Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with EV

Views : 4783

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2023, 08:46   #1
Pdc1604

Default Towing with EV

I’d welcome any tips or insights from anyone with experience towing with their Volvo EV. I’m guessing hitching a caravan will roughly halve the range. Anything else I should be aware of? Car is XC40 Recharge Twin. Thanks
Pdc1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 12:30   #2
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdc1604 View Post
I’d welcome any tips or insights from anyone with experience towing with their Volvo EV. I’m guessing hitching a caravan will roughly halve the range. Anything else I should be aware of? Car is XC40 Recharge Twin. Thanks
I can't help directly as my car is different and I don't tow! but ...

When I got my diesel twin engine, I had a good scout around YouTube, and people like Practical Caravan did tests on it while towing a caravan - stability, running on electric only, range, acceleration etc. I'm sure they do the same on the XC40 if you search it different ways?

I did see the new iX5(?) BMW on a towing test last week where the range was under half.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 07:14   #3
Rich850R
Master Member

Have a look at this video from PetrolPed -

https://youtu.be/0oLeKRNsSn4

Really good video relating to EV towing
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 07:16   #4
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
I can't help directly as my car is different and I don't tow! but ...

When I got my diesel twin engine, I had a good scout around YouTube, and people like Practical Caravan did tests on it while towing a caravan - stability, running on electric only, range, acceleration etc. I'm sure they do the same on the XC40 if you search it different ways?

I did see the new iX5(?) BMW on a towing test last week where the range was under half.
ive linked that video above, i commented on that initial video, imagine the range, with a fully loaded car with a family of 4, bikes on the roof, and a van that was loaded for a couple of weeks away! Imagine the range then!
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 08:20   #5
watto64

There is a chap on the caravan club forum who sings the praises and virtues on towing with his polestar. But he is also quite happy to stop every 120 miles to recharge. These recharges involve disconnecting the caravan to get access to the charging points.

Some sites / clubs now charge a premium for charging EV's via your electric hook-up

Andrew Ditton on youtube has done some great open and honest EV towing vids on YT but he does travel light and solo.

There is no denying the instant very high torque of an EV is very enticing but it just means you get to the next recharging queue sooner.
watto64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 21:51   #6
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

This Volvo is what You need to avoid range issues

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wlHqyr...NhbCBjYXJhdmFu
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 22:50   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by watto64 View Post
There is a chap on the caravan club forum who sings the praises and virtues on towing with his polestar. But he is also quite happy to stop every 120 miles to recharge. These recharges involve disconnecting the caravan to get access to the charging points.
Oh my word - that's a world of pain I never thought of... arrive at motorway services, park in caravan parking, unhitch car, drive around to charging points, queue, charge, re-attached caravan if someone hasn't stolen it or blocked it in, do another 100 miles, repeat, come home to 10 x 2 Parking Charge Notices for exceeding the 2 hour stay.....

Why on earth would anyone want to put themselves through that?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 07:42   #8
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quite!🤷*♂️
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 08:42   #9
cogs

Personally I'm going to resist going ev for as long as possible. Hoping hydrogen comes main stream before I really need to change from petrol/diesel. I can understand the need for the environmently issues but when you really look into it beyond the hype an EV isn't really much different environmently than a petrol car. Yes the actual inuse emissions is a lot better but the take into the manufacturing especially of the batteries the need to produce the power which is never going to be fully green even with the government pulling the con trick of classing nuclear as "green"and setting up the infostructure.
From what I see the best thing environmental is to buy a second petrol car and fix it with recycled parts until hydrogen powered cars come online. Of course with the UK misinvesting so much of our money into EVs and ignoring hydrogen UK will be left behind again.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 09:11   #10
TerryRist

As others have said, towing even a small caravan with an EV is a joke and highly impractical. You will be lucky to get half the normal range if you are towing, and having to stop so frequently and disconnect the trailer to charge is not a fun experience. Yes it is possible, but any trip will be needlessly elongated by constant charging stops and the faff that goes along with it adding hours to any journey time.
TerryRist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charge, electric, towing