Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Surprisingly underpowered

Views : 1062

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2019, 19:50   #1
Ovlovppz

Default Surprisingly underpowered

Took the caravan out today. The nivomats picked up the rear nicely and the car felt very stable.
I am generally pleased with it but it has surprised me with its lack of pulling power.
I have come from a 2004 1.9 Passat Highline estate.
It was remapped from 130 to 165 and pulled the caravan with no issue. Now, the V70 is apparently 163 but does not seem to compare to the Passat for its towing ability.

Is this normal or do I have an issue with the V70?
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 20:13   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I would suggest you have an issue with the car or caravan. My previous 140 bhp P1 2.4 tdi V70 pulled my 1450kg caravan with no problems. My current 175 bhp polestarred 195 bhp P3 XC70 2.4 D5 pulls my 1650kg caravan like a train.

In truth the polestar upgrade made it a better tow car, bringing peak torque lower down the rev range so that pulling off became a doddle whereas before the upgrade there was noticable turbo lag.

Are you sure the caravan brakes are not binding or the wheel bearings dry? The old van I serviced myself and found if the van was stored with the brakes applied then they often would not free off properly for 20 or so miles, also if not turned the tyres would set a flat in themselves in storage that took 20 or 30 miles to flex out of themselves, never had a problem with tyre pressures and always ran 55 psi.
I changed wheel bearings every 2 years as I found they pitted in storage and cheap £16 bearings changed regularly were a better option than alco bearings at £56 which still pitted.

The new van being under warranty I have to have serviced by a registered agent, doesn't stop me checking for peace of mind.
I store the van with wheels chocked and brakes off but my storage is inside a barn not an open yard as most are.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 20:34   #3
Ovlovppz

Thanks for replying Paul.
The caravans in good order. Brakes operating correctly and the wheels rotate freely.
The car does not seem as sprightly as the Passat even when solo. (It used to wheel spin in third gear)😉
The V70 runs well and has no problems.
I felt towing with it was more of a chore than a pleasure due to the lack of torque and needing to frequently change gear to climb the Lincolnshire hills.
I am considering a remap but on paper it shouldn't be necessary 🤔🤔
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 21:55   #4
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Think you've got an issue with the car.

I'd suspect something like the MAF.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 22:23   #5
Ovlovppz

No issues show up on VIDA 🤔
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 08:42   #6
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovlovppz View Post
No issues show up on VIDA 🤔
What's the history of the car, do you know? Short runs , lots of ticking over can cause the ERG system to foul the inlet tract, not enough to throw a fault code but enough to restrict airflow.
While an Italian tune up/ regen can clear the the muck from the exhaust side of the engine only physical cleaning can clear the inlet tract. Know my works van, a pto cherry picker has had to have the inlet manifold and erg valve replaced because it was blocked with muck despite always being run on branded fuel.

There are vids on here and u tube about doing the job and some of the pictures show an alarming amount of muck in the manifold. It is apparently a bit of a bugger to do mind, not done it myself yet but expect it will be needed at some point on all euro5 engines.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 09:47   #7
Ovlovppz

I cleaned the egr and the intake manifold recently.
Got a lot of muck out of it but not huge amounts as it was not severe and the car has been used for mainly motorway driving.
I think I will have a look at it all when I get home but for now, it pulls the caravan but just not how I thought it would. Maybe my expectations are too high. 👍👍
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 13:03   #8
Peter86
Pete

Out of curiosity, why didn't you consider a D4/ D5 if your towing? More power is always better.
Another thing to consider is modern cars are more heavier due to safety items, bet your Volvo is well equipped.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 14:39   #9
Ovlovppz

I chose the 163 because it has the same HP and more or less weighs the same as what it replaced.
So I would have thought it would have been more or less equal. However, the V70 is a far better tow car regarding suspension and road holding. So the Volvo wins hands down. I just need a little more go from it 👍
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 15:26   #10
tommyweaves
Premier Member

If you can find someone with the same engine, it's a very quick and simple job to swap the MAF. Within 10 minutes you'd know if that is your issue. Worth a try before looking at more painful scenarios.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote