Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wrong driveshaft

Views : 714

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2019, 08:42   #1
kielson

Default Wrong driveshaft

Hi all!

Unfortunately, I'm forced to replace the whole driveshaft but it seems I can't get the correct one.

I have ordered one from a shop, took it to my local garage and then surprisingly I was told that it doesn't fit. Reluctantly I've agreed for the garage to order one for me and the same thing happened, it doesn't fit.

The mechanic is saying that the shaft should be without the silver ring/sensor and the two that we ordered came with the ring.

Both of us placed the order using the reg numbers search.

Could you help me out to order the correct one, please?

My v70 was first registered on September 07, MK3, d5244t5, SV57 UBY
kielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 10:53   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielson View Post
Hi all!

Unfortunately, I'm forced to replace the whole driveshaft but it seems I can't get the correct one.

I have ordered one from a shop, took it to my local garage and then surprisingly I was told that it doesn't fit. Reluctantly I've agreed for the garage to order one for me and the same thing happened, it doesn't fit.

The mechanic is saying that the shaft should be without the silver ring/sensor and the two that we ordered came with the ring.

Both of us placed the order using the reg numbers search.

Could you help me out to order the correct one, please?

My v70 was first registered on September 07, MK3, d5244t5, SV57 UBY
This has been the case for the last 40 years with non manufacturer's parts .. Order from your volvo dealer , right first time , fits perfectly and lasts another 20 years :-) Not sure why yours has failed so soon ..
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 11:14   #3
tonys1966

Default volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
This has been the case for the last 40 years with non manufacturer's parts .. Order from your volvo dealer , right first time , fits perfectly and lasts another 20 years :-) Not sure why yours has failed so soon ..
hmm-not sure about that-they[volvo] sold me a handbrake cable that was too short for my 740...once i had tried numerous times to fit-doubting myself they ordered another and it was longer-no apologies,zilch said it must have been the end of a cable
i ordered genuine belts/tensioners from volvo supplier online for my current xc70 d5-was a real struggle to get aux belt on-super tight,fitted hundreds of them to various cars,none quite as tight as this,now it seems i may have been sent wrong belt for that too as it has been lengthened a bit

moral-even volvo dealers get it wrong...
tonys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonys1966 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 13:10   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys1966 View Post
hmm-not sure about that-they[volvo] sold me a handbrake cable that was too short for my 740...once i had tried numerous times to fit-doubting myself they ordered another and it was longer-no apologies,zilch said it must have been the end of a cable
i ordered genuine belts/tensioners from volvo supplier online for my current xc70 d5-was a real struggle to get aux belt on-super tight,fitted hundreds of them to various cars,none quite as tight as this,now it seems i may have been sent wrong belt for that too as it has been lengthened a bit

moral-even volvo dealers get it wrong...
That indicates that you may not have had the last recall done for the aux belt tensioner , The hydraulic tensioner must be replaced by the Mechanical one , this needs the cylinder block modifying , this tensioner will needs a belt of a different length . I would check that all the aux tensioner recalls have been done .
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 13:35   #5
tonys1966

Quote:
That indicates that you may not have had the last recall done for the aux belt tensioner , The hydraulic tensioner must be replaced by the Mechanical one , this needs the cylinder block modifying , this tensioner will needs a belt of a different length . I would check that all the aux tensioner recalls have been done .
it was a mechanical one i removed...replaced with new genuine belt and same tensioner
its ex police,aux belt had been on for far more than recommended milage,as had cambelt as it has pretty comprehensive history am not sure if i was supplied correct replacement belt though
-one of reasons being it has worn all its writing off by 1 to 2k of fitting it...
old belt looked ok untill removed then loads splits visible-cam belt/tensioner would have done another long turn

Last edited by tonys1966; Jun 4th, 2019 at 13:37.
tonys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 17:39   #6
kielson

Quote:
This has been the case for the last 40 years with nonmanufacturer's parts .. Order from your Volvo dealer, right first time, fits perfectly and lasts another 20 years :-) Not sure why yours has failed so soon ..
Original part and the labor will definitely exceed my budget and will reach significant % of the overall car value. The car was driving fine before dropping it to the garage, just a little bit of griding noize while accelerating. The mechanic is claiming now, that the car can't be put back to a previous condition as things are "falling out". It's really hard for me to believe in that... I've seen the bearings and they are worn but not shuttered. Just having a weird impression that the guy is trying to rip me off. Anyone can advise me on how to get the correct shaft with a reasonable price tag?

Last edited by kielson; Jun 4th, 2019 at 17:44.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 19:49   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielson View Post
Original part and the labor will definitely exceed my budget and will reach significant % of the overall car value. The car was driving fine before dropping it to the garage, just a little bit of griding noize while accelerating. The mechanic is claiming now, that the car can't be put back to a previous condition as things are "falling out". It's really hard for me to believe in that... I've seen the bearings and they are worn but not shuttered. Just having a weird impression that the guy is trying to rip me off. Anyone can advise me on how to get the correct shaft with a reasonable price tag?
remember the value of the car is only considered if you plan to sell it .

They have pulled the inner driveshaft apart " by accident" if they are clever they can reassemble it ...
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 23:23   #8
37 RUBY
Master Member

Whilst Clan is correct with regards first time fit Volvo parts there is another way which is to have the original driveshaft sent to a reputable driveshaft reconditioning company. It may be that once they have your unit with them that they can accurately match for one from stock lessening your down time. A good garage or motor factors can sort this.

I only made a quick check of the t'interweb and found quite a few companies...here's just one
http://www.shaftec.com/Products.aspx
Ive never used this company so I'm not endorsing them, it's just an example of what's out there.

That said if you can afford a new unit then divide the cost including labour by twelve months and you suddenly find its not that bad...will be cheaper than buying a new car and at least you know your own cars history.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 09:03   #9
kielson

Quote:
remember the value of the car is only considered if you plan to sell it .

They have pulled the inner driveshaft apart " by accident" if they are clever they can reassemble it ...
That's precisely the point. I'm a Londoner and I live in Ultra Low Emission Zone catchment area that will kick in in 2020, so the car will only stay for another year. Additionally, I only drive occasionally plus once a year, long holiday motorway trip. Considering that I can't justify paying 400£+ price tag.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 13:56   #10
kielson

Quote:
Not sure why yours has failed so soon ..
Did anyone try to fix the inner joint? from what I know it's not that complicated construction; a greased bearing and a gator around. Could I just try to grease it and put it back up with a new cover. I've seen plenty of those "DIY kits" on eBay? I know that I'm compromising on reliability. Anyone had any experiences?

Last edited by kielson; Jun 6th, 2019 at 14:00.