Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Audio experts help needed please.

Views : 609

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 20:30   #1
T5 Paul

Default Audio experts help needed please.

Hi.

I have fitted a 12inch sub woofer(Blaupunkt Velocity VW280) and amp (Blaupunkt VA-2100) to my V70. It sounds ok mostly but on the demo CD that came with it the cone seems to be over extending even with the gain far from max. This doesn't seem to be noticeable on my own CDs. Maybe the bass on the demo tracks is over the top?

The inputs to the 2 channel amp is fed from the left and right rear speaker wiring.

The speaker has two coils of 2ohm each. This is the first time I have seen a speaker with two coils. I have wired both of these coils into the amp as per the diagram. One pair to the L+ & L- and one pair to R+ and R-. I have been careful to keep things in phase (including the inputs).

By wiring it this way am I getting slightly different bass signals from the left and right going to the two speaker coils and making them "fight" against each other? I always thought bass was non directional so would I have been better off feeding both channels of the amp from just one signal (either left or right)?
T5 Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:32   #2
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

twin voice coils aren't unusual but never used them myself

running each coil off a seperate channel like that is no problem at all for the amp, infact it would quite like the 2ohm per channel. But i would make sure both channels are playing the same, perhaps bridge the inputs to the amp so both are producing either left or right to make sure that both coils are doing the same thing

personaly what i would do is get a mono channel amp, run both coils off it in parallel making sure the amp is 1ohm stable
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 22:57   #3
T5 Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango View Post
i would make sure both channels are playing the same, perhaps bridge the inputs to the amp so both are producing either left or right to make sure that both coils are doing the same thing
Thanks. I'll try that.
T5 Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 23:44   #4
cbyard
TDC Member ;-)

It would seem to me from your description of the wiring that the overall system is simply adding the signals from both channels to give a single output from the bass speaker. This would make sense audio wise, since low bass is non directional; also it's pretty much the way that a subwoofer behind the sofa works in a domestic installation :-)

If your own CDs work OK, then probably the demo CD IS "over the top" to show off the bass performance.

If you like the results and nothing goes pop, go for it!

Watch out for hearing loss in middle age..........

Chris
cbyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 01:34   #5
TheG
growl, woosh!

I would bridge the amp you have and then wire the sub in series or parallel (depending on what load the amp can take) and that way you know that you're feeding both coils the same signal. If you feed them different signals, you *can* cook them. Its not likely, but it is possible, depending on what you play.
TheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 17:56   #6
MethodMan

also check if your amp has the ability to run a mono signal to the ouput stage even if you have not wired it as mono..

if it has no switches or settings to do this, then as suggested by other members run the amp bridged (also check can the amp do this) and then wire the coils in series or parallel to get the required load..