Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my volvo 850se journal

Views : 12213

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 18:41   #71
duke1
mad mechanic

Default headlining done!

hi all well the car is done!a nice new headlining from a mk1 v70 its a sort of grey colour but fits perfect,i did have to reglue the front portion along the windscreen edge but evo stick and some of the missus clothes pegs and left overnight to proper dry seems to have done the trick nicely,the original was beige colour but as i got the handles and different colour courtesy lights along with lots of useful plastic trim retainers etc fitted to suit.
i spent a couple of hours gluing myself to various broken plastic mounts and finding certain colour plastics do not bond with superglue but bond to the main trim plastic very well,also found out it is not a good idea to use toilet tissue to wipe up spilt superglue as it starts smoking and gets nearly hot enough to ignite!
so if the car survives my birthday trackday tomorrow at goodwood i shall try remember to get pics in daylight! ps anyone here fancy helping me respray her? i can do 99% of the prep but have no compressor or garage,i could pay a little,cheers all.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 13:52   #72
duke1
mad mechanic

Default trackday fun with the 850

hi all well yesterday was spent speeding around in the old girl and apart from a new squeek i think from the ns front wheelbearings the car survived undamaged!and even though it is just a 2.5 10valve with 140bhp when new,30 yrs and 160 thousand miles later some of the horses have died but it can still be a car you can drive your granny in or drive to goodwood and tear around having a great time!its very dirty in the pics due to poor signage at the goodwood circuit i ended up driving the wrong way and ended up in a muddy field full of diggers and mud,turning around proved difficult and some wheel spins before finding some grip made it look more like a rally car!
i did take some rather poor pics of my mate steve driving my volvo,love this old car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goodwood 012.JPG (365.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg goodwood 013.jpg (232.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg goodwood 014.JPG (320.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg goodwood 015.JPG (358.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg goodwood 033.JPG (248.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg goodwood 038.JPG (307.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg goodwood 039.JPG (297.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg goodwood 040.JPG (256.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg goodwood 044.jpg (147.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg goodwood 047.JPG (283.0 KB, 11 views)
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 19:13   #73
duke1
mad mechanic

hi all i took some pics today of the old girl after much hard work and some expense but now i am happy with the car mechanically and interior all bar one panel have been cleaned and repaired all and have a clean non wet and baggy headlining for the first time in 3.5 years ownership,gone from wet floors due to heater matrix leak and wet headliner due to leaking top of the windscreen to nice clean and dry,the missus vax carpet washer and a steam cleaner removed most of the coolant stain.
i am still in the market for a bonnet and the trim as pictured and would be happy to collect and pay cash for good condition trim.
also due to the trackday showing up a sticking caliper on the n/s/f wheel i rebuilt both the original ate calipers with a new set of pistons and seals and gave a coat of vht paint,brakes are now perfect.
next up is chasing my ex boss to do the paintwork!pics for you,bless the humble volvo base.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car n stuff 002.JPG (285.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 003.JPG (265.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 004.JPG (318.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 005.JPG (359.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 006.JPG (320.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 007.JPG (381.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 008.jpg (176.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 009.JPG (354.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 010.JPG (375.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 011.jpg (186.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 012.JPG (375.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 013.JPG (389.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 014.JPG (240.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 015.JPG (292.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 016.JPG (294.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg car n stuff 017.JPG (314.8 KB, 8 views)
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 17:57   #74
duke1
mad mechanic

Default delta link time!

hi all well just to keep this up to date yesterday i got the drivers side (uk) delta link bush replaced,no special volvo tool just this old hand winch fixed to the house wall and a blowtorch from temu for £3 ,i did replace the main bolt with an expensive £12.50 each only genuine available and the other bolts m12 x 35 i used marine grade stainless steel from boltworld will last forever and if needs be come undone easy with no rust.
repainted the bracket work as it had some heavy rust,power wire brushed and several coats of matt black car paint should keep them sound.
i did break the little torx screw on the suspension arm for the handbrake cable and had to drill it out and find a nice new screw again stainless.
i found if i used the hand winch for pulling the old link as i heated it and the car has a rhino heavy duty winch i fitted for loading wheelchairs with use of a snatch block this electric winch with remote control was perfect for pulling the axle back and securing it in order for the hand winch to pull soundly on the link which i heated till the plastic bush started dripping out and then the blowtorch ran out of gas and whilst i went indoors to change it there was a loud pop and the hand winch fell over with the smoking delta link!
hard work in all honesty the hardest bit was getting the new bush to start in the hole but a dremel and taper the edges and used a luggage ratchet strap around the axle and over the end of the d link and wind it in along with tapping the rubber bit at same time,pics here of some of the work and tools i used!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ext 001.jpg (224.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ext 002.jpg (252.5 KB, 7 views)

Tags
850, 855, journal, restore