Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 reversed in to - is this repairable?

Views : 2544

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2024, 20:49   #11
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld0595 View Post
Many thanks - that was my suspicion. At least I didn't get my hopes up!

That's my worry. It's near enough 27 years old and the bodywork wasn't in the greatest shape to start with. The interior isn't too bad, it's been spotlessly reliable, has four new tyres and even a full tank of E5.. couldn't have come at a worse time! Despite all that, I'm almost certain it'll be a write off.

Exactly my thoughts. A wing alone is £600 from Volvo, plus £400 to paint so I'm a grand in before thinking of anything else. The issue with taking it to a bodyshop is that it's undriveable at the moment thanks to the hole in the windscreen.

Thanks again all who have replied
Ah, yes, I overlooked that. In that case I would take some general photos and closeups and go with those. It wont be as good as having the car in front of them, but probably the best you can do in the circumstances.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 22:24   #12
Mint Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
absolutely not a car of that age would be classed as an instant write off and the owner would loose the car that he says he wants to keephe should get an estimate for the repair and claim the cost off the other driver

Actually getting the money off the (potentially uninsured) other driver is the challenge.
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 10:39   #13
cyclogenesis

Agree with ITSv40,

The main job here is the A pillar, which is repairable but will require a bodyshop. If that's fixed, the windscreen is a simple replacement as is the wing. Volvo still have some wings via the main dealer ( about £600) as I bought 2 recently, which are sitting in storage waiting for a trip to my local bodyshop. Skandix also sell OEM and aftermarket wings although I have no detail on the quality of the aftermarket items
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 11:24   #14
Luxobarge
Premier Member

If you repair it yourself, if it were me I'd try to get a second-hand wing from a breakers, MUCH cheaper, and as you're going to have to have paintwork done on the A pillar anyway, it doesn't really matter what colour it is, as it can be repainted at the same time. Wings just unbolt - really easy.

Try Lakes Autos, assuming they're still going? Others on here will be able to recommend other breakers, no doubt.
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 17:15   #15
Simmy
Premier Member

fiberglass wings are avalable from volvo composites .good s/h wings are very hard to find due to rust problems they all go in the same places unfortunately.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 12:57   #16
ld0595

Quote:
fiberglass wings are avalable from volvo composites .good s/h wings are very hard to find due to rust problems they all go in the same places unfortunately.
I didn't realise you could get fibreglass ones - I've been looking for a new drivers side wing for months with no luck! What's the pros / cons of fibreglass versus an OEM one? Has anyone here had experience with the fibreglass ones from there and is so what's the verdict?
ld0595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 13:00   #17
ld0595

Quote:
I didn't realise you could get fibreglass ones - I've been looking for a new drivers side wing for months with no luck! What's the pros / cons of fibreglass versus an OEM one? I understand fit and finish won't be as great but to be honest I wouldn't mind it if it means I can keep the car.

Has anyone here had experience with the fibreglass ones from there and is so what's the verdict?

As an update, I contacted my insurer who as expected suggested the car will be written off. I'm still really unsure whether I should repair it and cancel the claim. I should be able to get some money from the third party but I clearly don't want to take the **** if the repair will be £1k plus.

My estimation so far is about £875 which includes

- £125 for a fibreglass wing
- £350 for a windscreen
- £350ish painting

Plus then £?? for new trim and £?? to straighten out the A pillar - still to look into it.

Last edited by ld0595; Jan 18th, 2024 at 13:26.
The Following User Says Thank You to ld0595 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 18:38   #18
ld0595

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld0595 View Post
I didn't realise you could get fibreglass ones - I've been looking for a new drivers side wing for months with no luck! What's the pros / cons of fibreglass versus an OEM one? I understand fit and finish won't be as great but to be honest I wouldn't mind it if it means I can keep the car.

Has anyone here had experience with the fibreglass ones from there and is so what's the verdict?

As an update, I contacted my insurer who as expected suggested the car will be written off. I'm still really unsure whether I should repair it and cancel the claim. I should be able to get some money from the third party but I clearly don't want to take the **** if the repair will be £1k plus.

My estimation so far is about £875 which includes

- £125 for a fibreglass wing
- £350 for a windscreen
- £350ish painting

Plus then £?? for new trim and £?? to straighten out the A pillar - still to look into it.
I've no idea how to edit my message again - just had a body shop look at some photos and it's looking at £360 ish for the A pillar, assuming it's not structural.

Also the wing should be £175, not £125.

That's bringing up the total to £1,300ish excluding the trim. Decisions, decisions...
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 19:52   #19
ITSv40
VOC Member

Regarding editing your post: after you have posted the original post there will be an edit button appear in the bottom right corner, click on that and you can edit and save. However, that edit button only appears for a short time and then disappears, once it is gone that is it. I find it is only useful for perhaps correcting spelling or some such.

Good luck with the car, however it turns out.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 20:25   #20
Volvophile
Premier Member

The wing in your OP is definitely off a V70.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvophile For This Useful Post: