Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B21A in a tow car

Views : 699

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 13:09   #1
paul4be

Default B21A in a tow car

My 240 has a B21A. Runs really well and pulls well for a B21A (better than I expected). It has an M47 5 speed.

Anyway, we are looking into getting a trailer tent. Will a B21A be up to the job of pulling a trailer tent whilst car is fully loaded as well? I realise it would be under the max towing weight etc, but will it cope ok in the real world, or will it be so slow that it becomes a problem on the road? (Don't want to be creaping along the inside lane at 45!!!!!!).

Still trying to decide whether to go for a bigger motor or not.

Have a V cam waiting to go in (still) and intend to fit a skimmed 531 if I keep the car, as another option.
paul4be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 14:05   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I would think that your 240 should be able to tow a trailer tent.
Given the weight of the trailer is 1200 or less, shouldn't be an issue.

May be worth having a look in the Towing Forum for some further info..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 14:52   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Trailer tent no problem. Weight well under limit, plus low profile means that air resistance will be reasonable too.
No doubt will tow happily at the legal limit.
Only problem I ever had with low profile trailers was seeing if they were still attached! In a straight line, mine vanishes from the rear view mirror, so I attach a broom handle with a flag (!Sad!) to the trailer, just so I can make sure its still there (Other motorists seem to object to weaving over the raod to see it in the wing mirrors!)
Also, I found that small trailers are MUCH worse to reverse than a big caravan, again because you can't see enough of them in the rear view or side mirrors.
Happy towing.

Alec
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 00:02   #4
molening

Default 240 will pull most things

I tow with a B200F engined 240 which when I don't have the head in bits (se earlier post) performs verry well.
Large trailers are not a problem and the only problem I had with a large caravan I borrowed earlier this year was when I hit a gale force head wind, the caravan weighed 1600kg unladen.
It will pull another 240 on a trailer, the trailer weighs 750kg so that one is over 2 tonne.
I pulled a trailer tent (made by combi camp) earlier this year and you didn't really feel it on the back.

Regards
molening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 08:46   #5
paul4be

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Shouldn't be a problem then.
paul4be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 16:53   #6
wagoneer

I've just bought a Conway Corniche trailer tent. All up weight is about 460kg on the trailer and my 2ltr copes OK. To get round the visability issue I'm whacking a reversing camera on the car, although this will only really be handy on the road as it's just as easy to unhitch the tent and push it round yourself on site.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 21:12   #7
barrie013

I've done quite a bit of trailer tent towing, and the smallest car I used, as far as I can remember, was a 1300 Astra estate,which coped without any problem.
As trailer tents are so light, the great advantage is that you can load them (safely of course) quite high, as long as the stuff you put on the top is light in weight. I would load the heavier stuff into the base of the trailer, put the cover on, then put things like bedding, groundsheet and anything else not too heavy on top of that, and cover it all with a tarpaulin. This saved some space inside the car, and meant that I didn't need a flag on a broomstick.(Please insert mother-in-law jokes here)
barrie013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:41   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The B21A is quite good for towing as it is quite a torquey engine. Back in the days when these were newish many were used for towing horseboxes and I have happily towed a caravan and car trailers with no problem.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote