Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying an 850R T5R Your Help Please

Views : 796

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 19:41   #1
London Buyer

Default Buying an 850R T5R Your Help Please

Evening all, I'm new to the forum,

Having just had our first child we need an estate a.s.a.p. so the 2000 BMW 520Ise E39 has to go.

My first and only thought has been an 850R or T5R or maybe at a push V70R AWD.

What is the difference by the way between 850R and T5R???

I'm looking for a auto estate (yes I know the manual will be quicker etc.. but living in London it makes no odds)

What should I look out for when buying one i.e. turbo, gearbox, rattle this rattle that etc..

Autotrader recons a max of £8,500 for the 1997 from a dealer.

All and any help very much welcome.

Cheers

Ben
London Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 21:33   #2
cootuk
Premier Member

Default RE: Buying an 850R T5R Your Help Please

Any particular reason why it has to be a turbo?
If you're buying from a dealer, then how about a trip to Phil Whittacker (www.pwcars.co.uk) who can fill you in on all the foibles and sell you a really decent one...any other good dealers round London who have a reputation to maintain?
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 23:05   #3
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

You'll find much information through a search on this and the Performance forums; when you've done that, ask for any specific info.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 00:05   #4
Al115
Premier Member

I would have thought that the T5s / Rs would be a big step up in performance from the 520. The turbo models are definitely more expensive to run, in terms of fuel (obviously) and parts (more so than you might expect).

Alastair
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 14:57   #5
sholtby
Premier Member

Ben,

Firstly read the previous topic below this one called 'History on 850R' for differences between the 850R and T5R.

Avoid the AWD cars as the 4 wheel drive system isnt all that reliable on them.

I prefer manual cars for several reasons but mostly because they are more reliable but I take exception in your case if most of the driving is done in London.

The 20v turbo is a great engine. It is smooth, powerfull, reliable and relatively easy to work on. It has been said many times on this site that the turbo engines are no less economical that the other petrol engines often returning over 27 mpg as my car does. There are guys with 2 litre cars who only get just over 20 mpg.
Do a search of this site for things to look out for but oil leaks can be a headache if the crankshaft seal has failed. If you buy an auto make sure it changes and operates smoothly.
Make sure the bulb from the engine check light has not been removed. It should come on with the ignition and go off after the engine has started.
Budget on changing the cambelt after you buy the car.

I personally dont thing the T5R or 850R are worth the extra money over a standard T5. If I was you I would look for as late a model V70 T5 as you can afford (which has the 850R engine fitted anyway!) and if 250 bhp isnt enough for you consider getting it chipped.
I've owned several makes of cars and am very impressed with my 850 T5. I think you will find it much more fun to drive than your BMW.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 14:25   #6
London Buyer

Thanks for the advice.

The 520 is the family car, my weekend transport is an Nissan Pulsar GTIR it currently produces about 310 BHP (Powerstation RR) with the 4X4 and the uprated clutch the 0-60 launch is about 4.2 sec.

I just need something fun which fits the family.

Cheers

B
London Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 14:41   #7
dan_burdock

Why not buy mine 850T5R estate, cream yellow, AUTO totaly orginal, in mint condition. 78,000. 2 owners from new including myself, bought from main dealer full volvo service history. New CAT, plugs, all belts changed just had MOT. Cat 1 clifford alarm installed.

email dan_burdock@yahoo.co.uk
dan_burdock is offline   Reply With Quote