Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Putting badges on the car

Views : 1656

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2020, 02:04   #11
Bashy
Aged Member

If it was me doing it, get the positioning from another car, then masking up straight edges, i would then tape right over the front of the badge, then pull off the backing and slap it on the car, removing the tape from the front carefully to finish.

Having said that, you probably shouldn't listen to me, heck, I shouldn't listen to me, the amount of times I say that to myself after the event is unreal........
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 15:31   #12
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Thanks all for input, just saw all the newer comments now, but badges are on the car now anyway
I ended up using degreaser to clean the area and then measured distance from top and bottom using V50 badge as reference. Then compared pic from another T5AWD so eneded up almost 100% perfect with stock position.
I say "almost" as being ignorant in this area I trusted that factory packed badges (that are infact separate letters on transport film) are alligned properly, but noticed just after applying that "W" was misalligned and came up too high
ugh, did full halo refit on my bixenons day before without even flinch but I failed on applying letters... :/

still - looks OK anyway, I think?...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg awd2.JPG (99.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg awd1.JPG (191.4 KB, 40 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 22:14   #13
Markos01

Oh f*ck, that’s so unlucky on the W being set wrong on the film!! I’d want to fix that: can you send a pic or show your dealer and ask for another set free of charge?? I reapplied the 325i badge to my current car and the ‘i’ looks a fraction high even though they too came set on clear film... it bugs me every time I see it!
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 08:59   #14
Welton
Premier Member

Sorry Lizard but that W has sent my OCD into meltdown.....I'm getting a flight to IRL this afternoon to sort it out for you!
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 09:12   #15
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Sorry Lizard but that W has sent my OCD into meltdown.....I'm getting a flight to IRL this afternoon to sort it out for you!
I'll be on that flight with you! Much as it would annoy me I'd fork out another £30 on another badge set and them them off.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 10:36   #16
LizardOfBodom

hehe, I see you all have similar thoughts to me bit OCD myself so I keep cringing any time I see it, keep thinking if to not try to peel it off and re-glue with something , really not wanna be buying another (and cant prove to dealer it was wrong, obv they will laugh at me).
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 10:25   #17
Welton
Premier Member

I bet if you bought another badge one of the letter's would be off again!

I reckon I'd carefully 'fishing wire' that W off and get some clear non-setting adhesive to set it level with the A & D - if it goes wrong then buy another badge!

I await your response, in the meantime I assure you of my closest attention at all times
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 12:46   #18
AndrasL

You could just remove the W with fishing line and then apply some double sided 3M tape to it.
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrasL For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 15:28   #19
LizardOfBodom

Lol, I feel pressured ;D
not a bad idea though, if I get really annoyed by the positioning will try to reapply W before getting new badge, as you said nothing to loose. Just need to find good adhesive for reattachment....
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 20:41   #20
Ashtons99

The approach I take is to machine polish the badge area.....you wont be able to do it again once badges are on. Then de grease with IPA or brake cleaner.

Then put some warm water in a spray bottle with just a drop of washing up liquid.

Spray it onto the area you want the badge, it allows you to “float” the badge or any similar decal and avoids you getting it wrong and bring literally stuck with it. Once happy press the badge into place and warm with a hair drier, pressing as you do.

Works perfectly every time

Also if you haven’t seen this stuff before it’s great for applying old badges. You make sure all old adhesive is removed. Then press the badge onto the adhesive film, then pull the badge off the film, it only removes the adhesive to the profile of the badge. Off you go and stick it where you want it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281034401596

Last edited by Ashtons99; Sep 18th, 2020 at 20:48.
Ashtons99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashtons99 For This Useful Post: