Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance Problem

Views : 3622

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 15:57   #11
mraldonnelly

"But don't just go for managers - you want somebody high up, and important, who realises the significance of an unhappy customer, rather than feeling aggrieved at a complaint."

Absolutely. Preferably to the Chief Exec.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:20   #12
c13tay

Thanks for the support

JUst found our over the weekend that the leak on the power steering is still there - been back twice for this and still not fixed - No doubt this will now become unrelated.

Just to give you the full picture, these are the other things they are now refusing to do.

1. small crease in bumper - insurance engineers say it is too close to a scuff which was already there so cant putit down to this accident.

2. area on my door edge where they have buffed thru to primer - initiallly going to repair but now saying it was done before

3. Crack in grille - they say not related

4. They had also sheared off a bumper bolt (the ones you can see when you open the bonnet) and hadnt bothered repairing - this they have done now

This whole experience is turning into a nightmare
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 09:27   #13
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Insurance Problem

This is time to let us know who they are - you are in no legal danger in doing this since you have simply stated facts.

Saying you're in a car club in your letter to the chief exec. or chief claims manager (and remember to head it "Without Prejudice") will tell them:

1) You can recognise proper panel alignment prior to the accident

2) You have access to a significant number of articulate people who will spread the bad news as widely as possible should this not be rectified ASAP.

In your letter make the point that this is a no-fault claim and thus no financial burden on your insurers - the BMW driver's company will be paying.

That they have a duty of care to their customer and a legal obligation to restore the vehicle to the pre-accident condition in all respects.

Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:36   #14
c13tay

This just gets better - the person I was told to write to, infact the same person who wrote to me explaining that my complaint was being dealt with has infact left the company - he left way before my accident so he did very well to send me a letter !!!.

I have now written to the chief exec and have subsequently been contacted to tell me that they are going to send an engineer out to look at it again. They said they prefer to send out the same engineer who looked at it before - but he is off sick at the moment.

Cant see the point in that - he is the one who said no work work was to be carried out !

so ..... I would like to think that someone has had a kick up the backside and he will totally re-assess the situation or more likely this is a delaying tactic. The FSO cant start proceedings until i have a final position letter from the insurance co - the insurance co wont issue that letter until they have completed their investigation.

Also having driven the car more I am noticing other things - totally intermittently, there seems to be a jump or stiff point in the steering when going to and from full lock - the gear change feels more notchy etc etc .

Given that the front wheel took the brunt of the impact I am surprised that the driveshaft, gearbox, etc were not inspected - or at least I have seen no documentary evidence of this

By the way the company - still dont want to name them but a "communication device on wheels" might give you a clue
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:49   #15
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default RE: Insurance Problem - Update

>This just gets better - the person I was told to write to,
>infact the same person who wrote to me explaining that my
>complaint was being dealt with has infact left the company -
>he left way before my accident so he did very well to send me
>a letter !!!.
>
>I have now written to the chief exec and have subsequently
>been contacted to tell me that they are going to send an
>engineer out to look at it again. They said they prefer to
>send out the same engineer who looked at it before - but he is
>off sick at the moment.

Tell them you don't care about their preferences - that is an entirely internal issue - you as the customer shouldn't be inconvenienced so.

Say you want it sorting out ASAP, give them a timeframe, and make them stick to it - don't forget - complaining high up in the food-chain is what will work, here - but don't be fobbed off by their preferences or be inconvenienced by them not treating it urgently.

Remind them of their sales and advertising blurb about how well they are supposed to deal with claims. And point out that you can be quite (metaphorically) vocal when unhappy and will find countless relevant people to write to, to complain.

>Cant see the point in that - he is the one who said no work
>work was to be carried out !
>
>so ..... I would like to think that someone has had a kick up
>the backside and he will totally re-assess the situation or
>more likely this is a delaying tactic. The FSO cant start
>proceedings until i have a final position letter from the
>insurance co - the insurance co wont issue that letter until
>they have completed their investigation.

So tell them to stop messing you around, don't be happy with the "he's off sick at the moment" and make them attend to it ASAP, rather than letting them off, with accepting *their* preferences.

Surely all appraisals and assessing isn't on hold until one guy is back from being sick - so tell them you want it sorting out ASAP, and you've already been inconvenienced longer than you should have been.

*Their* preferences are *their* worry.

>Also having driven the car more I am noticing other things -
>totally intermittently, there seems to be a jump or stiff
>point in the steering when going to and from full lock - the
>gear change feels more notchy etc etc .
>
>Given that the front wheel took the brunt of the impact I am
>surprised that the driveshaft, gearbox, etc were not inspected
>- or at least I have seen no documentary evidence of this
>
>By the way the company - still dont want to name them but a
>"communication device on wheels" might give you a clue

Given that all you've done, really, is detail what you've experienced and been told, I'm not entirely sure you should worry that much.

But I get the reference... ;-)

As to this, you will need to get things in writing, and ultimately get their response in writing. You need to insist on timescales, and start getting tough on them with this. Once you raise issues in writing, and insist on getting written replies (as well as any other form like telephone) you have something to refer to.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 06:53   #16
c13tay

OK - Today is the day the Insurance Co engineer is coming back to inspect again.

If (big if) he decides that further work can be carried out then I might try to insist that it goes to a volvo dealers - I have no confidence whatsoever in their "approved repairer"

Have to see how it goes

One good thing is that I now have signed written statements form the 2 previous owners, vouching for the condition of the car. It looks pretty good, both are on headed paper, one from a Magistrate and the other from the original owner, a diplomat at the swedish embassy in london.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 09:12   #17
mraldonnelly

One thing for everyone to note for future reference is that you DO NOT need to use the insurers approved repairers.

All insurers have "approved repairers" which in theory is because they are supposed to carry ot the work to a very high standard. I reality however, these approved repairers are chosen because the rates they've offered are a lot less than other repairers. It all boils down to price and at the end of the day, if a repairer is charging a minimal rate for repairs, they are going to have to cut corners somewhere along the lines.

The downside to choosing your own repairer is that the insurance co don't guarantee the work (most offer a minimum 3 year guarantee on the work carried out) so the contract is between you and the chosen repairer. However, as you have discovered, this may not be a bad thing.

I suspect that when the engineer decides rectification is required, you will have to give the original repairer the chance to put it right. Then, and only then, will you be able to have someone else put it right if you're still not happy and the insurance co agree the work is sub-standard.

Good luck today. Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Andy
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 17:31   #18
judgeman

This sounds like an absolute nightmare! I have only just resolved problems after moving house and trying to get my Wanadoo Broadband connection moved to the new house. However, after going through the 'proper channels' I gave up, wrote to BBC Watchdog, 'shouted' at enough managers in Wanadoo, wrote to the MD at Wanadoo, and miraculously everything was sorted out in double quick time.

It certainly helps to write to the guy at the top in any company - he or she may not personally reply to your letter, but they're gonna be pretty cheesed off if your letter is writen consicely, to the point, and in the 'stiffest terms'. They will doubtless out one of their personal staff onto the case, and at this point mentioning that BBC Watchdag are aware of your case seems to go a long way to helping resolve the issue.

I wish you luck. I've never been insured by Direct Line as their quotes have never been competetive. Try Chris Knott through the club - much better.

I look forward to hearing some good news that the necessary have woken up and smelt the coffee, and got your car sorted or properly compensated.

Chris.
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:16   #19
c13tay

Well the engineer came on Friday - doesnt look promising.

I think he had come with an agenda - he has agreed to rectify all the little things ie replacing the fog light (for the second time) the fog light surround etc but the main issues, he said he doesnt think they can do anything.

Where my paint has been buffed to primer he says that the garage wouldnt have done that and it is probably just that i didnt notice it when I bought it.

The bumper/wing alignment he says that that may be due to previous damage cos there is a scuff on that corner of the bumper - he seemed to ignore the fact that i insisted it was correct before.

The power steering leak he said was probably due to wear and tear - I pointed ou that this was a new item only fitted by Volvo 6 months ago. He then said it was a warranty issue with them - again he seemed to ignore the fact that it wasnt leaking prior to the accident.

He was going to submit his report today so i have to wait again
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 09:43   #20
liuleichan
Premier Member

>Well the engineer came on Friday - doesnt look promising.
>
>I think he had come with an agenda - he has agreed to rectify
>all the little things ie replacing the fog light (for the
>second time) the fog light surround etc but the main issues,
>he said he doesnt think they can do anything.
>
>Where my paint has been buffed to primer he says that the
>garage wouldnt have done that and it is probably just that i
>didnt notice it when I bought it.
>
>The bumper/wing alignment he says that that may be due to
>previous damage cos there is a scuff on that corner of the
>bumper - he seemed to ignore the fact that i insisted it was
>correct before.
>
>The power steering leak he said was probably due to wear and
>tear - I pointed ou that this was a new item only fitted by
>Volvo 6 months ago. He then said it was a warranty issue with
>them - again he seemed to ignore the fact that it wasnt
>leaking prior to the accident.
>
>He was going to submit his report today so i have to wait
>again

Don't give them any longer to mess you around - start quoting their insurance documents terms and conditions, and their advertising blurb about how they deal with repairs. Then go to the official complaints procedure - give them a short deadline for a constructive response (ie something that actually details what they will do).

Mention that failure of meeting the deadline means further action with the insurance ombudsman, Citizen Advice Bureau and small claims court - don't accept any more delays, you've been messed around and delayed too much already.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote