Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox Oil filler/level plug

Views : 671

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 18:50   #1
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default Gearbox Oil filler/level plug

Thought it would be a good idea to check the gearbox oil level today. (240GLT M47 box)
However, not so good to find that someone had butchered the oil filler/level plug. It has no hexagon to speak of, faint signs that there might have been a hex there at some time. Tried hammering the tightest socket I could on, but no joy, just rounds off. Tried, the awful mole grips, no joy, tried even the old real butchers trick with hammer and blunt chisel to try to shock it round. Still no joy.

Anyone have any ideas, apart from welding a bar on the remains?
Can you get new plugs?

Alec
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 20:33   #2
ivor940
Master Member

Hi Alex. If you have a gas blow lamp ( and no fuel leaks ), try slightly heating the aluminium gearbox area around the filler plug. As aluminium has a greater coeficient of expansion than the steel plug, the plug should loosen when the aluminium is hot. If I recall someone mentioned before about always checking the fill plug on a gearbox is checked for looseness before draining the oil out. Hope you are sucessful. If you need it and it will fit, I can send you a fill plug from a '92 4 speed + O/D gearbox ( just e-mail me with snail mail address)

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 21:49   #3
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Depending on how much is still exposed - can you get a pipe wrench on it, also referred to as a 'stillson wrench' IIRC, these tighten as angular force is applied, and have sharp teeth in the jaws to bite into whatever it is they are applied to.

They will chew up any thread on the plug but it sounds like you are down to 'last resorts' and will replace the plug anyway.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 22:06   #4
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Tried that too, gave up before I chewed everything off the plug and had nothing left to weld a bar to!!

Will get a mate to weld something on the dying remains of the plug tomorrow I hope!
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:16   #5
morsing
Premier Member

Surely a pipe wrench will get it off?! Still nothing I've come across that a pipe wrench couldn't get off. I even use it on brake lines
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 14:16   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

On rounded-off nuts etc I've often found it a good idea to stop and file or grind some new flats, to take a smaller size spanner or a wrench. Filler plugs often have quite a lot of thread protruding from the casing, with the squared off bit just a pimple on the end. if you file two parallel flats well into the threaded section, can't you use a hefty wrench on that?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 18:20   #7
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope
On rounded-off nuts etc I've often found it a good idea to stop and file or grind some new flats, to take a smaller size spanner or a wrench. Filler plugs often have quite a lot of thread protruding from the casing, with the squared off bit just a pimple on the end. if you file two parallel flats well into the threaded section, can't you use a hefty wrench on that?
Problem is that this is a collared plug, not the usual threaded sort. Hex top, collar with washer/seal underneath, then the threaded bit. If it had thread stickling out, I'd just butcher it with a stillson, but being collared, I dont want to damage the mating face on the gearbox.
Will wait for my tame welder to weld a bar on the remains, see if that shifts it!

I had enough of drilling wasted studs out of steam valves this weekend, then retapping the holes. Pah! Thought I was going to have to resort to putting a stepped stud in at one point, but found just enough sound metal to get a decent thread by drilling a bit deeper! Now to see if it leaks, next weekend!