Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECC Sensor Thermocouple

Views : 4455

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 17:33   #1
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default ECC Sensor Thermocouple

I was asking in another post about ECC Issues (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=63988) and have managed to have the issue identified as a faulty thermocouple (the actual sensor behind the little grill) - not broken, but faulty and it has been like this since I had the car - never known till now

The fault code shows this as being the issue, but I have been quoted £509+VAT for a new ECC unit which is extortionate when all I need is the new thermocouple - or an old one that I can replace the broken one with.

Has anyone got a part number for the thermocouple, or ideas where I could get a broken ECC unit for a '04 V70 D5 SE that I could rob for the required part?

Many Thanks
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 18:02   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I think the part you need is actually listed as a 'fan' part number 8633677 or 8691666 depending on chassis no.

Try contacting Rufe for prices etc.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 19:05   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Chris,

I have looked at this part and it does not seem correct. I am looking for the 'little bit of wire' that you can see behind the grill on the ECC from panel. The fan draws the air over this wire (thermocouple).

Can you tell me who Rufe is please?

Many Thanks

Iain
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 19:44   #4
hwoods

He is everywhere! I've done search on rufe for you.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/member.php?u=10417

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/search...earchid=183498

He sells geniune parts from a geniune dealship at great prices

Last edited by hwoods; Jan 8th, 2009 at 19:47.
hwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 19:49   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Chris above is right , it is incorporated in the fan which constantly draws air over the sensor ....
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 08:43   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Clan,

I have taken the fan out and the sensor remains within the ECC unit, right behind the grill. I have also taken the fan apart, as suggested on other posts, and can confirm again that there is only a fan within that housing

Unless there is something different on the build for my car, I notice that these fans come in several different designs

I have mailed Rufe and aksed him if he can get the parts

Thanks

Iain
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 18:47   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Thats interesting , i have only changed the little fan motor and not looked at it in detail , but the 850 had it integrated so i assumed it was the same .
Are you sure the thermocouple is faulty? Has the temperature been read out from the sensor on the volvo diagnosis computer ? if it is faulty you could get a complete used module and take out the sensor for your module
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 19:28   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

The local Volvo service centre said the code was CCM 0007 and that it needs a new ECC module - I don't trust them as they were too ready to sell me the new ECC.

I am trying to locate a V70 ECC unit with not a lot of success - lots of s60, but apparently they won't work - not sure why.

Something I have done has cured the original fault and SWMBO obeyed is now kept toasty warm, and I am chasing down the real issue.

Strange thing is that when I turn the temp control to max hot, the cabin fan runs very fast, the same when i turn it to max cold, and at 22 in the middle is is hardly moving at all - this makes me think that the ECC unit is not faulty

Do you, or anyone, know a good way to test the ECC without all the computer gubbins?

Iain
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 20:03   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Found a good site that lists ALL the Volvo error codes
http://www.ppc-diagnostic.com/codes/

and it shows CCM-0007 as relating to;

CCM-0007 Passenger compartment temperature sensor. Faulty signal
CCM-0007 Temperature damper motor position sensor. Signal too high. Intermittent fault
CCM-0007 Temperature damper motor position sensor. Signal too high. Permanent fault

Assuming that the damper motor is the fan that we are talking about, it could be it that is at fault, or the sensor.

This still doesn't help as I don't have a spare fan to try - but is there someone out there who can suggest a way of idenifyingf definatively which is at fault - the fan is around £80 and the ECC is £500+VAT+Software+fitting

All suggestions welcome

Iain
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 20:07   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

The code 0007 is a faulty interior temp sensor signal and i guess as it is in the module it needs a new module , But its only a small component a couple of £ .
you could get a used module S60 or V70 and take the sensor out and replace the faulty one IF it is the sensor rather than the circuit board ..
When the sensor is faulty , the system assumes a temp of 25C interior temp thats why your controls appear to work ok .
to test you could set the ECC to say 20 C on AUTO and let it draw some hot air in from a hairdryer , the ac should start up and cool the air .. Likewise offer some very cold air from a freezer spray and it should pump out hot air ...

Tags
air con, ecc, sensor