Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss in boost

Views : 9229

Replies : 129

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 19:10   #81
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Nice one. Glad you've narrowed it down.

Mine has been annoying today or not depending on how you look at it.

I went to the meet at Halifax and no judder or loss of boost!!!

Hmmmmm, now i'm confused. But I've always thought it was temp related and it was quite warm today,,,,,,, or am I clutching at straws??!!!

George
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 19:15   #82
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post
Nice one. Glad you've narrowed it down.
Me to

Quote:

Mine has been annoying today or not depending on how you look at it.

I went to the meet at Halifax and no judder or loss of boost!!!

Hmmmmm, now i'm confused. But I've always thought it was temp related and it was quite warm today,,,,,,, or am I clutching at straws??!!!

George
I would say it may have been coincidence that it has always appeared to happen in the warmer weathered days previously if it was fine today unless it has always been an intermitant fault and you have today proved that it isn't temperature related.

If you don't fix it before Marham perhaps we can have a little area where the sick R's can park together!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 19:20   #83
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Good idea but i hope to have it sorted by then. But then again i've had it since the autumn.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 19:27   #84
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Good idea but i hope to have it sorted by then. But then again i've had it since the autumn.

Maybe you have already inadvertently sorted it the other day!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 22:31   #85
bb54
diy bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrs View Post
Right met up with Jod and Wayne today in Saxmundham, my work on the car involved driving it after tweaks so all which is described below was carried out by Jod and Wayne.

Vac lines to BCS - renewed - still no good.
BCS swapped with known good one - still no good.
Adjust wastegate actuator - still no good.
BCS disconnected MBC fitted - boost levels restored - suspect wastegate actuator fault.
Removed and substituted wastegate actuator removed MBC and reconnected BCS carried out test - still no different.
Adjusted wastegate actuator - boost levels increased back to previous but not until engine speed higher up in the rev range.

The outcome original actuator faulty, substitute actuator weak... requires new wastegate actuator.

Now just a case of getting an actuator and getting it setup. Probably won't be done for Marham as I want it fitted and setup by Russ and the car isn't booked in until 14th April so will be spectating instead of tracking!

Cheers once again for the help today guy's what you did was above me but im glad you found the fault.
your welcome andy, im glad to share my limited knowledge/skills but most of all i like to stick two fingers up at the main stealers and thier £90 an hour charges for labour.

be lucky, wayne.

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 22:34   #86
bb54
diy bhp

by the way andy, crem example of an 850R mate.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 00:57   #87
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54 View Post
by the way andy, crem example of an 850R mate.

wayne

Thanks chap,
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:49   #88
bb54
diy bhp

andy and jod, found the source of my missfire that developed on the way down to meet you... number 1 plug lead had a small hole blown through the side of the plastic cover that sits over the plug and it had been arcing onto the side of the ally plug recess.
first plug lead i removed was the prob, if only all probs were as simple to fix huh.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 13:07   #89
AndysR
VOC Member

Nice one Wayne like a simple fix!

Regarding my car... Welcome into the equation a spanner which has been thrown into the works. Went for a drive in the car today, being as it was one of those nice sunny mornings, car drove just as it has been recently relatively no boost. However after about 15 mins into the drive guess what!!!!

Yes thats right the bloody thing started boosting properly again I mean WTF I thought it was all plain and simple but now I am begining to wonder whether the ECU is at fault or something?? Only reason I am thinking that is the MBC obviously bypasses the ECU's control of the boost pressures and yesterday we got full boost with the MBC fitted. Everything else showed the same fault and certainly for all of the drive home yesterday, about 80 - 100 miles, it was boosting poorly and today it started off boosting poorly then all of its own accord back to normal again!! Think the car is trying to annoy me now!! lol

Anyone ever experienced a fault with the ECU or a Rica which could replicate such a fault? One other thing Jod found bizzare yesterday was that his diagnostic code reader wouldn't communicate with the ECU in certain modes. I wonder if this is due to an ECU fault?
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 13:40   #90
bb54
diy bhp

hmmmm, thats about bloody right isnt it !!!
only way to find out for sure bud is to put a known good actuator on her and if that gives no boost all i can think of is your ecu is having a melt down and getting your bcs to open the actuator too early.
we had it boosting with the mbc and boosting when i tightend the actuator arm right up, i still think its the actuator misbehaving though.
unfortunately im not familiar with an actuators internals so i cant give a theory as to why the boost sometimes returns.
possibly a diaphram split which sometimes seals itself ???

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted