Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car tax bands.. Hmm

Views : 2868

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 00:58   #11
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post
What is this 0.3 value?!

LPG powered vehicles still have high values of CO2 emissions, and higher CO emissions than petrol and diesel, but I belive lower NO emissions ( the reall ugly stuff).

LPG is not a cleaner fuel, it's just cleaner in some areas and more crappy in others!
0.3 is my co2 level for some one who noes a lot abought tax bands u dont no much abought lpg . lpg is lower on co2 than any other fuel ps i have a desin for sale in a couple of monts time were u will be abile to feed ur car munuar only trouble is i cant get rid of the smell been tying every thing buy as soon as i have cracked the last few hitches i will post the plans in the fourm and u can all have a go it isd working at the mo but after 60 miles it starts back firing im testing it on a old 340 as soon as the car cools down it dont back fire for enoughter 60 miles lol ill get it right soon
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 10:18   #12
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareths306 View Post
country has gone to the dogs. The government are raping us for everything these days.

Do you know what... I havent long bought my first house, so i thought about changing my dentist. you're probably thinking where's Gareth going with this! Anyway, as I was saying, I thought about changing it until I walked into the surgery and spoke to the receptionist. She said it's free to transfer, just have to pay £30 for x-rays. £30 for x-rays? im thinking... can i go to an indy!!! lol

Anyway... I asked if you get free dental treatment under 25 years of age. She asked how old I was, so I stated my age... personally if someone asked me that question I would assume they were under 25 but anyway!

She asked if I was working full time, I said Yes. She said because you are working full time you would have to pay for all treatment. So i confirmed if I wasn't working it would be free? She confirmed!!! So I just came out with it "I'm better off not having a bloody job and scrounging off the government" She raised her eyes and said "Yeah".

So there you go, another example of how the government rape us for having full time jobs. I say everyone go on the dole... you would get free dental treatment if you did!!! And you probably wouldnt be much worse off than you actually are!

So here we go... a petition for lowering our car tax as it's under 1.71 and another for free dental treatment!!! Can anyone think of any more petitions? LOL
With regards to denistry, you're probably much better off going private, as in order to make any money at all in the NHS system, those dentists usually have to cut quite a few corners in order to fit patients into a shorter time slot....

My ex was a dental nurse (now about to graduate as a dentist) and when temping, she was absolutely horrified by how things were done at the fully NHS dental practices that she was sent to, compared to the private / private & NHS practices.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 11:49   #13
Viper_7
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsky01 View Post
0.3 is my co2 level for some one who noes a lot abought tax bands u dont no much abought lpg . lpg is lower on co2 than any other fuel ps i have a desin for sale in a couple of monts time were u will be abile to feed ur car munuar only trouble is i cant get rid of the smell been tying every thing buy as soon as i have cracked the last few hitches i will post the plans in the fourm and u can all have a go it is working at the mo but after 60 miles it starts back firing im testing it on a old 340 as soon as the car cools down it dont back fire for enoughter 60 miles lol ill get it right soon
LPG vehicles emit around 20% LESS Co2 levels than petrol and virtually the same as diesel- now 20% of say the average of around 150g/kilometer is nothing like 0.3. - do some searches and research and you'll see this is the case.

I ask again what is this 0.3 figure is - is it CO2 g/kilometer, is it 0.3 baths of baked beans? a number on it's own means nothing, what are the units? I suspect it's % by volume.

where LPG excells is in Nox levels and particilates, LPG beats diesels and petrol hands down on these, they do however have higher CO levels.

I agree they are cleaner with respect to the more damaging emissions at low level - which is why they get a favaroable excise duty on the fuel, but they are by no means cleaner period.

Vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:04   #14
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post
LPG vehicles emit around 20% LESS Co2 levels than petrol and virtually the same as diesel- now 20% of say the average of around 150g/kilometer is nothing like 0.3. - do some searches and research and you'll see this is the case.

I ask again what is this 0.3 figure is - is it CO2 g/kilometer, is it 0.3 baths of baked beans? a number on it's own means nothing, what are the units? I suspect it's % by volume.

where LPG excells is in Nox levels and particilates, LPG beats diesels and petrol hands down on these, they do however have higher CO levels.

I agree they are cleaner with respect to the more damaging emissions at low level - which is why they get a favaroable excise duty on the fuel, but they are by no means cleaner period.

Vipes
im not geting in to a argument with u i dont have the time as soon as i can lay my hands on a digi cam ill post a picture of the print out then u will see im right average is around 10 for petrol 8 on der and average is .3 % on lpg
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:08   #15
Viper_7
Premier Member

ok - here's one linky:

http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/driver_ind...saving%206.htm

This one is quiet interesting if true - LPG does not return as many MPG as petrol - so your using up more fossil fuels per mile.

here's another linky:

http://www.afs.uk.com/lpg_autogas.htm

and another:

http://www.lpgs-r-us.co.uk/

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/nov20...usiness/b3.htm

all of these say that you only reduce CO2 by 20% compared to petrol.

I could post about another 50-100! to prove my point!

Your figure of 0.3 % volume is low though but as I said right at the start you always find it's lower than the quoted figure.
Vipes
Mods:
Child Seat

Last edited by Viper_7; Feb 24th, 2007 at 12:13.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 13:05   #16
Gareths306
Premier Member

cheers 222!! never thought of it like that with the dentist!!!! One other question... why did you break up with your ex? the dentist nurses are always gorgous!!! LOL Well they are in my dentist!!! I think i'll stay in my private one then 35 miles from where i live!!! It's only every 6 months!!! LOL

So it wouldnt be worth converting a diesel to LPG then? Although they say if you mix the lpg with the diesel you get some serious power increases!!!
Gareths306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 13:20   #17
Viper_7
Premier Member

Depends on the type of driving you do, but overall LPG is much better, but people mainly go for it due to the reduced cost in fuel, but you'll have to weigh this up against the initial cost outlay for the conversion, and yes in virtually all cases converting from diesel to LPG increases performance and reduces particulates to virtually nothing.

I'm just waiting to the number of LPG vehicles out there hit such a level that the government up the tax on them!

Vipes
Mods:
Child Seat
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 15:03   #18
Gareths306
Premier Member

yep you are spot on!!! That's why I havent really considered a conversion! Sods law will be when i have it done they tax it!!! Although they shouldn't really as it is cleaner in certain respects! certainly greener than my D5!!!
Gareths306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 11:10   #19
GMcL
0's and 1's

I wish the polticians would get their story straight.

On the one hand they set the road tax by CO2 emissions, on the other they say cars had to be Euro III compliant, now EuroIV and soon 5 and 6 compliant.
If you read the Euro emissions rules, the objective is to lower PPM's and NOx, not CO2. In order to lower these the CO2 level increases (see Volvo D5 emissions from EuroIII to EuroIV cars they go from 166g/km to 174g/km or 199g/km for an automatic !!!).
How do the Eurocrats expect car manufacturers to get CO2 levels down while at the same time legistlating to push CO2 levels up ???
As usual the people who know nothing about anything, but can throw a bung for a dodgy report in the right direction, are setting the rules for the rest of us.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 13:32   #20
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I wish the polticians would get their story straight.

On the one hand they set the road tax by CO2 emissions, on the other they say cars had to be Euro III compliant, now EuroIV and soon 5 and 6 compliant.
If you read the Euro emissions rules, the objective is to lower PPM's and NOx, not CO2. In order to lower these the CO2 level increases (see Volvo D5 emissions from EuroIII to EuroIV cars they go from 166g/km to 174g/km or 199g/km for an automatic !!!).
How do the Eurocrats expect car manufacturers to get CO2 levels down while at the same time legistlating to push CO2 levels up ???
As usual the people who know nothing about anything, but can throw a bung for a dodgy report in the right direction, are setting the rules for the rest of us.
Wern't you aware that one of the qualities to be a successful eurocrat is to have your head firmly jammed up your bottom??
It is a primary attribute...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote