Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I'm taking a 240GLT...

Views : 666

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 06:53   #1
Tim_B

For a lengthy pan-European Jaunt....on the Czechwrecks rally www.czechwrecks.com...at the end of next month (big thanks to arcticoceans for selling us his car!). 2000 miles across 6 countries... including a trip over the infamous Stelvio Pass..

Now I've driven a few 240's in my time, but my questions are:-

What's most likely to go wrong?
What prep would you recommend? (It's got good tyres, recent oil change service, recent cambelt)
Which spare parts would you recommend I take (over and above radweld/exhaust putty/wd40/tools/jubilee clips/wire/gaffer tape)

Thanks!

It's a 1989 GLT Auto, 115k

Cheers
Tim
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 09:30   #2
barrie013

Some type of spare fanbelt ?
Good luck...I wish I was going...
barrie013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 21:25   #3
chris m

Probably check the spark plugs, dizzy cap and rotor, air filter and maybe change the fuel filter at that milage. And being an automatic have an eye on your brakepads/discs.

But that trip shouldn't be a problem for a well maintained 240 at all. I did several high speed miles on the german Autobahn with my 240 and even crossed the Alps to Italy without any trouble (and any spare part).

Best of luck and enjoy your trip, Chris
chris m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 08:25   #4
Tim_B

Thanks Chris.

A couple of other posts have mentioned the auto inhibitor switch and a 'flame trap' (I think it was) - do I need to do anything about/worry about those?

Thanks
Tim
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:20   #5
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Auto inhibitor switches only rarely give problems - they are easily bypassed if the fail. There is a connector on the lhs of the centre console which can be unplugged and a loop wire used to bypass it. Indeed if you find a scrap manual it will have a loop fitted in a connector at this point which you could carry with you. I would recommend changing the oil and tranny filter in the auto box before going.
Regards flame trap - just check it is clear - they only seem to cause problems on neglected or ired engines.
The other thing I would do is check condition of hoses especially the heater hoses especially where theyare hidden under the manifold. Also check the radiator looks in good condition with all the fins present- if they are starting to corrode I'd be looking at replacing it.
My experience is that cooling susytem is the one area most likely to bring you to a halt if not in good condition. Most other parts seem to go on quite a while before they will strand you.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote