Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Electrial Nightmare

Views : 821

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2021, 11:27   #1
Slam3d

Default V50 Electrial Nightmare

assume it's something to cem before I begin because the problems started to happen after I changed the cabin filter (UK so on the passanger side)

A few days ago I did a long drive about 400 mile round trip and everything was good until i almost got home. The radio turned off and on and the dashboard said something about antiskid for 2 seconds. Then back to normal. It happend again yesterday but when the engine turned back on (stop start engine). But when i got home and tried to lock the car the alarm when off. I then tried to start the car and it wouldn't start.

After fumbling for about 3 hours the car would sometimes start and run fine. But if I turned off the car for about 10 minutes it wouldn't start up again. I used vida yesterday and today and have taken pictures of these error codes.

(Picture were tooo big so i've just left the links)

(400 mile round trip)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...810_202222.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...812_190946.jpg

(Car wont lock and alarm issue)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...813_140715.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...813_144247.jpg

I assume its something to do the with the plugs on the CEM as the car sometimes will start and drive normaly. But other times the car will refuse to start.

I have removed the CEM to check for any water damage and I cannot see anything obvious. I have also check the plugs for water damage and again nothing. One thing to note, all the plugs but the big green one are very easy to put in and out, could the other plugs be loose?

Also when checking the voltage of the battery I used both a multimeter and vida, sometimes they were close but other times vida was reading a lot lower than the multimeter. At times vida was reading 7v or 8v while the multimeter never droped below 12v.

Can anyone give any advice or help.
Slam3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 13:37   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quote:
At times vida was reading 7v or 8v while the multimeter never droped below 12v.
Even 12V is too low.

I would be tempted to test your alternator/ Battery.

The alternator can be tested with Vida Dice.

Iain
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 14:04   #3
Slam3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi

Even 12V is too low.

I would be tempted to test your alternator/ Battery.

The alternator can be tested with Vida Dice.

Iain
I have one of those Foxwell battery analysis tools and it (when i was able to start the car) the battery and alternator were fine. I'll do a vida test too but as stated above the car will start some times othet times it's just dead or the dashboard may flicker back into life for a little while.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 16:13   #4
Slam3d

Default Update

I used some of the soft fabric tape to make the plug tighter and that didn't work. But if i unplug the battery, wait a few minutes then plug the battery back in it goes back to normal. I didn't touch cem. So now i assume the cem doesn't want to give power to the other modules for some reason after the car has been started.
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 16:26   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
I found on mine modules started shutting down when I had a low voltage during starting. Have you checked the voltage during starting? The battery could be on the low side, a bad connection on the battery or earth connections, a starter motor on its way out.

These cars are very fussy when it comes to low voltages.
Worth checking any battery/cable connections

You could try jump leads from a running car to see if you get the same results. Especially if you put the neg jump lead on the engine block. That will then be a more direct connection than the battery to engine existing connection.
All your readouts mention low voltage so would be tempted to go down that track first
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Aug 14th, 2021 at 16:31.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2021, 17:48   #6
Slam3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
I found on mine modules started shutting down when I had a low voltage during starting. Have you checked the voltage during starting? The battery could be on the low side, a bad connection on the battery or earth connections, a starter motor on its way out.

These cars are very fussy when it comes to low voltages.
Worth checking any battery/cable connections

You could try jump leads from a running car to see if you get the same results. Especially if you put the neg jump lead on the engine block. That will then be a more direct connection than the battery to engine existing connection.
All your readouts mention low voltage so would be tempted to go down that track first
Iain
So with my foxwell battery tester I test with both terminals on the battery and it seams fine 12.5v with the car off, tried with the negative on the engine and the same. However with the negative on the body ground it was a little bit lower about 1v lower.

I also unplugged the battery while the engine was on and gave it a load (high beam, ac, fog lights) to test the alternator and the car didn't die. So im confidet that the alternator is fine.

Only thing I have changed from OEM was the radio https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/c...gether.645283/ and the CCM. I've unplugged the new radio and that didn't fix anything. However I changed back to my OEM CCM and it's seems to fix all my issues. (fingers crossed) I'm gonna put it back properly and give it another drive in a few hours and check all the dtcs again.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 15:15   #7
compaq1024

Have you tried removing the CEM and all plugs and spraying it with contact cleaner? I had similar issues and that sorted ALL of my electrical issues overnight.

(When I say spray I mean cover it in the stuff.)
compaq1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cem, volvo v50