Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best sites for selling an old Volvo?

Views : 2490

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 15:26   #11
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Having been a member (on and off) for apparently 14 years according to my sig I'd agree with the main themes above, namely:

* Don't bother advertising a Volvo to club members and expect them to pay top dollar, since most already have 1 or more Volvos they've looked long and hard to acquire.

* Don't take offence over a low (to you) offer, since you're the one who needs or wants to sell it, they don't have to purchase it. Anyone who's ever had to get rid of a car quick will have been similarly shocked; it's life so get over it.

* Don't advertise with missing info, or rather, detail the obvious things that every buyer will want to know, price, mileage, auto/man, estate/sal, etc.

* Don't get annoyed if you're asked some arcane question such as "does it have a turbo gauge?" for example since it's a club site, we're all anoraks to a greater or lesser degree and enjoy chewing over the various differences and discrepancies between outwardly similar models. All to often a seller 'forgets' to upload a picture from one particular angle that just 'happens' to disguise damage or suchlike.

* Don't expect to roll up and open your account then post your ad the same day and expect to be treated with anything other than assumption that you're a trader trying to bump up the price of a car you've taken in as a px for a song. If you're not, why in all the time you've allegedly 'owned' 'your' Volvo have you never bothered joining, until today that is?

Undoubtably I'll get flamed for the above, but so what, it's a club site and we all have opinions, just not all the same.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 17:26   #12
Cromlech

^Won't find much better advice than that.^
Cromlech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cromlech For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 21:01   #13
hancock23

Default A few points -

'it's life so get over it' - stupid pseudo-American cliche. What does it actually mean?

'many folk on here just to sell cars' - why not?

'His thread should be deleted' - o the pain of it all.

I don't think he even has an armful (to paraphrase a favourite comedy actor) - A Piltdown Glory for that chap!
hancock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 21:15   #14
JohnDL

It's interesting that you say club member's names come up in blue. I'm a member of many years standing and mine doesn't.
JohnDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 21:49   #15
Wentworth
VOC Member

Default VOC Members

Hi John,

Click on User CP near the top of the web page on the left. This will take you to your forum membership control screen where you can add interesting titbits of info about yourself. You should have the option to tick a checkbox to state that you are a VOC member and add your membership number.

This may be enough to get your username in blue and access to the exclusive members area. If not a note to a mod should get everything moving.

Cheers
Paul.
1997 V90 B6304 sold @ 116k
1993 945 B200FT retired @ 206k
Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 21:58   #16
JohnDL

Thanks Paul.
JohnDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 23:40   #17
740T
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock23 View Post

'many folk on here just to sell cars' - why not?
Mainly because the adverts lack detail, then when asked for specific details people throw the dummy out the pram.

You could also argue why should people get free advertising whilst contributing nothing to the forum.
740T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 740T For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 14:40   #18
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

I was going to reply but I can't be bothered and have deleted it since it'll only incur another missive as a reply from you.

You appear to delight in trying to prove you're right and that a funny advert will work.

Can't be bothered.

I do hope the car sells, however.

C

Last edited by CharlesStevenson; Nov 23rd, 2014 at 14:50.
CharlesStevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 16:13   #19
volvobm

if there was a volvo club forum type page somewhere, frequented by volvo owners and enthusiasts.
not sure worth a try, if you find one let us all know
volvobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 16:16   #20
volvonewbie76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson View Post
Having been a member (on and off) for apparently 14 years according to my sig I'd agree with the main themes above, namely:

* Don't bother advertising a Volvo to club members and expect them to pay top dollar, since most already have 1 or more Volvos they've looked long and hard to acquire.

* Don't take offence over a low (to you) offer, since you're the one who needs or wants to sell it, they don't have to purchase it. Anyone who's ever had to get rid of a car quick will have been similarly shocked; it's life so get over it.

* Don't advertise with missing info, or rather, detail the obvious things that every buyer will want to know, price, mileage, auto/man, estate/sal, etc.

* Don't get annoyed if you're asked some arcane question such as "does it have a turbo gauge?" for example since it's a club site, we're all anoraks to a greater or lesser degree and enjoy chewing over the various differences and discrepancies between outwardly similar models. All to often a seller 'forgets' to upload a picture from one particular angle that just 'happens' to disguise damage or suchlike.

* Don't expect to roll up and open your account then post your ad the same day and expect to be treated with anything other than assumption that you're a trader trying to bump up the price of a car you've taken in as a px for a song. If you're not, why in all the time you've allegedly 'owned' 'your' Volvo have you never bothered joining, until today that is?

Undoubtably I'll get flamed for the above, but so what, it's a club site and we all have opinions, just not all the same.
Hi Charles, all I'm new here and in the market for a Volvo estate at some point. Just going to educate myself on these cars on what seems like a very informative forum.
Almost completely agree with your list, although in one forum I'm part of, offers are never made publicly and instead by private negotiation. It can be such an emotive subject for both sellers and buyers that disagreements often occur.
volvonewbie76 is offline   Reply With Quote