Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603190

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2016, 20:40   #1321
jco

Default Is this the record

Going in tomorrow for my 6th - yes 6th - visit to remove warning light
Seems to last for about 8000 miles on mine and then need doing again. I'm wondering if there is something else as well a least on mine

Problem now now is that I only have 6 months warranty left and no confidence that they can (or will) fix it. So going to try to sting them for an extended warranty or contribution to same - on grounds that I don't see why I should pay for a warranty to cover what they clearly can't fix. Fitness for purpose springs to mind.
jco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 21:08   #1322
Considered1
Premier Member

I got my receipt for safekeeping, apart from a £14 wahsher jet nozzle thats a £830 + bill folks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf egr fix2016.pdf (145.6 KB, 93 views)
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 22:11   #1323
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Going in tomorrow for my 6th - yes 6th - visit to remove warning light
Seems to last for about 8000 miles on mine and then need doing again. I'm wondering if there is something else as well a least on mine

Problem now now is that I only have 6 months warranty left and no confidence that they can (or will) fix it. So going to try to sting them for an extended warranty or contribution to same - on grounds that I don't see why I should pay for a warranty to cover what they clearly can't fix. Fitness for purpose springs to mind.
Bloody hell, six times? You need to communicate with Volvo UK, I don't think your supplying dealer is unlikely to be able to do anything in terms of offering an extended warranty.

I'd be tempted to write to the MD of Volvo UK, describe briefly your situation, the six unscheduled dealer visits, etc, and say how this experience falls far short of what you would expect from a quality marque such as Volvo, and that you have no confidence in your car's longevity outside the warranty period, nor any confidence in Volvo's ability to resolve the problem.

As such you want an assurance that any repeat of an EGR-related fault outside the warranty period will be covered in full at your supplying dealer, etc.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 22:16   #1324
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
I got my receipt for safekeeping, apart from a £14 wahsher jet nozzle thats a £830 + bill folks.
Thanks for posting that, that's very interesting. I've said it before and I'll say it again - this problem is extremely costly for Volvo, and they are very lucky indeed that only a handful of cars are rendered undriveable by the EGR problems.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 00:40   #1325
Bendolfc
Premier Member

I'd imagine the cost price of the parts (to Volvo) are significantly less than the invoice price.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 10:16   #1326
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
I'd imagine the cost price of the parts (to Volvo) are significantly less than the invoice price.
How is this going to affect the Warranty Direct (and others) premiums for VEA cars ? Will this be 'excluded' or will the premiums go up ? As it is a known issue, I can't see them being very willing to (effectively) subsidise Volvo's rectification programme.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 10:48   #1327
Turnwood

About 50 pages ago (this is a big thread!) I recall someone else saying that they had already contacted Volvo UK about covering any EGR failures outside the warranty period? What was the response? My car is only 18 months old but I am heading rapidly towards 60k on the clock....

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:13   #1328
Bendolfc
Premier Member

I'd have thought given it is clearly a known design fault, Volvo (well the supplying dealer technically) wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they attempted to say it isn't their problem and you took or threatened to take them to court.

Less clear cut thought for second hand cars, I'd hope Volvo would extend the warrenty for this particular issue but in absence of any official statement, it puts me off buying a used example thats 2-3 years old, which is basically what I am currently looking to do but not a chance in hell until they release some kind of official statement on the situation going forward.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:29   #1329
emjga

Default EGR Fix X 3

Once again the Engine Warning light come on and the Turtle (With loss of power)
Not seen him before I was wondering if I was missing out on all the game characters from Vokomon

Mileage 19K so 10K since last time.

EGR to be replaced and Cooling pipework to be done

Does anybody know how to tell if they are fitting the latest EGR fix. ?
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:47   #1330
kdst5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
I'd have thought given it is clearly a known design fault, Volvo (well the supplying dealer technically) wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they attempted to say it isn't their problem and you took or threatened to take them to court.

Less clear cut thought for second hand cars, I'd hope Volvo would extend the warrenty for this particular issue but in absence of any official statement, it puts me off buying a used example thats 2-3 years old, which is basically what I am currently looking to do but not a chance in hell until they release some kind of official statement on the situation going forward.
Remember that the original P2 V70, S80, S60 etc had a problem with the ETM which I don't think had an extended warranty in the UK unlike the USA.

I have recently bought a 2 year old V70 and avoided the D4 because of the EGR problems and went for the D5 instead. Even with what is now said to be a permanent fix for the D4 it will be a number of years before we really know if that is true.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote