Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie Needs Advice Please.

Views : 602

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 20:32   #1
Grub

Hi All.

I am new to the site and still feeling my way around, so be gentle

I own a 240GLi estate 1989 which i love to bits, She was run down a bit when we got her ie: brakes knackered, shocks flat, and exhaust rotten (which have now all been repaired) - The only problem that remains is a mystery, There is a knocking sound which occurs occasionally from underneath, it usually occurs when pulling away or when i drop the clutch, I have checked the propshaft bolts (which is what the manual troubleshooter says could be the problem) and had a general feel and prod underneath but can't see anything untoward. The Kwik Fit guy who supplied the exhaust said it sounds like (from my description) that the trailing arm bush's have gone, which i hear is a common complaint!? - but the knock 'feels' more towards the front of the car, especially when i press the clutch. A local garage quoted me £150 if it is indeed the bush's which sounds a bit steep to me!? - So, is there a way to check if indeed the bush's need replacing, and is it a fairly simple task for a somewhat novice? (brake disc's replacing is my most adventurous task so far).

Many thanks for any advice,

All the best,
Grub.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:58   #2
Erling
VOC member

Hi Grub;
If the bushings have never been replaced, you can be quite certain that you will notice a difference. One way of checking is to get under the car with a pry bar. If you can twist the arm/axle assembly more than just a bit, the rubber is too soft (or disintegrated if very bad). Take a look at the control arm bushings too when you're at it.

An easier way is to move the steering wheel from side to side when driving (slowly!). If the rear end feels like it wants to do some steering of its own, I'd say you need new bushings.

The Haynes manual says that this is a workshop job, as replacing the TABs require a special tools. Many of us have made a copy of the tool using ordinary plumbing parts though, and done the job ourselves successfully.

If you want to see some pictures, I have put some on my 240 page:
http://home.no.net/ebrox/
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 11:22   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The hollow bushes are a real pain. £150 is very steep. If you intend to keep the car go for some poly ones you should even be able to fit them yourself with a few basic tools.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:21   #4
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling

If you want to see some pictures, I have put some on my 240 page:
http://home.no.net/ebrox/
Many thanks for the replies gents, and thanks for the Link Erling, i have added it to my favourites and no doubt will refer to it on many occasions.

Thanks.
Grub.