Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

does your satelite navigation direct you onto a rail track?

Views : 2456

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:06   #21
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Lightbulb

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN ROBERTS View Post
hi when i whent to pick my car up last week while approching a roundabout it said take thered exit so i did and ended up in a car park with playgroud ? very worrieing as i was complealy relilying on it why cart the saterlite see these small exits??
The chances are that that carpark didn't exist when they generated the map you are using.
Maps are generally 6 to 12 months behind actual roads being on the ground.
I have an old copy of TomTom and I am regularly driving through fields when I hit new road sections or bypasses..

When using SatNav it pays to check the direction it plans to send you with road signs as an additional check on the direction you are going. If your SatNav shows a round-a-bout with 4 exits and the sign ahead shows one with 6, you know there needs to be caution used in determining which is the correct exit..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:14   #22
JOHN ROBERTS

Wink sat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

The chances are that that carpark didn't exist when they generated the map you are using.
I have an old copy of TomTom and I am regularly driving through fields when I hit new road sections or bypasses..

When using SatNav it pays to check the direction it plans to send you with road signs as an additional check on the direction you are going. If your SatNav shows a round-a-bout with 4 exits and the sign ahead shows one with 6, you know there needs to be caution used in determining which is the correct exit..

Des. . .
hummm intresting the one i used had been updated just before trip its a garman obviuosly crap then lol thinking about it it was programmed to avoid toll ect it sent me to the toll area £4 bloody h..ll why do we pay road tax lol

Last edited by JOHN ROBERTS; Mar 12th, 2007 at 12:18.
JOHN ROBERTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:42   #23
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Or in the case of Navteq and Sony try ten YEARS out of date. I bought a Sony NV-U71T just after Xmas. I don't know why...must have been a bad day or something as I swore blind I'd never buy another system using Navteq maps.
First time I used it, it crashed after 40 minutes driving. It reliably crashes after 4 hours, or so, use.
I then programmed it for a trip to the UK using the channel tunnel. Coquelles and Folkestone are both in the map but, I love this bit, it will take you to the channel tunnel terminal, then redirect you to Calais harbour to catch a boat because this must be the fastest way...the system then crashes when calculating a route from Folkestone channel tunnel terminal to anywhere in the UK.

Needless to say it is now back with Sony to get "fixed".

Tip to Sony: A little less time spent on PS3 and a bit more attention to the rest of the product range may help Sony. Don't go down the Microsoft let the customer to the testing and iron the bugs out for us route.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 21:47   #24
akash

I have to say, I did feel for her.

I've been in this situation twice!

First time, I was near manchester station and I used the sat nav (tom tom 700) to take me back to london.
On the directions, it started off ok fro the NCP Car park until it told me to do a "left"

I went past a parked up police car - thought nothing of it, and proceeded to taking the left.

It was light but NO signs and no road markings

Next thing I know, a tram is coming towards me and two blue lights QUICKLY coming up towards me
he swung in front of himself in harms way of the tram, shouted at me to turn around quickly and so i did
no harm done but he was very annoyed. Told him I wasnt from here (despite having a manchester number plate) and it was the satnav. He was understanding though a little shook up.

The second time, I was in Croydon in Shirly. Most will know that some areas there have no lights and only bush. Sat Nav (Still tom tom 700) told me to do a right. so I did.
I realised I was on or just a few inches away from live train tracks
luckily no trains and managd to get back

Ever since those two times, I've made sure I check check and re-check and NOT rely 100% on the sat nav (which was my mistake the first two times)
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 21:59   #25
Viper_7
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perussell View Post
Vipes - if you didn't already do so, take a look at www.pocketgpsworld.com - I have the exact same unit, lots of good advice in the forums and links to speed cameras, many more POIs etc and some interesting threads around the Traffic Info - good and bad! Make sure your unit has the V9 maps loaded on it, if not you can get a free upgrade from Garmin.

I use this unit in preference to my Volvo RTI - much better route navigation! I really like it, you just need to understand its' limitations.

cheers, I have already stumbled across it!
Added an extra 50k of POI's - important to know where the nearest Aldi is! lol and update the firmware to the latest version - yes I also got the Map updates, thanks for mentioning it anyway. I think the POI library on the Garmin is brilliant and so easy to build your own.

Shame the POI's don't show up on the map in the imediate area - but I guess things would get a little cluttered.

I've not had any problems with the Traffic info as yet, the signal is always strong and I can see lots of alerts that always seem to be around 30 miles away from where I am! Also noted that it calculated different routes to work depending on the time of day.

Think I'm converted.

Vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 18:50   #26
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

So what is it with Sat-Navs. Are they Idiot Proof? Or made for men only? Here is another story of a lady happily driving her car into water and car is completely submerged. Again, Sat-nav to blame as it led her down a path only meant for farmers 4x4s.

Trust your Sat Nav?..

Close call this one.

cheers

{edit}: PS: I changed my SatNav to a male voice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splashnav02_468x300.jpg (34.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by pigapumbu; Mar 16th, 2007 at 18:52. Reason: adding to it.
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 18:59   #27
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Shame it wasn't a cliff she was going towards..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 21:10   #28
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Quote:
Hi,

Shame it wasn't a cliff she was going towards..

Des. . .
haha,.. got me laughing there..!!

eric
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 22:15   #29
bigandquick
Premier Member

They've all got their flaws.
I have a Tomtom which insists that to get to our nearest town I have to get on the A14, drive to the next junction, turn around and come back and get off again where I joined it, hence getting me to the other side of the A14 from where I joined it. Why? Because the slip roads have been allocated the same number as the road which would take you directly under the A14, rather than being labelled as the A14 as they actually are. Bet this has caught a few people out. I let Tomtom know but nothing has changed in the latest update.
Not the clearest of descriptions I notice on re-reading, but I know what I mean and I'm not writing it again

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 13:41   #30
GMcL
0's and 1's

Default Leave it to the professionals !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...70&ito=newsnow

Install sat-nav, disengage brain.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote