Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss in boost

Views : 9236

Replies : 129

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 14:34   #91
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54 View Post
hmmmm, thats about bloody right isnt it !!!
only way to find out for sure bud is to put a known good actuator on her and if that gives no boost all i can think of is your ecu is having a melt down and getting your bcs to open the actuator too early.
we had it boosting with the mbc and boosting when i tightend the actuator arm right up, i still think its the actuator misbehaving though.
unfortunately im not familiar with an actuators internals so i cant give a theory as to why the boost sometimes returns.
possibly a diaphram split which sometimes seals itself ???

wayne
Yeah, thats a good point I am hoping that it is going to be the actuator at fault and tbh after having a think about it last night I think I want a brand new actuator on the car anyway. Will probably have a shot at renewing it myself, I have a fairly accurate boost gauge I can utilise from my other car which I can hook up temporarly from one of the spare branches from the vacuum tree to set up the correct boost level. All I hope is that the little thought in the back of my mind about the ECU being faulty is wrong!!

Can't wait to get the performance back 100 percent of the time as having restored full power today was like the car teasing me saying "look what I can do when I want to!!" lol
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 18:08   #92
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Yes it was nice to meet you and your brother James, Andy and my old buddy Wayno...
Firstly i would re-itterate what a great 854R you have there, incredible body and paintwork and one of the cleanest engine bays i have seen..., considerably cleaner than mine or waynes in any case..lol
Well Wayne has proved, in my mind that the the issue is Wastegate actuator, rod or the sealing disc....
The car has had a full recent service, including a rotor and dizzy cap change so any "lack of maintenance" issues could be discarded...
A couple of the vac hoses looked liked they had seen better days, however replacing the recirc valve, actuator and inlet hose, hoses with 4mm fuel line failed to improve the situation...
The Mbc seemed to prove the actuator was at fault, but i was disapointed that after wayne had spent so much effort in removing the heatshield and replacing the actuator with on he has "lying around" the problem was not cured..Wayne is convinced that the actuator he replaced andy's with was knackered, but it did work well when wound in....
It does not sound like the remap has caused any issues TBH andy as the mbc worked well and despite the 850's inability to read boost levels, per say (there are ways it works out pressure).. if the ecu was cutting boost too early it would certainly have done this with the MBC in place..
I hope that the actuator is at fault, as with your contacts this should be fairly cost effective and im sure following waynes guidance you should be confident enough to try this yourself......
A Mbc is a great fault finding bit of kit....
All the best
cheers
jod
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 19:45   #93
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
Yes it was nice to meet you and your brother James, Andy and my old buddy Wayno...
Firstly i would re-itterate what a great 854R you have there, incredible body and paintwork and one of the cleanest engine bays i have seen..., considerably cleaner than mine or waynes in any case..lol
Well Wayne has proved, in my mind that the the issue is Wastegate actuator, rod or the sealing disc....
The car has had a full recent service, including a rotor and dizzy cap change so any "lack of maintenance" issues could be discarded...
A couple of the vac hoses looked liked they had seen better days, however replacing the recirc valve, actuator and inlet hose, hoses with 4mm fuel line failed to improve the situation...
The Mbc seemed to prove the actuator was at fault, but i was disapointed that after wayne had spent so much effort in removing the heatshield and replacing the actuator with on he has "lying around" the problem was not cured..Wayne is convinced that the actuator he replaced andy's with was knackered, but it did work well when wound in....
It does not sound like the remap has caused any issues TBH andy as the mbc worked well and despite the 850's inability to read boost levels, per say (there are ways it works out pressure).. if the ecu was cutting boost too early it would certainly have done this with the MBC in place..
I hope that the actuator is at fault, as with your contacts this should be fairly cost effective and im sure following waynes guidance you should be confident enough to try this yourself......
A Mbc is a great fault finding bit of kit....
All the best
cheers
jod
Cheers for the kind complements Jod, will definately give replacing the actuator a shot myself
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 19:50   #94
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Let us know how it goes.

Looks like it'll be finished in plenty of time for Marham.

Looking forward to seeing your beast (car)

George

Last edited by Georgey dee; Feb 24th, 2008 at 20:40. Reason: To add the word car after beast to stop miss-understanding
Georgey dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 19:53   #95
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post
Let us know how it goes.

Looks like it'll be finished in plenty of time for Marham.

Looking forward to seeing your beast

George
Fingers Crossed
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 20:40   #96
Georgey dee
Premier Member

As you can see I had to edit my previous thread due to my own warped little mind
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 21:22   #97
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
As you can see I had to edit my previous thread due to my own warped little mind
LOL, i can feel the forums phone lines ringing with liberals screaming that we have a pervert in our midsts....
What is the number?..lol
cheers
jod
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 23:24   #98
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Didn't even read it like that anyway. I would have edited my post for you as well had it not have been too late! lol
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 10:01   #99
bb54
diy bhp

[QUOTE=jod t5;374639]

as you can no doubt remember, the spare actuator that had come off my doner car was wound back so far there was no thread left on the arm and when on my doner this only took the boost up to 13-14 psi when used with a bcs so it was probably very weak itself.

im pretty confident a new actuator will sort it.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 14:55   #100
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

[QUOTE=bb54;375015]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post

as you can no doubt remember, the spare actuator that had come off my doner car was wound back so far there was no thread left on the arm
wayne
Thats standard setting for one of your cars....
cheers
jod