Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Torque reaction stabilizer

Views : 655

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 14:52   #1
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default Torque reaction stabilizer

I seem to remember from my dim and distant youth that my Morris Minor had a torque reaction rd = engine stabiliser running from one of the head bolts, or rocker cover bolts to a 'strong point' somewhere in the engine bay.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing being fitted to a 240, home made or otherwise, to dampen down the power to overrun rock? Engine mounts are OK, but it does seem to rock, also on power take up after a slow corner (not that I have many slow corners!).

Alec
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 17:07   #2
Ben O Brien

Every 240 ive ever seen has done this, especially at idle, my B23 with twin dellortos is unbelievable, it rocks the whole car quite vigourously at its idle which is 1200 rpm! The engine mounts are fine its the torque thats doing it, it would be no harm to make up a couple of top mounts like what the 70 series and 850's have so we can try them out..

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 21:07   #3
barrie013

I can't remember MMs having them, but Minis certainly did. Wasn't it something to do with the fact that they had a 'turned round' rwd engine in them, and it was the infancy of transverse engines ? I would think that the USA sites would be a good place to look for ideas, with the torque that some of those monster V8s push out...there might even be a universal kit.
barrie013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 22:21   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

If you visit www.turbobricks.com you will find all sorts of ideas people have used. Just put a search in for engine mounts! There is quite a lot to trawl through.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 16:03   #5
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Thanks Mike, I had a good look round that site, and found quite a bit of information, some of which confirmed my own suspicions, like the bloke who attached an engine stabiliser from the left side wheel arch to the Inlet Manifold!! Ended up with a cracked, disintigrated manifold. I had already looked at the manifold, and had come to my own conclusion that it was far, far too flimsy to attach anything to, let alone ask it to take any real loading. It actually seems to be a very lightweight casting indeed.

I've noticed a couple of ready tapped holes, spare, on the right hand side of the cylinder head just in front of the exhaust manifold, look to be about m10 to m12, (I'll have to get a bolt to check). These look as if they might be a much stronger pooint to attach anything to, so now I'm looking at a stainless steel adjustable bottle screw (Yacht chandlers type) and a couple of rubber shock mounts, one for the head (if they will take the head temperature,) and one to mount on the insdie of the thick steel section front suspension turret, somewhere that is sufficiently accessible to get a bolt through from inside the turret, to mount the 'other end' shiock mount on. Using bottle screw means that the thing will be length adjustable, so I can set the length right with the engine in its 'normal' static position.
Just need to sort out a couple of shock mounts now, might try one of the engineering component suppliers for that, What I need is something aboiut the size of the fuel injection air flow sensor mounts, but at £20 a time from Volvo, I'm going to see if I can find something 'generic' at a more suitable price!!

First priority is change the cambelt tho. Other things can wait. New genuine Volvo cambelt £9.85 from dealer, with VoC discount. Aftermarket cambelt from Hellifords I was quoted at £9.50.........not really worth 0.35p to go for a cheapie is it!!
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 17:05   #6
Peter D
Peter D

If you use a tie rod so far forward you will cause the engine to twist in its mounts and cause more of a problem and strain the gearbox rear mount as the engine tries to wag its tail. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 17:48   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but mightn't it be better to look at heaVY-duty engine and gearbox mounts?
I do vaguely remember once looking at someone's Morris Minor set-up, and from memory I think the stabiliser was to hold the engine in a fore and aft direction to stop the fan hitting the radiator under hard braking.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 22:06   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The 240 Volvo diesel mounts are the normal upgrade. I have used poly bushes on mine.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote