Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 d 54 reg fan problem

Views : 1914

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:14   #1
Paul H v70

Exclamation S40 d 54 reg fan problem

Hi all Ive got a problem with my radiator fan it isnt kicking in at all!! just been reading some old posts on regarding Volvo recalling wiring loom problems,just wondering if this could be my problem too.

Just come back from holiday with the touring caravan all ok untill we starting climbing up steep hills then the temp needle went right over to the red and started losing power. We put the heater on full heat then the temp started dropping back down,the fan never kicked in.
Paul H v70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:46   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

the recall was for the fan staying on , but you should visit your dealer and see if your car is covered by this recall , if so you could have a free fix .
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 19:27   #3
Paul H v70

thanks clan will call at dealers on tuesday.
Paul H v70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 15:15   #4
supafly

There is a fault with the wires corroding as they enter the control module. If you're lucky you can take it apart and clean it up, re-solder and you'll be good to go(with some silicone grease to keep it water tight in future.

If your unlucky then like me you'll have to replace the fan and module.
I was quoted approx £200 just for the part (radiator fan)from volvo.
supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 22:20   #5
burnievolvo

Hi. was just searching the forums for an issue same as this I have with my Radiator Cooling fan.

My car is a V50 2.0d. 54 REG Plate

I had the car since 2009, when I first put the Aircon on, and the car overheated and went into Limp Mode. Radiator fan did not kick in.

Never used Aircon Again....70,000 miles later, and still never heard the fan ever.

Thought I would re-investigate the issue, thinking of a new fan, but tested the fan using leads from the 12V batt. and the fan runs up.

Check the 50A F1 fuse, and this is fine also.

Any ideas what I need to check change next, was viewing schematics for car, could it be thermostat sensor/coolant temperature sensor as they both feed into the ECM for a send signal to the cooling fan control module. any ideas on where this cooling fan control module is? or what I can test next, would be great help...

Regards

Last edited by burnievolvo; Jul 14th, 2014 at 22:43.
burnievolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 22:53   #6
Guru
Premier Member

Could be a faulty by-pass valve which is situated in the thermostat housing. In this case the code ECM-2683 would come up if you have a volvo diagnostic check performed, or P2683 when using a generic OBDII diagnostic module..
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 23:39   #7
burnievolvo

Thanks for your pointer. I will have it checked with a diagnostics machine and check the codes.

When you say bypass valve in thermostat housing, do you mean the thermostat. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V50-...p2054897.l4275

Are these pretty easy to change, I would nto like to introduce air into the fuel line, as I have seen when changing the oil filter.

Thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 23:22   #8
Guru
Premier Member

Hi,

After re-reading your original post I realize I must have misunderstood something .. now when you say that you "never heard the fan ever", does that mean that the fan is completely at a halt and doesn't rotate at all while the engine is running?

If so, then surely there's and electrical fault somewhere, either in the loom or in the control module, or in the ECM . The control module is located on the fan's plastic frame "the red circle" >

What I initially understood, was that the fan rotates, but doesn't speed up after activating the aircon .. in which case it maybe caused by the by-pass valve I mentioned earlier, but the one you ebay linked to is not the one I have in mind, that is the thermostat: "9+11 in the pic". The bypass valve I mean is no.2 .. and it's not so easy to purchase, I even looked it up in Ford's Microcat and the valve came up with €327 price tag!

So as I advised earlier, before speculating any further, have your codes read, something is bound to show up.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 23:58   #9
gswede

Common problem. What you guys need to do is to visit the dealer, have them hook up diagnostics and enter the cooling fan module. Then they run the fan from their laptop. I believe it is an el communication issue.

The operation takes no longer than 5 minutes.

I had the same issue, replaced the fan including the shroud (its one unit) to no avail. Hooked up vida dice, ran the fan and good ever since.
gswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 01:35   #10
burnievolvo

Thanks for the information guru. Been looking at all the parts in that area on wiring drawing. More parts keep coming up. I thought initially it may be the cooling temp sensor as that feeds into ECM. Hence faulty not telling fan to come on. I have never heard the fan..... but does work on 12v supply to it. So glad not changed.

Will take to dealers as per last post. But did not want to pay there costs. Hoped it was a obvious part. How much would volvo charge to fix electrical.communication bug? Thanks for reply.....could it not just be that connector module in your photo being faulty. Is that not 4/71 reference in the link...Hard to test I guess. As trigger supply comes from that ECM..

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:/...ZEMZ_WyQEzDgyQ

Slide 58

Thanks again.