Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 850 Estate T5 Auto £650 B77 Tamworth 280BHP!

Views : 1632

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2014, 15:06   #1
lixah
Master Member

Default volvo 850 Estate T5 Auto £650 B77 Tamworth 280BHP!

Hello and welcome to the listing for my volvo 850 T5 automatic estate! I have not owned this car for long, but my insurance is nearly due, and I haven't yet found a reasonable quote since I'm a young driver, and I am also doing some HGV training soon and think it might be a good idea to get something that is a little better on fuel, and overall costs. I have been out working on this car a lot since i got it, and it's in really nice condition overall. they body is fantastic, with only minor scratches, it shines up very well, also only done 156k miles.

Ok, I will start off with the bad bits, as there really aren't many.

- There is an oil leak, i don't know exactly where this is coming from as i've not investigated it. Since I bought the car a month ago the oil level has moved from max to midway between min-max, so it's nothing serious. But it is there, and i've been told it could be something as simple as an oil return pipe. or it could be something that is more of a pain in the ass, like the rear main seal.

- ABS/TRACS light on (its all the same module) this is a very common problem, 2/4 of the 850s ive owned have had this light on. I'm 90% its just the module, if you check the web they seem to suggest that is usually the cause too. I am considering having a go at fixing it myself, as its usually just the connection between the power/circuit board that needs a little re-soldering. This doesn't always come on though, I would say 60% of the time its on.

- very slight knocking over bumps, i had this exact problem with another 850 I had, replacing the top strut mounts fixed it for me. but its nothing very noticeable, in fact you probably wouldn't even notice it unless you were told to listen out for it.

- very minor dent in the offside front wing (you can't even see it until the light catches it in a certain way, I tried to get a good few pics to show it in its worst)

As i said i've done quite a lot of work on the car since i've had it, so I'll list it below, plus any other special bits of information;

- I tinted the window, its a 15% tint on all rear windows, this was done by myself, and is the second 850 I have done the tint on, I'm by no means a professional, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out, its not perfect but looks great in my opinion.

- re-placed all vacuum lines

- replaced throttle body hose

- replaced ignition switch

- replaced air filter, cleaned out air box, replaced some broken clips.

- replaced both wing mirrors

- sanded down/painted wing mirror covers, petrol door (as well as replacing the hinge + door) whole rear wing (had very bad lacquer peel) and also a couple of small headlight trim bits. these bits i've painted aren't perfect but they look infinitely better than the originals.

- Regarding the 280bhp remap, I don't have any paperwork/anything else, i opened the ECU housing and took a look, there is nothing written on the ECU itself so I really don't have proof of anything like that, but i am assured by the last seller that it was remapped. And having owned a very T5 850s I have to say it does feel VERY rapid, this thing absolutely eats tyres

- almost new IAC valve + MAF sensor (Bosch) these were replaced by the last owner but they look very new, and he said he only recently replaced them.

- last owner also replaced both front wishbones at the last MOT, which is a common part that wears on these, as you can't replace the ball join on it's own.

- completely refurbished rear wiper motor/housing, this thing was seized since before the last owner had the car, so it was quite the job to get it unstuck, but with a lot of WD40, a heat gun and mallet It finally gave up, and I took it to pieces, and re-applied some copper grease, and put it all back tougher, it runs perfectly smoothly now, as new!

- brand new wiper blades all around within the last week. I also replaced both front wiper arms (not new however) as these cars has a problem with the springs going bad, and the wiper stops making contact near the top of the windscreen. so they work great now.

- replaced roof trim with newer V70 roof trim (with built in gutters when you clean the windows) a nice little upgrade, however it was really because the old trim was peeling badly when i got it, and i think it really made the car look tidy replacing them.

- recommissioned keyless entry, it came with just 2 keys, no fobs, I got 2 fobs and programmed them, as well as replace the broken sensor, so it now come with x2 key fobs and x2 original keys all working 100%. I also purchased a keyless entry relay, as i thought that might have been the problem, however turns out i didn't need it, so It can be included anyway.

- very good tyres all around, the seller also said he had just put 2 new Michelins ( i think it was Michelins but cant remember 100% but it was definitely a good make) on the front at a cost of £170! they did look near new, however as I said this car will eat front tyres. but all tyres are very new, and have a lot of tread left on them.

- The car has a lot of nice extras and is very well equipped, including; front and rear fog lights, rear spoiler, TRACS/ABS, wood trim, VERY good "premium" sound system (10 speakers IIRC) seriously i don't know why anyone would upgrade to aftermarket stuff with one of these systems, all speakers still working too! It also comes with the stock 6 CD changer in the boot, I will try to remember to test it next time I'm out there, because who still uses CDs now? but i have no reason to think it does not work. "T5" alloys all in great condition, with only very minor marks, including full size spare wheel, with good tread. WHITTER? tow bar, I have never tested it as i don't tow anything, it looks to be in good condition though. i assume it works. cruise control, No idea if it works or not, but i will try to remember to test it next time I'm out. full leather interior, no rips or tears, but as you can see in pictures, it's starting to show its age and slightly cracking, still very presentable. VERY rare/very sort after genuine volvo wooden steering wheel, these things are very sort after, sadly it has a small split in it, or i may have sold it separately. But I believe these were a £500 extra when the car was new! electric windows all around, all work. Child locks for rear windows/rear doors/boot. automatic gear box with winter/sport/economy working as it should!

That's about all I can think of right now, i'm sure there is more, but of course I did a LOT of cleaning/general tidying up around the whole car, including T cutting all the body work, and replacing missing trim pieces/screws etc as i luckily had a few saved.

The car has an MOT until Feb 2015, i'm pretty confident it will pass (obviously it will need ABS/TRACS sorting first).

I just took a bunch of pictures, but if there's anything you want to know, or pictures you want, just let me know, get in touch with me on here, or call or text on 07982 147 327

Looking for £650 ono, losing money at this price, but would like it gone soon-ish.

Cheers, Matt
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 08:00   #2
lixah
Master Member

as requested, the belt was replaced on 22/7/09 at 101000 miles. so quite a while left on that.

Also added a few engine bay pics, and it looks like someone has fitted a powerflex upper engine mount. nice little upgrade.

The Following User Says Thank You to lixah For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 11:16   #3
Paffel
VOC Member

Sweet looking ride Matt - this one and the previous one you had really undergone quite a transformation, you should be proud of yourself getting this one back up to it's current condition!

What were the MOT advisories for the latest test?

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 12:56   #4
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paffel View Post
Sweet looking ride Matt - this one and the previous one you had really undergone quite a transformation, you should be proud of yourself getting this one back up to it's current condition!

What were the MOT advisories for the latest test?
Hi buddy,

Thanks, but mostly i've fixed/tidied the car up more than do mechanical stuff. I do have to say the body on this car is one of the nicest i've owned, it's really only let down by that small dent on the o/s wing. and lucky that hasn't damaged the paint, it was my intention to snip off some of the arch lining rivets and see if i could tease the metal back into shape, but again something i never got around to sorting.

Anyway got all the information requested, and a tiny bit of bad news, the odometer seems to have stopped working, but i will say it definitely did work when i purchased the car, so regarding the mileage/cambelt /history etc I really wouldn't worry, I can also backup this with a full DVLA mot check, where the mileage corresponds each year steadily going up! I can also print this out for any perspective buyers if required.

Ok someone asked about history, I said i don't have much, but the service book is stamped upto 92k better than nothing! Also have a bit of paperwork, not really looked through it, but to be honest just looks like receipts for parts more than anything.

Also the current MOT has no advisories.

Old Jan 4th, 2015, 12:17   #5
lixah
Master Member

car now sold.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 19:32   #6
jonmsm

Yey - glad she has a new home. She was posted on my Facebook by a friend who saw her on retro rides and I almost talked another friend into buying it but he was worried about running costs with a new family! Such a great car for the money - hope you got what you were asking!

J

My Volvo is quick...so quick it flies...
jonmsm is offline   Reply With Quote