Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyres for 2002 XC70, mismatched brand and tread

Views : 4482

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2014, 20:12   #11
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCnewbie View Post
Although from what I've read on these forums, the pre-2000 P1 vehicles were viscous coupled and very fussy on tyres. The P2 to about 2004 were still fussy but not as much. Only the later 2004 ones were clear of the problem as they used a different AWD mechanism.
Nope, sorry
Pre 2003 cars are viscous and are very fussy about tyres, and that bulletin covers these cars.
'03 to '05 cars have a Haldex unit and are much less fussy, '55 on cars have an updated Haldex which is as unfussy as the '05 cars but transfers the power to the rear quicker.
P3 XC70 and all the newer models have a different and tougher angle gear and an uprated Haldex which can handle more torque. Unfortunately it will not all bolt on the earlier cars....
Even though the Haldex will allow mixed wear rates front to rear, they still do not like mixed makes of tyre. A lot of us with Haldex cars still buy four and swap around just to be sure. That angle gear is around a grand....

The best option for a pre '03 car are four good quality tyres and swap them around every 5000 miles. Next best is four cheaper tyres and swap around etc.....
Any other option is taking a big risk with an expensive angle gear.

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 19:54   #12
A lex
Premier Member

Haldex 3 (not so sure about 2) will allow for up to 4mm difference rolling radius front to back (not sure about side to side).

Thats published on the Borg Warner website.

You can use sites found via google to calculate your rolling radii - a 4mm rr differnce is a LOT, so dont worry too much H3 owners!
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 20:32   #13
pacman67
VOC Member

Is page 8 of the bullitin saying the car becomes front wheel drive only above 30mph, if so does the viscous then able to put rear power down if required ?
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 21:30   #14
nickbw898

Cannot understand why anyone is running an XC and then being stingy about spending money on tyres. No matter what you are driving it is only the tyre footprint (and your brakes) between here and eternity!

I found Scorpian STRs were average, never got to try them in snow but I know they perform fairly well. For me I found them unnerving in the wet, didn't really shift water and they were not confidence inspiring when cornering in the wet. I have now started using Nokian Line for Summerbetter low rolling resistance, fantastic water shifting and quieter, and Gislaved Nord Frost for Winter. 225x60x16 98V is best ride but 235x60x16 is also OK.
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 22:31   #15
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbw898 View Post
225x60x16 98V is best ride but 235x60x16 is also OK.
I hope you told the insurance company

I ran on Hankook 235 60 (225 is a smaller diameter tyre) for a couple of years and I noticed a massive improvement in grip, wet and dry, over the Scorpions. What I didn't like was the £70 extra on the insurance for non standard tyres.
That plus a doubling of price for the rubber made me go back to the Scorpions, and slow down a bit.

Nokian Line wasn't available in stock size back then....

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote