Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How have you lowered your c30?

Views : 3895

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2018, 19:09   #1
Dervy

Arrow How have you lowered your c30?

Hey guys!

Still looking into the best way to lower my c30.
Was looking at 30mm springs h&r or eibach.
Or cheap pro sport coilovers.

Ideally i prefer the idea of the decent springs but i don't know if it'll be as low as i like at the rear.
I don't want it 'slammed'. Just a lot less arch gap.

So if i did go down the cheap coilover route, they wouldn't be set to their lowest setting.

Ideally, can some members please post pictures of their c30 that has been lowered on 30mm springs only and with 17" wheels to give me an idea. I'll be using 17" canopus wheels.

Or any long term review of the cheap coilover kits! I'm hearing mixed reviews!
Dervy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 19:38   #2
Sk8ir

Mines on 17s, lowered 30mm on Eibachs. Just done a few weeks ago, so don't have many pics yet.

I wasn't particularly looking to lower it, but 2 of the springs needed replacing anyway for the MOT and the Eibach can be had for good prices - it was much cheaper than OEM would've been. I've had Eibachs before on other cars, and so knew pretty much what to expect from them.

I'm really pleased with the results - the huge arch gaps before, especially at the rear, seemed so out of place with the R-Design bodykit. The visual difference is great, but there's no worry with speed bumps, etc - it's certainly not "slammed", just sensibly lowered. I was surprised how much difference there was though - I thought the R-Design was lower to start with...

I've still got the OEM shocks on there at the moment - but when funds permit (probably next year!) I'll go for the Bilstein B4s.

Ride is fine - can definitely appreciate the slightly lower centre of gravity, and it's still perfectly comfy (although a bit less travel in the shocks of course, which is noticeable but seems fine to me for a daily driver).

Pics:

Before:

After:
Sk8ir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sk8ir For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 22:46   #3
Dervy

That's exactly what i was looking for thank you!

Mine is an r-design too. As far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) r-design springs were 10mm shorter than standard but the rear arch gap is too out of place!

Thanks for the reply and pics! Think I'll be going the same route as you. 👍👍👍
Dervy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 22:21   #4
domhart10
Volvo S40

depends what you are after as well, yes the Eibachs are nice still quite some body roll but obviously reduces that wheel arch gap a bit. I removed the Eibachs after a bit for some bilestein coilovers to get a bit lower, handling was incredibly improved ... ride a bit firmer but this is what I was after

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 21:49   #5
niggly

Can I chip in on coilovers? My C30 suspension is standard except I fitted Bilstein B4s last year as I reckoned the 100k mile originals would be knackered. It is my comfy daily.

But I have a BMW MINI R53 S to mod and waste money on. I've been in a lot of cars with a lot of different makes of coilovers, road and tracking. Doesn't make me any kind of expert but I have done some sampling as it were.

If you know all this, do not read on!!

Basically cheap coilovers are an abomination. Dreadful, appalling, avoid, don't waste money on them. Set of H&R or Eibach springs much better.

In the MINI world 'decent' fast road/tracking coilovers new are sort of £800 upwards, depending on brand and adjustability. So the £1,000++ would probably have ride height, rebound, bump/compression and maybe come with their own built-in camber adjustable top mounts which will be 'pin-ball' - no rubbery dubbery. All coilovers offer ride height adjustment. Most people, unless serious trackers, just go with rebound adjustable. Strikes me that unless you are Jenson Button, how does the common man (i.e. me) know how to dial in/adjust all those options? Smack them on, adjust your height/stance to taste and off you go.

Having owned various marques it seems A) each marque is pretty tribal brand-wise B) different brands really do seem to suit some marques better than others.

So the best coilovers for the price I have ever come across are APs. Just height adjustable. Very comfortable on our broken roads, at least on a MINI. Designed to be so by those clever Germans at KW. They are made by KW Automotive, who also make ST coilovers. APs are KWs 'budget' offering - they are well engineered and good quality. I have just bought a used set for my MINI for £280. New the cheapest out there is £450.

For the C30 the AP Part Number is GF67-015. Europerformance have them for £558.62. May be cheaper elsewhere.
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...7;car=volvoc30
That picture is generic, not what they would actually look like.

There may well be other brands that suit/are popular with the Volvo fraternity at that price point or less. Don't know. My 2p.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 22:44   #6
marc
VOC Member

I've had the H&R springs on my C30 for a few years now and can't fault them. Other than the obvious lowering the ride is slightly firmer but no too harsh, ideal for my needs anyway and the looks are much improved.

If you do go for H&R, be advised that they come in 2 ratings, there is a firmer rated set for the D5/T5 as the front end is heavier than the little engines.

C30 D5 SE Lux with added Polestar!!

C30CREW.COM
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 20:50   #7
mikeyscott

Just bought a C40 D4 as a daily and been looking at B12 kit option, we’ll see as it has been bought as a pure 80 mile commuting car.

Looks nice lowered, but i’m on 18s
mikeyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 22:42   #8
marc
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
Just bought a C40 D4 as a daily and been looking at B12 kit option, we’ll see as it has been bought as a pure 80 mile commuting car.

Looks nice lowered, but i’m on 18s
It'll be fine, I'm on 18's as are many, many others.

C30 D5 SE Lux with added Polestar!!

C30CREW.COM
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marc For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 22:45   #9
mikeyscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
It'll be fine, I'm on 18's as are many, many others.
Will see what suspension is like in 10k time.

Picked it up today. However fitted a LSD to my other car or upgrading to a Cayman S.

Gone - VW Golf MK5 R32 09 : 123d E87 59 : Volvo S40 T5 Polestar 08 : Seat Leon Cupra 03 - Gone
mikeyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 11:49   #10
ricp

Thread revival - just about to do the Eibachs treatment on my C30 as the OP did.

Apart from the springs, did anyone find they needed other consumable parts? Mine has 70k on it and has been well looked after so not expecting any horrors but want to get all the bits I may need before taking apart as I have free use of a workshop and ramp but don’t want to leave a stranded car there!

Also is camber an issue on the rear when lowered or is there sufficient adjustment for alignment?

Thanks in advance. R
ricp is offline   Reply With Quote