part of the selling criteria. And too many folk on here just to sell cars - remember it's the club members (names in blue) that pay for this forum.

Hancock23s problems arose principally with the poor quality of his original post; he thinks he has a sense of humour - that's for others to decide. I don't think he even has an armful (to paraphrase a favourite comedy actor).

His thread should be deleted...and unless the condition is truly special (or an unusual car or both) then the best place for most 900s is Autotrader.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Nov 22nd, 2014 at 13:26.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote