Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ex police v70 t6

Views : 3314

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2014, 21:33   #1
peter burton

Default Ex police v70 t6

What is everyones opinion of an expolice V70 T6.2009 with 170000 odd miles.£5000 one on at £4000.I have full NCD am 49 years old so insurance no problem.It would do very little mileage.Not worried about fuel consumption as I had a 760 that had been tuned and did 17mpg.I do odd trips to London and my present 940 diesel is no good for overtaking on B roads.I am sure 290 odd horse power be enough plus 4wdrive but I would like to know how easy it is to up horsepower of one.Cheap road tax as expolice also.
peter burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 23:31   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

If you "would do very little mileage" and then subsequently end up with a horrendously big bill due to a lurking/impending fault which I would imagine on balance there is a strong possibility of with a vehicle such as you describe, IMHO perhaps there is an alternative which may prove to be less risky ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 00:03   #3
Orca2
I've Been Banned

They look very appealing, and I came within a gnats chuff of buying one a while back , but have read since that the gearbox is not really capable of handling the torque so if yiu hoof it much , and you will , it could get expensive. The cops don't have to pay for the repairs, if you break it you get to pay. I would have a check online before you commit.
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 01:35   #4
Tony500
Master Member

One thing I would say..... get it checked over!
Dad bought an ex police car... same car same miles ect. Brilliant condition but when he brought it home I seen the top engine mount burst, oil leak from the rocker cover and now the power steering has went bust!

For the price he got it, its still a steal if your not horrified by the mileage! Still sound new and looks new for a 2009 plate car.Half leather, sat nav ect, comfy to drive... He is sitting around 29mpg and has been driving like my granny.

Most ex police cars you can knock money off If you know your cars you know what to expect with a car thats been driven like its been stolen trying to catch the baddies :P
Tony500 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony500 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 11:11   #5
keithC70

If you're looking for one of these they often go at Brightwells auction in Leominster. The last one, within the last month;

2009 59 Volvo V70 Estate T6 S 5dr Auto
172806 miles warranted, Blue, 27 Services, One Owner, V5 here, Indemnity 7.5% Minimum £225 +Vat, Vat Qualifying, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, Roof Rails, Cd Player, Sold As Seen, Inc VAT,
Direct from Police,

£2,500

I've seen them go a lot cheaper so I suspect this one was unmarked!
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 13:15   #6
peter burton

Default My god.I must look up online to see

I can see the dealers still make a slice if that is what they go for.I will try to look up online or register with them if I can for entries.Cheers
peter burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 13:29   #7
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Chances are plod would've replaced the gearbox at least once in it's life with those miles so that'll most likely be ok.

They're 305bhp ish.

They're harder to map due to the pincode thingy but that's not to say it can't be done.

I doubt you'd want to tune it once you've driven it for a while tho.
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 10:41   #8
Mds chauffeur

I Bought an ANPR Interceptor Motorway VolvoV70 59 plated T6 from Cambridgeshire Traffic Police in Late april this Year, awesome car, needed a good clean and odd small repairs and trim replacements but a very good buy.
Stupidly quick and I actually bought it as a Chauffeur car for my Company and my Passengers love it, as I drive it respectfully I average 36-37mpg on Motorways and app 32mpg on town work.
Flew through its MOT and The Chauffeur Test we have to have and the Inspector commented on the Underside how clean it was and that it had New brakes, suspension not long before they Decommisioned the Car.
It had 141000 miles when I purchased it and now showing 162000 Miles since April.
I'd definitely buy another Ex Police vehicle again and im on the Look out for the Missus new car from the Police for her Next one.
Mds chauffeur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mds chauffeur For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 22:07   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

I would expect you to be lucky to get into the low 20's.

I heard stories in Police use that they sometimes struggled to get into double figures with 12 mpg being a good average!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 18:14   #10
Mds chauffeur

Just to reply to the Message the Police are lucky to get 12mpg and upto in the Low 20's MPG, well I drive my T6 Ex Plod car sensibly and get around 31/32 around town and 34/37 on Motorways.
Obviously the Police drive them differently so the Mpg will be a lot Lower.
Mds chauffeur is offline   Reply With Quote