Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Random windscreen wiper action !

Views : 548

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 22:56   #1
jacksonb123

Default Random windscreen wiper action !

I took the passenger side headlight wiper motor out today, did the drivers side a while ago, just to get rid of them. While I was doing it I disconnected the battery and then connected it again once I'd unplugged the wiper motor connector and removed its earth? lead under the coolant reservoir.

When I'd finished I turned the key to the second click, where all the dash lights come on but did'nt turn the engine over, bizarrely all the wipers came on !

I had a fiddle around and there seemed to be some correlation with the drivers side headlight and indicator being weaker than they should be then after a while the headlight/indicator suddenly brightened up and the wiper issue went away. Did the same again a couple more times, turned on the electrics waited 10 seconds and the wipers came on all by themselves. I was half expecting the doors to fly off in a Circus car stylee
but then took it for a spin and all seems well.

Anyone else seen something like this ? I'm presuming I've just annoyed some 15 year old wiring and it threw a strop for a short while.

If it happens while I'm out is there a fuse I can remove to disable the windscreen wipers temporarily ?

Regards

Ben
jacksonb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 01:21   #2
swedish brick

Only ever seen similar on my capri, all I did was switch on the engine and for some unknown reason the wipers switched themselves on! I didnt touch anything! Its not done it before or since then.
I assumed it was damp in the circuit somewhere?!
swedish brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 02:01   #3
xraytj

This happened to me once, for no apparent reason. I turned off the car, unplugged the wiper motor connector, cleaned it, re-connected it, and it hasn't happened since. Strange, indeed. Makes one s, doesn't it?
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 09:50   #4
jacksonb123

Hey, so at least I'm not the only one xraytj.

Where is the connecter that feeds power to the windscreen wipers ? I think it will be a good idea for me to look at this & clean it.

Similarly I can disconnect it if the wipers go crazy again.

Regards

Ben
jacksonb123 is offline   Reply With Quote