Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM Watch dog

Views : 2269

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 22:03   #1
djgeoff
Middle Aged Member

Smile ETM Watch dog

my mate next door popped round to tell me that watchdog tv proggy has just been on about the etm failures. he said he caught the tail end of it and said that watch dog is saying volvo uk is now doing upgrade / replacement of the faulty etms. is this correct? as i did not see program myself
cheers geoff
djgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 22:12   #2
Okete

Smile Volvo ETM

Hi Geoff,

Yes, that is correct.
Check out VPCUK - http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15876

Cheers,
John.
Okete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 22:12   #3
Viper_7
Premier Member

Do a search! it's already been brought up.
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 13:45   #4
djgeoff
Middle Aged Member

Cool Etm

[QUOTE=djgeoff;176644]my mate next door popped round to tell me that watchdog tv proggy has just been on about the etm failures. he said he caught the tail end of it and said that watch dog is saying volvo uk is now doing upgrade / replacement of the faulty etms. is this correct? as i did not see program myself
cheers geoff

just for your info went to volvo at tolbar in coventry, acted dumb ( no comments please your prob correct), asked if my car was one of those volvo are recalling according to watch dog program. he asked for car details got out some 3 page letter ( which i only could read header) seemed to be from volvo uk then said yes yours seems to be on the list when do u want it booked in? tomorrow? friday?, i said next week no rush. i also asked him was is this all about. he said oh its really all to do with america but we are upgrading here. oh i said, upgrading what? he said well we do a software upgrade and clean out and set some feelers in the etm module. i siad is that something to do with the throttle then, he said yes.
he also said i wont notice any differance.......... um, will wait and see hey.
my car is not showing signs of problems mentioned in previous threads or at least i dont think so, there was one day i was stuck in traffic jam for 1 hr to cover quater mile and the engine suddenly started to drop revs as though it was gonna cut out then it just bounced the ol rev counter needle up and down and i was not doing a thing.

any way will wait and see........ keep u posted
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 14:00   #5
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Hi Geoff, i phoned Volvo Triangle today and they said mine wasn't on the list lol, i said well i think it is as mine is a 99 me7 car, anyway it is booked in on Monday at 1030, and my car the revs are bouncing 50 rpm at idle,

Gary,

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 18:41   #6
djgeoff
Middle Aged Member

Smile Etm

[QUOTE=djgeoff;176834][QUOTE=djgeoff;176644]my mate next door popped round to tell me that watchdog tv proggy has just been on about the etm failures. he said he caught the tail end of it and said that watch dog is saying volvo uk is now doing upgrade / replacement of the faulty etms. is this correct? as i did not see program myself
cheers geoff

just for your info went to volvo at tolbar in coventry, acted dumb ( no comments please your prob correct), asked if my car was one of those volvo are recalling according to watch dog program. he asked for car details got out some 3 page letter ( which i only could read header) seemed to be from volvo uk then said yes yours seems to be on the list when do u want it booked in? tomorrow? friday?, i said next week no rush. i also asked him was is this all about. he said oh its really all to do with america but we are upgrading here. oh i said, upgrading what? he said well we do a software upgrade and clean out and set some feelers in the etm module. i siad is that something to do with the throttle then, he said yes.
he also said i wont notice any differance.......... um, will wait and see hey.
my car is not showing signs of problems mentioned in previous threads or at least i dont think so, there was one day i was stuck in traffic jam for 1 hr to cover quater mile and the engine suddenly started to drop revs as though it was gonna cut out then it just bounced the ol rev counter needle up and down and i was not doing a thing.

any way will wait and see........ keep u posted

sorry to keep adding to this but after chat with mate i contacted Volvo tolbar Coventry again just to confirm what they are going to do next week.
i was told they WILL NOT BE REPLACING ETM, they will only be doing upgrades (etc as described in my previous quote) on all cars that require it with no charge irrespective of mileage or age. but (HERE COMES THE CRUNCH)
but they would not guarantee the ETM would not give problems in the future. in the event it did they will replace with a goodwill gesture discount to the customer. i asked how much is it to replace? i was quoted £650, I then asked asked how much would Volvo's goodwill gesture be? reply was it depends on the age and or mileage. but they will not offer this goodwill gesture on cars over 10yrs old or have done more than 200k.
so i said well Volvo are changing them in the states, he said well that a different country, so what i replied with its still a Volvo where ever it is and they all could have this faulty etm. to that i got well this is what Volvo UK are doing.......... and you have been misinformed, in future Mr ..... i would suggest you contact us for information you dont what to believe everything you hear.................... um i wonder. i think i will let them do the upgrade then send letter informing them i will hold them responsible if anything should happen in the future ( with advise from solicitor first), should get 12 months on the work they intend to do anyway.